Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: A "General CVO Discussion".......or observation  (Read 8774 times)

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
Re: A "General CVO Discussion".......or observation
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »

All

I just saw this thread and like you guys have noticed a trend with regard to participation, as well as the general attitude of the forum membership compared to the past.

I have ridden Harleys, as well as some other makes, for 45 of my 54 years on this rock. I even had a stint working for a dealer, who was a total a$$hole but that's another story. I think you hit the perverbial nail on the head with the thought that this general malaise is tied to the apparent attitude of Harley Corporate as well as a great many of the dealers.

I can't speak for anyone but me but I will sum up how I feel in one word "alienated". I would think that a 54 year old male would be right smack in the wheelhouse of Harleys demographic, and for a great many years I think I was. I remember back in 1991 when the Dynas came out thinking man if they would slap a wide glide on one if these I would trade this Softtail in in a minute. They did and I did. I was really excited every time I rode that sickle and as soon as they came out with a Twin Cam I got one of them too. Fast forward a few years and the triple red RoadGlide tripped my trigger again. Then in 2004, when I worked as a GM at a dealership, the Huckleberry came out and wow, had to have one. It took 10 years before I saw another bike that I wanted.

Now I look at the current offerings and think what in the wide world of sports is Harley thinking. I'm not talking just about the colors because I realize not everyone likes the same thing, but in general they are de-contenting the bikes and charging even more for them. I mean my Road King doesn't have chrome switch housings, bars etc, things that before had generally been virtually guaranteed on a CVO, and if I had not gotten a significant discount I would not have bought it...

Then low and behold the HD Factory guys show up at a MVGTG, in 2016 I believe, and the group, in a very polite and constructive discussion, points out some of the things that they would like to see change. The Reps agree that there has been a trend towards less is more with regard to CVO bikes and then low and behold 2018 rolls around and you can't hardly tell a Street Glide Special from a CVO Street Glide except for the 13K more missing from you bank account. It's ridiculous!!

So if Harley is still monitoring the site, and I hope they are, you guys better get your head out of your butts and start making bikes that fire the passion within your riders, and while you are at it stop this trend of corporate dealership types in favor of good honest owners that have a passion for the brand equal to the riders. At the end of the day, passion, or lack of it, will ultimately decide the fate of HD.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:01:26 AM by SHRADER »
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 02:31:50 AM »

Well said Shrader

ultrarider123

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 06:51:03 AM »

I love this site.  You guys are the greatest.... ;D

.....Have a great, safe and blessed day today.....  :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:56:06 AM by Haird »

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »

bean counters!! makes a great presentation to corporate leaders and shareholders! :pepper: :cucumber: :jalapeno: :carrot: :apple: but,not so much to the folks having to ride and deal with the fallout from cost saving measures. seen it time and time again. if, you save $$$s and the company fails because no one wants your product what have you gained? :-\ :( i feel a lot like schrader!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »

So if Harley is still monitoring the site, and I hope they are, you guys better get your head out of your butts and start making bikes that fire the passion within your riders, and while you are at it stop this trend of corporate dealership types in favor of good honest owners that have a passion for the brand equal to the riders. At the end of the day, passion, or lack of it, will ultimately decide the fate of HD.

Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson, in Maryville TN is a dealer, where the Owner has a brand passion.  He is an avid Rider, has a couple of built bikes, and rides the tar out of them.  He led rides at the Greater Smokey Mountain HOGZ rally, was involved with it all 7 Days.  He leads a ride to Daytona each year.  He does a ride the Blue Ridge.  He is in the Store most days, and is available.  He sponsors Project Ride More, which is a guide 250 to 300 mile ride of very unique back roads, many hard to find on a map.  He has some on lead it an sweep it. This is once a week.    Now if you look at the Store you would say Corporate dealership, as its huge, and has a bar, and a restaurant and concert venue.  But it is owned by one man, who begged harley for 10 plus years to let him open a store.  He finally did in 2004.  He is the #1 dealer this year.

I sure do agree with you on the de-contenting the bikes.  Seems CVO's loose more and more special features, and the price keeps climbing.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »

AND, as was said above, less is never more, MORE IS MORE plain and simple.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »

I love my FLHTCUSE8 Annv, the best HD I have ever owned.  At 5 years old I would have normally purchased a new one however, HD is producing nothing that makes me want to trade up.  They all look the same and the "improvements" are nothing really earth shattering.  HD has lost their passion and I have lost my passion for HD.  I do keep the passion for my bike and that will never go away.  Its a shame but it appears that HD is not concerned about people like me.     

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »

I love my FLHTCUSE8 Annv, the best HD I have ever owned.  At 5 years old I would have normally purchased a new one however, HD is producing nothing that makes me want to trade up.  They all look the same and the "improvements" are nothing really earth shattering.  HD has lost their passion and I have lost my passion for HD.  I do keep the passion for my bike and that will never go away.  Its a shame but it appears that HD is not concerned about people like me.     

Like us!   I feel exactly the same way on all points.  I have the 2013 with not a thing wrong with it, extended warranty until Jun 2020 and was offered more on trade in from BMW than from Harley Davidson by $500 but that was only $14,850.  Not going to happen! 

It's paid for, nothing wrong with it and extended warranty.  I'll ride it until Jun 2020.....I'll be 70 then so I'll make a decision at that time but it will not be a Harley......tired of getting ripped off.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 05:26:17 PM »

Like us!   I feel exactly the same way on all points.  I have the 2013 with not a thing wrong with it, extended warranty until Jun 2020 and was offered more on trade in from BMW than from Harley Davidson by $500 but that was only $14,850.  Not going to happen! 

It's paid for, nothing wrong with it and extended warranty.  I'll ride it until Jun 2020.....I'll be 70 then so I'll make a decision at that time but it will not be a Harley......tired of getting ripped off.

No kidding.   Let’s hope the 19’s have at least one without denim, blackouted,and boring that make the standard lineup look good.  Safe bet I’ll be on my 2011

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »

I passed on "celebrating the bikes" from day one. For me it's been all about the rides, GTGs and the people you meet along the way. This years ride in Yosemite was small, maybe next year will be smaller, or larger. I just want to see my friends and ride and have fun.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »

I passed on "celebrating the bikes" from day one. For me it's been all about the rides, GTGs and the people you meet along the way. This years ride in Yosemite was small, maybe next year will be smaller, or larger. I just want to see my friends and ride and have fun.

Well said

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 11:25:59 AM »

Well said

I agree. lot of great info & camaraderie here. bikes are mechanical machines & are going to fail at some point. I agree that we all have issues that probably shouldn't be ( & on a continuous basis). but for me, I love the people here, the friendliness & the fellowship ( love the GTG's, great spirit & a willingness to always try helping one another.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »

Right on and its a Harley forum, lol!

Well said

I agree. lot of great info & camaraderie here. bikes are mechanical machines & are going to fail at some point. I agree that we all have issues that probably shouldn't be ( & on a continuous basis). but for me, I love the people here, the friendliness & the fellowship ( love the GTG's, great spirit & a willingness to always try helping one another.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »

It is nye on to 3pm Friday August 3, 2018 and not one post has been made thus far this month in the CVO Motorcycle Discussions...

2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

ultrarider123

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »

It is nye on to 3pm Friday August 3, 2018 and not one post has been made thus far this month in the CVO Motorcycle Discussions...

....bored?..... ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 25 queries.