Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My bike is not accelerating like it should.  (Read 2445 times)

DHF

• SC

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited Anniversary
My bike is not accelerating like it should.
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:27:44 PM »

First of all, I am new to the CVO Limited. I have ridden sport bikes most of my life. I went for a ride on some country roads today. It only has 600 miles on it, the EITMS is enabled, the engine fluids are normal and I am running 93 octane gas like I always do.  The air temperature was 83 according to the display. The bike accelerated nicely until it got hot. Then it became very sluggish when I tried to accelerate. It acted like only one cylinder was working, a bad spark plug or something like that. The EITMS should not effect it above idle should it?  I know there could be multiple reasons, but does anyone have any idea what it might be? I am not sure how hot the bike got because there is no way to know as far as I know. I am use to sport bikes and never had this problem. Do these bikes just perform poorly when they get hot? Or do you think I should just take it to the dealer for a check up? Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:53:22 PM by DHF »
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: My bike is not accelerating like it should.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »

You may want to look at the Milwaukee-Eight board regarding "Sump(ing)". :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 11:45:05 PM »

First of all, I am new to the CVO Limited. I have ridden sport bikes most of my life. I went for a ride on some country roads today. It only has 600 miles on it, the EITMS is enabled, the engine fluids are normal and I am running 93 octane gas like I always do.  The air temperature was 83 according to the display. The bike accelerated nicely until it got hot. Then it became very sluggish when I tried to accelerate. It acted like only one cylinder was working, a bad spark plug or something like that. The EITMS should not effect it above idle should it?  I know there could be multiple reasons, but does anyone have any idea what it might be? I am not sure how hot the bike got because there is no way to know as far as I know. I am use to sport bikes and never had this problem. Do these bikes just perform poorly when they get hot? Or do you think I should just take it to the dealer for a check up? Thanks for your help.
Uh-ohh
Alan

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:29:00 AM »

Running in to an exceptional headwind  :nixweiss: ?

(just trying to be optimistic...... )

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 03:28:07 AM »

Running in to an exceptional headwind  :nixweiss: ?

(just trying to be optimistic...... )

Your comment here rates a full "1.5."

Oil, wax/polish, & nitrogen vs air have been ruled out.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »

Get it to your dealer. Explain exactly the circumstances when you felt the loss of power. Ask them to read SB1450 if they say “they all do that”.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:02:59 PM by Heatwave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »

Your comment here rates a full ".5 "

Fingers ?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »

Fingers ?

EBCM Gold Standard "assumed" to be 1.5.   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

DHF

• SC

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »

I dropped it off at the dealership today and explained everything that happened.  It is a 50 mile ride from my house to the dealership. It was 93 degrees outside and the bike acted normal the entire ride there. I hope they can reproduce the problem and figure out what is going on. Is this sumping problem a continuous problem or does it happen sporadically?
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 04:27:52 PM »

EBCM Gold Standard "assumed" to be 1.5.   :nixweiss:

:2vrolijk_21:

(still wondering about the headwind)

harleytacticalnut

• Harleytacticalnut
  • Full CVO Member
  • Don’t Tread On Me
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE,
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE, 2017 FLHXSE, 2018 FLTRXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLTRXSE, 2020 FLHTKSE, 2021 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 11:02:29 PM »

I dropped it off at the dealership today and explained everything that happened.  It is a 50 mile ride from my house to the dealership. It was 93 degrees outside and the bike acted normal the entire ride there. I hope they can reproduce the problem and figure out what is going on. Is this sumping problem a continuous problem or does it happen sporadically?
Once the bike cools down it runs better. But if it is truely sumping you will start noticing it when oil temps get around 220-240f , You will be able to notice the smell of the oil boiling off and off gassing. Then you will notice an immediate sluggish performance. The lower crankcase is filling up with oil which means the upper end is starving for oil. Once this starts happening there will be real serious damage to start setting in. Possible catastrophic failure.
I hope this helps a little.
I would do as others have suggested.
However I have been thru this as well.
First off I would call Harley to make the first complaint about loss of power on such a new bike and make sure to voice your displeasure right off the top for what you paid for this bike and that you would appreciate a return phone call from a supervisor. This will immediately escalate your case and it will be your first well documented notice to Harley and make sure you state your current mileage.
Then get the bike to your servicing dealer to request them to perform the SB 1450 to verify for sumping. Make sure you get a service ticket every time you check your bike in and out and for the same issue so be very specific.
Give the dealer and Harley at least 3 chances to repair the bike correctly or if they haven’t repaired it after being in the shop for 30 days for the same problem.
 They will be obligated for 18 months under most lemon laws to purchase that bike back from you for what you paid for the bike including taxes, fees, etc, minus depreciation for the mileage on the bike when you make your first complaint about the problem.
Make sure you get service tickets every time you have contact with them.
You will now have the legal leverage against them to send them a certified letter informing them of their legal obligation to either replace your bike or refund you every dime paid for such bike minus mileage depreciation.
Once the letter is sent then open an arbitration case with BBB automotive / motorcycle complaint board. This sends a clear signal to Harley they are screwed.
Trust me from experience if your bike is sumping you will need all the legal leverage you can muster up against Harley.
Best case is it is fine and everyone goes on their way with no harm done.
The wonderful thing with this approach is you can do this, defend yourself and your cause honestly and never have to hire an attorney and you will have all the legal leverage to force Harley into a buyback legally.
The longer you allow them to string you out and manipulate you the less leverage you will have until the customer is completely out of leverage. Then Harley wins!!!!!!!
Hope your bike checks out just fine and good luck bro.
Defend the 2nd Amendment with your life

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.