Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: RPM vs MPH vs Gear  (Read 10757 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: RPM vs MPH vs Gear
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »

On a heavy touring machine the true trick is to establish peak torque asap and allow for it to carry out as far as possible.
Peak torque at 4500 on a heavy touring bike is absolutely absurd. One would have a hole worn in the toe of their boot from constantly working the gear shifter.........
Scott

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »

It's not peaking at 4500, once it peaks it holds and 4500 is when it starts to decline. I appreciate your concern for my taste in riding though.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »

I'm also above 100 pounds of torque below 2500 ;)

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »

Hallelujah and pass the peas..........

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »

Hallelujah and pass the peas..........

I don't eat peas, how about a nice tall glass of STFU?  :2vrolijk_21:

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 10:30:13 PM »

I guess I should have been more clear. I was referring to where the torque starts coming on strong and then riding it through its band to shift. I'm a little reluctant to put a big cam in my bike. I know what a big cam in a Camaro does to stall speed and shift points for everyday streetability. I've run big cams in cb750s as well and that shift of moving the torque curve to the right can be tiring if you do a lot of in town riding. Not that it can't be done, and it is fun for sure, but for me and with this bike I will opt for all the torque I can get and that it come on just off idle if at all possible. Whatever the hp number becomes is second fiddle for me as I'm only good past 80 mph during quick passes and then it's back down under 80.
Referring back to the OP, I do like the idea of expanding the distance between shifts so if I can start low and hold out on the next shift because the motor is still making power then he'll yes I want that option. But to tell you the truth, I nearly never use 6th gear as it is right now and in town fifth gear kind of the red headed step child as well since this motor with just the full sac package runs strong and is still easily pulling in fourth at 60mph

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 10:50:57 PM »

Why would anybody care what they shift at under normal conditions. I can not fathom looking at a tach in a normal have a good time ride, to determine it is time to shift. Very strange to me.
Also, the CVO bikes will pull 6th above 45/50  mph, why would you not use it until you were going 75? Just a strange thread.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 05:41:52 AM »

I don't eat peas, how about a nice tall glass of STFU?  :2vrolijk_21:

I'll have to try some when I put MY biker costume on, and pose......... :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:42:11 AM by HILLSIDECYCLE.COM »

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »

Why would anybody care what they shift at under normal conditions. I can not fathom looking at a tach in a normal have a good time ride, to determine it is time to shift. Very strange to me.

x2 When the thread came out I really could not remember what rpm I shifted at except to sixth where there has been quite a bit of discussion. I came from the world of dirt bikes and we shifted when the motor needed it based on the sum of many conditions. It is an instinctive thing after a while.

After I looked at it more analytically this last trip I found that I run the bike from 2200 to 3300 on average but I like to cruise on level road under light load at 2300ish. It just sounds leisurely and quiet. Running down the road in fifth gear at 3300rpm is loud and frenetic. Time to stomp the heal. ;) On the flip side  I have no fear of revving the thing and will go to red line any time I feel the need so no babied bike here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.