Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Erratic Movement of the Gas Gauge  (Read 7578 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: Erratic Movement of the Gas Gauge
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »

Screem, my man.  You have been through the ringer  :-\.  After your tale of woe, my erratic gauge doesn't sound so bad.  Its been awhile since I've been on the forum, but as an earlier post suggested, mine did seem to improve as the weather warmed up.  Sorry Screem that your repair went so wrong.  I think you have every right to expect the dealer to do their job and do a quality repair. 
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 09:23:56 AM »

Hey Blue, well the result of all the messing around with my dealership was this, the gauge they installed now works...sort of;it reads full for the first 2.5 gallons of fuel..then slowly move to half tank reading with 1.5  gallons left...the erratic movement stopped!!! but the accuracey isnt what it was. The actual gauge face matches....but the bezel is slightly different than the othree gauges, I thought I would wear em down and make fix these problems until I was totaly satisfied....But I have finally said uncle and give up, I dont believe they are capable of fixing this problem, they should be...but arent
           I did however persist on the bill and got most all of it credited back except for $55.00 ...the actual cost of the gauge. BTW the dealer in question is FORT MYERS HARLEY DAVIDSON, if anyone is visiting the area this a great place to buy a tee shirt, other than that good luck. :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »

Does Harley have a government contract ?  I noticed the shuttle was grounded again because of a defective fuel gauge. :nixweiss:  Doc

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »

Well after extensive research, (just riding around) I think my issue is the fuel tank float. Whenever I hear the fuel slosh around inside the tank, the needle moves erratically mirroring the moving fuel. When the tank is full, it reads full, at half, it reads half, at less than half it reads erractially. I guess that's why I depend on the trip odometer to give me a better idea of fuel consumption. I'm guessing that this problem is probably more common than a bad guage.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »

When I picked up my bike , the dealer told me fuel gauge was good till 1/2 tank, then don't trust it as there is no reserve and AAA won't come.
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 05:51:18 AM »

Like you fine folks, I have complained about my gas gauge - a lot.  Have had it repaired a half dozen times.  The repairs has involved much labor, some parts being replaced and it never, never, never, never is reliable.  Just finally gave up looking at it.  Use the odometer and have not had a problem again.  The 98 road king's gauge has always worked reliably up to a year ago.  Had to purchase a new sending unit and had it installed.  It again works perfectly.  The only bad thing about that one is the warning light comes on too soon ===== You can go another 30 miles when it starts to glow yellow, but that is the same as before and now.  I guess having a gauge is better than sticking a stick in the tank, but overall the odometer guide just seems to work better for planning purposes. 

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 06:06:54 AM »

I have to say my new 08 is much more consistent than the 06 or the 04.  Maybe the new tank design helps?
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 09:07:31 AM »

I have to say my new 08 is much more consistent than the 06 or the 04.  Maybe the new tank design helps?

I'm glad to hear they fixed the insides. Does the gauge on your '08 fog up like the rest of ours?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »

I'm glad to hear they fixed the insides. Does the gauge on your '08 fog up like the rest of ours?

Not yet...but I have only ridden in rain and snow ... and washed twice...
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 20 queries.