Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cam/Lifter Change - Retain Stock Pushrods?  (Read 5434 times)

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTC Vivid Black (soon to be for sale!)
Cam/Lifter Change - Retain Stock Pushrods?
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »

Greetings,
Haven't posted in a while, caught up w/busyness. So much so I'm taking the bike to an Indy for cam & lifter change and to get the Fullsac DX pipes put on rather than do it myself. The cams are the Crusher (Kuryakin) TC24 (w/new bearings) and Wood directional lifters. Today I was telling the Indy which parts I have for the job, including a set of Fuel Moto quick adjustable push rods. He suggested keeping the stock push rods. My understanding was that cam change meant adjustable pushrods, partly due to base circle difference affecting the valve train geometry. After some searching on the net I think he isn't totally off base. Looks like part of the deal with the adjustable PRs is purely the convenience/time saving of not taking the top end apart. The TC24 is advertised as a "drop in" cam that doesn't require changing springs, etc., so the PR length difference is probably well within the capability of the lifter to take up. Bike is '15 CVO Road Glide @ 11k miles; only thing I've done so far is change out the baffles with the Fullsac ones I got with the pipes.
So, I'm just checking here with you sage mechanics to see what you think - reuse the stock or go with adjustable? The Indy's price was certainly very reasonable, even with taking the top end off. I guess I could get him to install the Rocker Lockers that I bought many months ago and have never put in! :D
Thanks in advance.
Joe B

J.D.

Re: Cam/Lifter Change - Retain Stock Pushrods?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »

Generally more labor reusing stock pushrods vs adjustables but both will work fine.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:33:20 AM »

Assuming (which is a bad thing to do most of the time) the base circle diameter is the same as or at least very close to the stock cam, running the stock single piece pushrods is fine.  As noted earlier, it adds to the labor cost compared to using adjustable rods.  Find out how much extra your guy is going to charge to pull the tank and rocker covers to reuse the stock pushrods.  Compare that to the price of the adjustable rods and see if it makes economic sense.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:35:40 AM »

I'll look at my install sheet from the 24D's, but I am thinking the installation sheet tell you that adjustables are required.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:47:16 AM »

Yep if these new camshafts have a smaller base circle, and/or the stacked height to the rocker arms changes (e.g. thinner head gaskets) then possibly the stock pushrods aren't the way to go.  But if your mechanic does go this route then it is a good idea to install the rocker lockers at the same time.

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:58:56 AM »

Yep if these new camshafts have a smaller base circle, and/or the stacked height to the rocker arms changes (e.g. thinner head gaskets) then possibly the stock pushrods aren't the way to go.  But if your mechanic does go this route then it is a good idea to install the rocker lockers at the same time.
I'm searching for what is stock cams in 2015 110" engine... is it SE255? If I can find specs can compare with TC24. Just changing cams & exhaust, no head gaskets, etc., so it's mainly a labor difference.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Joe B

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »

A quick Google search would suggest these Crusher cams may in fact have a smaller than stock base circle diameter, which likely means stock pushrods won't be the best option.

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »

A quick Google search would suggest these Crusher cams may in fact have a smaller than stock base circle diameter, which likely means stock pushrods won't be the best option.
I have both spec sheets but neither one gives base circle diameter. I'm not smart enough on cam technology to figure it out. Without the diameter given how does one infer the 24 has smaller circle than 255? Thanks

Joe B

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »

There should be literature available on the camshafts from the manufacturer, or break out the precision measuring tools and do some simple math.

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 12:05:30 PM »

I have both spec sheets but neither one gives base circle diameter. I'm not smart enough on cam technology to figure it out. Without the diameter given how does one infer the 24 has smaller circle than 255? Thanks

I guess since the 24D has higher lift @TDC, that would mean the base circle has to be smaller?

Joe B

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »

Right below the cam specs shown on the 24D instruction sheet is a disclaimer say the use of adjustables is required. Thst is saying that the base circle is smaller than stock
Most great stores start with a bad decision

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 05:20:11 PM »

There is a third option for those who aren't big fans of heavy adjustable pushrods.  Harley sells what they call Perfect Fit one piece pushrods in longer than stock sizes to compensate for higher lift cams. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »

Right below the cam specs shown on the 24D instruction sheet is a disclaimer say the use of adjustables is required. Thst is saying that the base circle is smaller than stock
Thanks, correct. I read over the instructions in the box with the cams. All the aftermarket cams probably say that. To do it properly the correct measurements should be taken. Or use an adjustable for trial fit to measure and order fixed length. I've done this before myself and used adjustable PRs.

Joe B

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 05:52:48 PM »

There is a third option for those who aren't big fans of heavy adjustable pushrods.  Harley sells what they call Perfect Fit one piece pushrods in longer than stock sizes to compensate for higher lift cams. 

Jerry
Right, after taking all the measurements. Since the only things changing in this case are lifters and cams most folks would cut out the stock PRs and replace with the adjustable set. Indy is suggesting reusing stock PRs.

Joe B
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.