Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Option A or B? Opinions welcomed!  (Read 12858 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Option A or B? Opinions welcomed!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »

And you did have one of the best! Doug is who tuned my bike and isn't just the best in the state but one of the best in North America. He flys all over to train folks. Was just up in Canada teaching a big shop. He is THE professor when it comes to the science of fuel airflow, engine dynamics etc. and not just for HD's. In fact he trained the Ducati factory on EFI mapping. Great guy who will talk your ear off!  :D

If he did your's you have an excellent map!
I sure do. My bike has never run better. He's amazing. I trailered her 240 miles each way to let him work his magic.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »

Getting ready to upgrade the 110. Added a Fullsac header and 2.25 cores as posted about recently.

Next is to give the motor a little more umph!

Option A

Cam, mild headwork, new lifters, springs and rods. Leave the factory pistons and throttle body.
Cost in the $12-1500 range.
Expected numbers around 110hp with 125tq

Option B

Cam, more headwork, new lifters, springs, rods, 112 pistons, 58mm throttle body with larger injectors.
Cost $3500 range
Expected number around 125hp with 140tq

Custom map of course with both options.

Big total Dyno numbers are not my goal. Peak curve to the left side graff more important. Running a bagger at its limits top end isn't as fun to me as the feeling when I roll on the throttle around town. Let's face it, how often can you run your bike over a 100mph anyway? Durability and reliability important. Running on pump gas only.

For the extra $2k will my "ass dyno" really be able to feel the difference between the two options? Heck, just loosing the cat and adding the exhaust was an improvement.

My current numbers are 93hp and 104tq.

Suggestions as to either options as well as components for either case?

Thanks

As others have posted, your HP / TQ #s are a bit optimistic for what works in a touring bike, I'd be a little skeptical of the source.

I'd go with Jswerve's option C with a TTS from Fullsac with their canned map and K&N filter element (you're going to need a Tuner with any other options anyway :nixweiss:) and see if that does it for you...

If you still want more, I'd skip "A" and go right to "B" since you want the curve to the Left, and the 255s give that.  It's much less heartache (and a lot less $$) to go "all in right off the bat" with a proven combination than "upgrading" over time. Yes, your butt dyno will feel a big difference with a well sorted 113!

There are several Reputable Builders on this forum that have the Bagger 113 combinations "dialed in". You might look at some of their Dyno Sheets that are posted here, and consult with them (see less heartache above LOL). 

My 2 cents; S&S Lifters no matter what you decide, if you go to larger TB, SE, if you go adjustable Push Rods, SE. CR 10.5 or less. SE HD Clutch Spring.

I know it's not part of your question, the Baker DD7 will make any bagger much more responsive around town.

JMHO, your results may vary...

Let us know what you decide ?   
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »

Before dumping coin in to the bike, I would check out the health of your crank.  Mine was 9 though out and started to gouge out my stock oil pump leading straight to a failure. If you crank is OK then proceed to plan b. The gains are terrific. I would expect around 120 120 however.  lets be realistic.     
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 09:48:53 PM »

Before dumping coin in to the bike, I would check out the health of your crank.  Mine was 9 though out and started to gouge out my stock oil pump leading straight to a failure. If you crank is OK then proceed to plan b. The gains are terrific. I would expect around 120 120 however.  lets be realistic.     

Good point  :2vrolijk_21: When I had cams done my crank run out was .0065

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »

Good point  :2vrolijk_21: When I had cams done my crank run out was .0065
When my 120r blew up a few weeks ago and they tore it down my crank run out was .006
Alan

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 aka The Bee
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 01:48:31 AM »

How hard is it to check how true the crank is before doing plan whatever? I suppose that may make a difference if it's not going to hold up to the extra stresses without me doing the bottom end as well.  :-\

Got 9k on it now.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 08:19:27 AM »

How hard is it to check how true the crank is before doing plan whatever? I suppose that may make a difference if it's not going to hold up to the extra stresses without me doing the bottom end as well.  :-\

Got 9k on it now.

Easy procedure once the cam chest is pulled apart.  I made a simple tool using an old camplate...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »

If you're wanting to keep what ever reliability you have (and the warranty or extended warranty), I'd stick with plan A.  You're definately going to tell the difference by the seat of the pants dyno.  Or, if you just have to do it and start doing cams, headwork, etc. well..........it doesn't stop there.  You better bring the bank with you.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »

If you're wanting to keep what ever reliability you have (and the warranty or extended warranty), I'd stick with plan A.  You're definately going to tell the difference by the seat of the pants dyno.  Or, if you just have to do it and start doing cams, headwork, etc. well..........it doesn't stop there.  You better bring the bank with you.

No warranty anymore and opted not to do an extended one. Figured I'd save the up front money and pay out of pocket for whatever ails her down the road if needed.

As far as reliability, if done properly that shouldn't be an issue. In fact it should be better than what MoCo has in there by upgrading the components.

And for the record, Option A would void any such warranty as well.

My indie is upfront as to what it's going to cost and what I may expect in performance for what budget I set. My original post pretty much laid that out.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »

You are in the land of greats as far as people to get tuning done.
Razorback, Bob Thoma, is in Whitehall, WI. An excellent tuner builder.

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »

On the same subject,

If one decided to do Option B, why wouldn't I opt to bore the heads and upgrade to a 124 verses 113 or 117? It's the same head work and imagine similar parts costs? No replacement for displacement right?

If you were going to add in domed pistons etc, why not put in bigger ones?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »

You are right on.
The fixed costs are the same as long as the cases are being bored and the crank prepared.
At the end of the day a lower compression low lift cam 124 is a lot more happy motor than a high compression 113 or 117". Very fun to ride and long lasting. I do these often because of exactly what you mentioned. Being in close proximity to S&S these builds happen out of their speed center very easily and painlessly. Most of the time they cost about $5.5K plus tuner pipes clutch and labor to install. Really you are knocking on the door of a 124LC crate motor cost though and then you have your motor as a spare at resale time plus the 124LC comes with a 2 year warranty.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »

harley will use any excuse to void your warranty. After you do this they won't honor it. Air filter,pipes and a good tune. after the warranty ends then go for it :bananarock:

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 07:23:10 AM »

On the same subject,

If one decided to do Option B, why wouldn't I opt to bore the heads and upgrade to a 124 verses 113 or 117? It's the same head work and imagine similar parts costs? No replacement for displacement right?

If you were going to add in domed pistons etc, why not put in bigger ones?

You can't get to 124 without changing the crank to a longer stroke and machining the cases.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »

I built a 113 and works very well.   I like the 113.  Very smooth running. Mild compression at around 10.5.  Most of my parts came from GMR (I already had a set of cams) and my tune was done a Wide Open Cycles.  I didn't even consider the stock crank as being worth my build, so Steve at GMR had an S&S crank sent to me.  I guess I went with option F.

One last question.  What is this warranty thing everyone is talking about?   :nixweiss:

Chris
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:07:46 AM by cmashark »
Chris

2021 FLHXSE
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.