Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dyno Tuning Without a Tuner?  (Read 9457 times)

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
Dyno Tuning Without a Tuner?
« on: August 07, 2015, 04:24:14 PM »

You saw that subject right. There's a new indy shop here in NJ that is advertising free Dyno tune with the purchase of a full exhaust and installation. They are saying you don't need to buy any "expensive devices" just a licensing fee. I'm sure someone knows what they are talking about. Educate me on what they are using and is it a real tune or just a download like they do at the stealers? I think most of these guys were dealer mechanics who quit to start their own place after a dispute with the owner.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Dyno Tuning Without a Tuner?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »

Do a search for Direct Link.  I think that's what you're talking about.

Jerry

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:58:31 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 05:11:48 PM »

Do a search for Direct Link.  I think that's what you're talking about.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. I haven't talked to anyone at this new place yet, but that is probably what they use. Some quick research turned up a few disadvantages. One is that you are limited as to where you can get things adjusted later on. But it does seem to do the job.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »

Btw, if you never plan to have the desire to use your tuning software to look around, or tweak a setting in the ECM, or do a V-tune type of thing, perhaps the Direct Link thing would be OK.  However, you don't get the actual VCI like you do with a TTS or PV or SEPST, all you get is a USB key that is locked to your ECM.  The other box that's required is owned by the folks who do the tuning.  So you will want to know who else will be able to work with your tune besides the folks who sold it to you.  As long as you have that USB key, in theory any Direct Link equipped tuner can use that key plus his box to change your tune or do a new one.  You will be required to buy the USB key, plus pay for the tune.  I have no idea what they charge for the key, but it's likely to be slightly less than buying the TTS/PV/etc. systems.  Otherwise, I can't see how they could claim an advantage with their system.

I'm betting we have some folks on this site who do tuning and who are set up with the Direct Link system.  Hopefully they will give you an honest appraisal of the pro's and con's.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »

A business, or a private person for that matter, can do this now with a Power Vision tuner.
Buy a PV tuner yourself, and then for $199 you can buy "licenses" for as many bikes a you want to tune, online, in just a few minutes.
 So yes, if you have a dyno and a shingle to hang over the door of your building, you can be a "tuner" with just one PV unit and a computer. Charge $199 for a license and dyno time by the hour.
2015 CVO Road Glide

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »

Here you go.....

http://technoresearch.com/sitetest/Products-DirectLink.html

FWIW: Rosa's Cycles in New York moved to this solution from the TTS.

Regards

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:06:19 AM by CVOStreetglide »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »

Eddfive owns the DynoDifference down in Texas and he uses this software and the others out there to tune the HD ecms.   Hopefully he will chime in on this thread as he tunes with many of the different ECM tuning software available.

http://www.thedynodifference.com/
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Masterblaster

• Hoka Hey #106
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 09:01:29 AM »

Ed is the best tuner I ever used, for my last 4 Harley's, until I moved to Texas this year I would ride to his shop from Miami just for a tune.  He is giving me advice to go to direct link this time and thats what I will do with my, new as of yesterday, CVO Ultra. He is a good guy to talk to before doing mods to see what combos he has seen work the best.

Eddfive owns the DynoDifference down in Texas and he uses this software and the others out there to tune the HD ecms.   Hopefully he will chime in on this thread as he tunes with many of the different ECM tuning software available.

http://www.thedynodifference.com/
2015 CVO Limited

Hoka Hey Finisher 2010

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »

Ed is the best tuner I ever used, for my last 4 Harley's, until I moved to Texas this year I would ride to his shop from Miami just for a tune.  He is giving me advice to go to direct link this time and thats what I will do with my, new as of yesterday, CVO Ultra. He is a good guy to talk to before doing mods to see what combos he has seen work the best.
That's a long ride for a tune when Doc's Performance is in Clermont Fl.(lol) But everyone has their own favorite tuner.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 02:51:48 PM »

That's a long ride for a tune when Doc's Performance is in Clermont Fl.(lol) But everyone has their own favorite tuner.

+10   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »

My bike was tuned using the Direct Link. The USB key which is linked to my ECM cost me $350 bucks. Understand with this tuning software the owner cannot access or make any changes to the tune without the VCI which is very expensive. If you need the tune tweaked or should have a tuning issue back to the tuner you go.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:47:50 PM by East Coast »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »

My bike was tuned using the Direct Link. The USB key which is linked to my ECM cost me $350 bucks. Understand with this tuning software the owner cannot access or make any changes to the tune without the VCI which is very expensive. If you need the tune tweaked or should have a tuning issue back to the tuner you go.

Rosa's?

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »

Yes

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 10:03:04 PM »

To me that is a huge negative to this system versus something like a TTS or PV.  You're paying almost as much for a USB key as you would pay for one of the other systems that give you complete control.  I sure hope the people who use this are fully satisfied with the tune and the guy doing the tune, because unless you have other good tuners within reasonable distance that use DL, the guy doing this tune can hold you hostage.  No Thanks!

Jerry

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 10:52:52 PM »

To me that is a huge negative to this system versus something like a TTS or PV.  You're paying almost as much for a USB key as you would pay for one of the other systems that give you complete control.  I sure hope the people who use this are fully satisfied with the tune and the guy doing the tune, because unless you have other good tuners within reasonable distance that use DL, the guy doing this tune can hold you hostage.  No Thanks!Jerry

Agreed, might as well be tied to the stealer by a cord........
2015 CVO Road Glide
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.