Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luggage rack for 2011 Convertible  (Read 2098 times)

ironpony

• Ironpony
  • 2011 Soft tail convertivble CVO

• CVO1: FLSTSE2
Luggage rack for 2011 Convertible
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:45:23 AM »

Does Harley make a standard luggage rack to fit the sissy bar of a 2011 convertible ?  The parts book always has the "disclaimer" about many parts not compatible with CVO bikes....Anyone mounted a Harley rack and are there any "fit" issues?  thanks, ben
Retired Army Colonel .. former Medevac pilot ... now fly a 2004 Cirrus SR-22G2 and ride a 2011 Softail convertible CVO ... Pony up!

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Luggage rack for 2011 Convertible
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »

I know I purchased the smaller luggage rack that goes behind the sissy bar on a 2011.  It matches the rounded piping of the sissy bar which is different than the 2010 which is squared piping.  Also, Harley is not telling anybody that the 2011 CVO Softail will accommodate the trunk support that only a few of us bought for the 2010.  It fits perfectly but they did not make a 'trunk' for the 2011 with matching alimigator trim as not enough people bought the 2010 with buffalo so they did not want to invest that direction.  My 2010 trunk/support fits perfectly with my '11 softail.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:14:17 PM »

I added the airwing rack with light kit.  Looks great, but wiring the light was a pain.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

i also put the air wing rack, looks great , comes with rubber to go over the screws so as to not scratch paint when taking on and off, didnt know about the lighting though..... have to look at that one

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »

I will post a pic of mine later.

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:22:27 AM »

just purchased the same rack with red leds, dealer says it plugs in under the seat.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »

Not true that it plugs in directly.  You are going to have to splice it in.  look thru a service manual for the correct colors, then verify with test light.  I too was looking for the connection like it shows on the diagram that came with the light kit.  That connector is there on my father in laws heritage, but not mine.  Good  luck, let me know if I can be of service.

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »

Hey, The rack I went with is in the 2011 Harley parts book. It is on page 240, part 53953-06. It is a chrome, round bar rack, matches the sissy bar very well, took about 10 minutes to put on, no issues that I can see so far. Good luck. Ride safe!!!
Craig

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 09:22:26 PM »

Just a quick reply...  If you put the areowing luggage rack with LED light on you need to search my posts... I did the same on my 2010 and I researched and came up with a nice (I think) way to wire it.

In short....the "plug-in" under the seat requires an adaptor that plugs into the exhisting tail light harness.  There was not one avqilable when I did mine (or it was the wrong plugs) so I made my own (see my post).  I additionally ran the wire through the chrome trim cover on the fender support bracket and installed a waterproof plug on the same chrome bracket making it truely quik disconect.  If you take off your buddy pad for a ride you have to remove the seat to get at the connector...I did not like that idea...

Gotta run so if there are questions I can provide more info and better pix...

PS - drilling the chrome of the cover was a PITA but it is not TOO expensive to replace if you mess it up!

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.