Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What glue for hand grips?  (Read 1157 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
What glue for hand grips?
« on: April 05, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »

Today I went for a ride and used my heated hand grips.  The heat melted the glue on the right one for the throttle. IT's a weird feeling to give it gas in a curve and not have anything there.  Or to look down and the grip is 1/4 of the way off.   What glue is used to glue them back on?  I think they need to come off, if needed, so I don't want to have them on so tight that they won't come off.  What has worked for you?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: What glue for hand grips?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:16:56 PM »

Loosen the controls clamp a smidge, slide it back on, tighten clamps. The end of the grip is not engaging the gear on the end of the throttle sensor. Leave a little play in it but not much.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:18:34 PM by OBB »
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 08:42:59 AM »

As OBB said, the grip is retained by the switch housing.  If the grip came loose, odds are the screws holding the two halves of the switch housing came loose enough to allow the lip of the grip to come out of the groove in the housing.  You don't want to make the grip so tight it binds, btw, it still needs a little in and out play, but not enough to disengage the throttle sensor.

OR, did you mean the outer part of the grip became detached from the inner plastic sleeve?  Shouldn't happen, but then again we are talking about a Harley.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 10:38:45 AM »

OR, did you mean the outer part of the grip became detached from the inner plastic sleeve?  Shouldn't happen, but then again we are talking about a Harley.

Jerry

That's what I was assuming after reading the original post.  It's on the right side where they were never glued on to begin with and just that has happened to me a couple times over the years. 

If that's the issue don't feel alone.  I had it on an old rattletrap of a bike a very long time ago and again maybe a 18 months ago on my Road King.  It's a weird feeling when you twist the grip and nothing happens.  I pulled over to the side of the road long enough to figure out what had just happened then slid the housing off and stuck it in my coat pocket and rode away.  When I got home later put the outer housing back on with a coat of Gorilla Glue.

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 08:34:32 PM »

This happened to me. The rubber part of the heated grip actually began to spin on the sleeve. If this is the case O.P. your best bet (IMHO) is to just buy a replacement grip. The wiring (heating wires) for the heated grip is in between the plastic sleeve and the grip and wraps around the sleeve.

Trying to re glue the grip and slide it back on the sleeve AND keep the heating wires where they need to be will prove to be nearly impossible. I was able to purchase a factory heated grip for the throttle side only. This is actually the easier of the two to replace. The plug connection for the wiring is under the chrome end cap of the grip.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »

I think Don hit it right.  The throttle works fine. The outer grip slides off the inner plastic sheath.  I have after market heated grips (Heat Demons) on my '09 and they are inside the handle bar as I understand it.  They work great, but things inside get pretty warm in order to get heat to the outside grip.  It looks like they used a rubber-base cement of some kind.  I'll check with the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.  Stay tuned
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:25:24 AM by Indenial »
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 12:17:31 AM »

I think Don hit it right.  The throttle works fine. The outer grip slides off the inner plastic sheaf.  I have after market heated grips (Heat Demons) on my '09 and they are inside the handle bar as I understand it.  They work great, but things inside get pretty warm in order to get heat to the outside grip.  It looks like they used a rubber-base cement of some kind.  I'll check with the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.  Stay tuned

My bike that did this also has the Heat Demons.  It has ISO grips but they use a nothing special rubber cement in there too.  I'd not worry about old fashioned "Grip Glue" as a fix.  I just happened to have a bottle of Gorilla Glue in the supply cabinet in the garage so that was my no-new-cost fix for the problem.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »

If you use Gorilla Glue, use very sparingly. The kind that comes in the little bottle expands when dry.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 08:26:20 AM »

Yes it does expand.  A lot.

Also learned that gorilla glue is not made from real gorillas.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »

Well, it worked.  I used clear Gorilla Glue.  I spritzed some water inside the grip and placed 3 beads along the plastic sleeve, then I pushed the grip on 3/4 of the way and rotated it a couple of times and cleaned  the excess off before I pressed it all the way on.  Then I clamped it with a round grip clamp, using a microfiber under it.  Let set for 24 hrs.  Went for a ride yesterday and used the heated hand grips and everything worked fine.  Problem solved.  Thanks guys

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »

Well, it worked.  I used clear Gorilla Glue.  I spritzed some water inside the grip and placed 3 beads along the plastic sleeve, then I pushed the grip on 3/4 of the way and rotated it a couple of times and cleaned  the excess off before I pressed it all the way on.  Then I clamped it with a round grip clamp, using a microfiber under it.  Let set for 24 hrs.  Went for a ride yesterday and used the heated hand grips and everything worked fine.  Problem solved.  Thanks guys

Well done!  Don't you love cheap women fixes for your scooter?

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »

You bet. Sure beats the "HD" fix-------------------hundred dollars

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »

Good to hear I am not the only one to use GG. I did it years ago on my old WG, prolly have to cut the grip off if I ever want to change bars.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »

We used hairspray many times. Goes on very easily and sticks great. Can't remember if it would last very long or not
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.