Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Intresting artical re valve train noise  (Read 11671 times)

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Re: Intresting artical re valve train noise
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »

"We do not post how we build our cranks,"

That's cause you send them to Darkhorse. You've stated that many times over the years.
 Over.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:21:15 AM by Ridgerunr »
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »

Well truth be told a hobbiest found and published this finding. Credit should go to him. It is now "public domain". This is not a first. End users find all sorts of good information and publish it. Of course the wheat has to be pulled from the chaf but at the end of the day these boards can help develop and evolve the motors to a certain extent. Vendors can learn from their findings. Vendors should give back too if they choose to be on these boards. I am not saying give away critical information. But so much of this is now public domain or just not market nitch worthy stuff.

I am not sure tightening these shafts is worth the effort to mess with, along the same lines as shimming rocker end play. Perhaps I am wrong but I never noticed the witness marks. I will pin mine and with the forged supports they are the proper end clearance.

I have heard quiet twin cam valve trains and that was accomplished even with 10/30 GTX oil preload set somewhere in the middle. Matching the parts is the best hedge to noise and a very high quality valve job that is concentric, low leak down lifters, factory spec rocker bushing clearance, the proper valve spring pressure, rigid pushrods, and a cam with reasonable ramps. The rest is the last 5% of the solution IMO.

Good thing we don't live in an "either or world", my way or the highway, despite some folks trying to convince us of that. Good thing we have the freedom to discuss and evaluate all the options. I am grateful for that and all that contribute.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 04:11:52 PM »

What gets me here is for years now we all have bin searching for some kind of cure to the ticking problem. Even if the problem consists of several factors, all of which need to be addressed one at a time to have some results. So, for years we have bin playing with lifters, pre-load, etc etc etc.  Now, a member from a different forum discovered a area that is a potential cause of some of the noise. And all of a sudden folk are piping in on this forum and saying "Oh ya, we have bin doing this for years now, not a new thing. We keep this close to our sleeve. The rest of you can F-off and keep ticking down the road"  You knew for years, and kept it from the rest. Shame on you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:55:46 PM by CVO2FIXUP »
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 04:59:14 PM »

What gets me here is for years now we all have bin searching for some kind of cure to the ticking problem. Even if the problem consists of several factors all of which need to be addressed one at a time to have some results. So for years we have bin playing with lifters, pre-load, etc etc etc.  Now, a member from a different forum discovered a area that is a potential cause of some of the noise. And all of a sudden folks are piping up on this forum and saying "oh ya, we have bin doing this for years now. Not a new thing. We keep this close to our sleeve. The rest of you can F-off and keep ticking down the road"  You knew for years, and kept it from the rest. Shame on you.

I can easily see two sides to this question.  If someone participates here solely as a vendor; i.e., a salesman offering his wares and services, than he is (assumed to be) participating in the vendor section and it's obvious what his intent is.  In that case all bets are off and the community of riders and owners here know what the deal is and make their informed choices accordingly.

If, conversely, a vendor represents himself as and participates as a member of the community and in so doing hears, repeatedly and at length, of a problem that many of his community members are dealing with than, as a peer/community member/fellow rider most would assume that sharing a known and relatively easily potential solution would be expected.  The guy that wouldn't do this would be the same type of guy that would, just to look good, repeatedly make uncited and potentially suspect claims in reflexive response to others, might actually wish ill will or accident on a rider who publicly disagreed with him or might even go right on by you when broke down on the side of the road because, well, you're not spending your money with him.

There's a difference between a salesman solely trying to look good and make his next buck off of you on the one hand and a fellow rider who has also has a shop on the other.  I'm just glad we, as a riding group, have collected several of the latter here and so few of the former.

covgrt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »

Why would someone put cams in it for you and give it back to you that way and what about your warrenty  I would have been on someone until it got fixed for you when they figure out you had it apart you may not have a warrenty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »

Well said HD St. Performance.  :2vrolijk_21:
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »

When I lived in Sacramento I traveled 120 miles one way to a shop/tech that never boasts about what he knows, or alludes that he knows things that nobody else knows.  In that 120 miles I would pass five dealerships and even more indy shops and a number of supposed good techs.

Now, living in Coronado, I travel nearly 500 miles one way and I pass many more dealerships and indy shops and many, many supposed good techs/shops.

A good shop with a really good tech. doesn't have to boast....the skill set and reputation speaks for itself and word of mouth is the best advertiser (certainly over self boasting wether it's real or imagined).  When you take your bike to a shop/tech and don't have to keep taking it back and the problem is resolved the first time.....speaks loudly.  I've experienced this first hand a number of times with the shop/tech that I use.

I don't expect all shops/techs to understand when I say that a little humility and humbleness also go a long way.....but some    do. 

I've been going to the same shop/tech for a number of years as has many other members of this forum and I'll be making that same journey again this week.  Oh.....that shop/tech that I and other members travel great distances to go to is Jim at Metal Dragon in Hayward, Ca.    No hoccus-poccus.....just the real deal.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »

When I lived in Sacramento I traveled 120 miles one way to a shop/tech that never boasts about what he knows, or alludes that he knows things that nobody else knows.  In that 120 miles I would pass five dealerships and even more indy shops and a number of supposed good techs.

Now, living in Coronado, I travel nearly 500 miles one way and I pass many more dealerships and indy shops and many, many supposed good techs/shops.

A good shop with a really good tech. doesn't have to boast....the skill set and reputation speaks for itself and word of mouth is the best advertiser (certainly over self boasting wether it's real or imagined).  When you take your bike to a shop/tech and don't have to keep taking it back and the problem is resolved the first time.....speaks loudly.  I've experienced this first hand a number of times with the shop/tech that I use.

I don't expect all shops/techs to understand when I say that a little humility and humbleness also go a long way.....but some    do. 

I've been going to the same shop/tech for a number of years as has many other members of this forum and I'll be making that same journey again this week.  Oh.....that shop/tech that I and other members travel great distances to go to is Jim at Metal Dragon in Hayward, Ca.    No hoccus-poccus.....just the real deal.  :2vrolijk_21:

:2vrolijk_21:

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »

Over on HTT, there are over  9 pages or apprx. 249 posts in regards to this same subject, good reads.

geezerglide

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »

As luck would have it (bad luck), after posting in this thread that *someday* I would be back into mine but had no plans to do so any time soon...
I hopped on the bike the other evening and before I got to the main road it bent a valve(!) Fortunately at low RPM and no catastrophic damage. Unexplained at this point with three months on my build, but back to the point: I had to tear it down. Though mine hasn't been noisy, I looked for the witness marks anyway while there and found none.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 09:35:32 PM »

Over on HTT, there are over  9 pages or apprx. 249 posts in regards to this same subject, good reads.

geezerglide

Quite a contrast between the HTT thread and this thread...

The HTT thread is 9 pages of discussion, pros and cons, various ideas of how to limit or stop the movement, pictures of trial attempts etc.  The HTT thread has several members in the process of attempting various methods of containing the oscillating rocker arm shafts.  Soon there will be feedback on the methods and feedback on whether or not containing the rocker arms helped the issue - or not.  The HTT thread is the type thread that used to regularly occur on this site.

This thread is yet another example of a thread that was derailed sideways by unhelpful and unnecessary comments by one member whose goals are only known to him.

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 03:01:07 AM »

My ticking never was that bad, but since my rebuild there is absolutely none.

Rebuild was nothing fancy- new jugs, pistons, .030 head gaskets, valve guides, re-degreed 255 cam with new bearings, Gaterman lifters, headwork and throttle body light porting.

2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2015, 07:26:09 AM »

"We do not post how we build our cranks,"

That's cause you send them to Darkhorse. You've stated that many times over the years.
 Over.

SOME, of our T/C cranks, ONLY........................................................we build IN HOUSE bolt-togather pre-99 cranks and have for almost 30 years now, but again, WTF does that really matter..........I tied my shoes this morning...so what, we assembled a CVO 110" that we be-built while this thread has been running.......big deal.
Another day at the shop........that's all.
What it does show is that you some kind personal problem with us.........can't help you there.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »

No problem with you Scott. Actually think deep down your a good guy. Spoke with you on the phone, have followed your posts on several boards over the past 8 or 9 years, don't know what happened but you lately have got really negative. Hate to see you dig a hole you may not get out of, that's all.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:57:26 AM by Ridgerunr »
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.