Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dyno Tuning Without a Tuner?  (Read 9456 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Dyno Tuning Without a Tuner?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 11:39:01 PM »

My bike was tuned using the Direct Link. The USB key which is linked to my ECM cost me $350 bucks. Understand with this tuning software the owner cannot access or make any changes to the tune without the VCI which is very expensive. If you need the tune tweaked or should have a tuning issue back to the tuner you go.
If that $350 included the dyno tune also then that is a bargain imo.  So was the $350 just for the key so he could tune it and did he charge additional for the time spent on the dyno actually tuning it?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 12:07:46 AM »

To me that is a huge negative to this system versus something like a TTS or PV.  You're paying almost as much for a USB key as you would pay for one of the other systems that give you complete control.  I sure hope the people who use this are fully satisfied with the tune and the guy doing the tune, because unless you have other good tuners within reasonable distance that use DL, the guy doing this tune can hold you hostage.  No Thanks!

Jerry

I agree. That said, the tuner I used has a very good reputation for motor work and tuning. I wanted him to tune my bike and he recommended the Direct Link. I was not fully aware of the limitations of the Direct Link system and regret having agreed to use it as I had to bring the bike back two times for issues with the cold and warm start up. As you mentioned Jerry I then felt I was locked in, no good.

If one was a long way from home at a dealer for a repair which required the ECM re flashed to stock and there isn't a shop/dealer who uses the DL software you now have a problem. Especially if you have stage 2 or better motor work. I dont know if the ECM would ever have to be re flashed to stock for a repair if it wasnt a ECM issue but if so, you just found yourself in a bind.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:35:51 AM by East Coast »

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 12:09:37 AM »

If that $350 included the dyno tune also then that is a bargain imo.  So was the $350 just for the key so he could tune it and did he charge additional for the time spent on the dyno actually tuning it?

It was $350 for the Key and an additional charge for the dyno tuning.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »

OK I got a little info from the guys I'm talking about in the original post. They charge $350 for dyno tune, PLUS $199 for what they are calling a "simple licensing fee". I asked, "what do you use, Direct Link?" They replied with "Dyno Jet." So either they thought I was asking what brand of dyno they used, or Dyno Jet has some sort of software that allows them to hack into the ECM...I guess.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »

They are probably using power vision where they use their unit and buy a license so they can use it on your ecm.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »

Try this link to DynoJet:

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/powervision-dealer-tools.aspx

Still makes more sense to me to just buy your own PV versus paying someone a couple hundred bucks to have them use their PV to tune your bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »

It was $350 for the Key and an additional charge for the dyno tuning.
$350 for a key is a ripoff IMO. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. For that amount you could have owned the entire tuning system (TTS, SESPT, And PV)i f you buy the complete system rather than just a part.
That means you can go to any tuner and they can tune your bike with what you have.
This is the exact reason I choose not to use that product...I don't believe in tying a customer to me so he/she can't go anywhere else.
Bob
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:30:59 PM by FLTRI »

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »

Yep, To Monday morning quarterback myself I should have never went down this road, to late now. I will more than likely change it to a PV or TTS next year. I still have issues with the cold and warm start ups which is very frustrating! I've had the bike back three times after the initial tune for a tweak, time to move on.

As suggested I would not by a license for any product as it puts you in the same position I am right now, hands tied to the tuner. By the entire system which you can access if you have to.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:31:22 PM by East Coast »

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »

Yep, To Monday morning quarterback myself I should have never went down this road, to late now. I will more than likely change it to a PV or TTS next year. I still have issues with the cold and warm start ups which is very frustrating! I've had the bike back three times after the initial tune for a tweak, time to move on.

As suggested I would not by a license for any product as it puts you in the same position I am right now, hands tied to the tuner. By the entire system which you can access if you have to.

Take it to Rosas Cycle in Huntington, NY.  He will make it run to your satisfaction.

rosascycle.com

Regards

Jerry

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 05:12:01 PM »

Try this link to DynoJet:

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/powervision-dealer-tools.aspx

Still makes more sense to me to just buy your own PV versus paying someone a couple hundred bucks to have them use their PV to tune your bike.

Jerry
Yeah, I wouldn't do it either. I've never even had someone suggest it to me. I just saw this stuff on their FB page.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

harleytuner

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • VA

• Wide Open Cycles
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 11:53:06 AM »

I'll add a little to this conversation.  More than likely they are using the DynoJet Power Vision for the tuner.  as mentioned you can purchase additional user Licenses for $199.  I offer this service at my shop as well.  I supply the Tune License to the customer when I am done (either by e-mail or on a customer supplied thumbdrive).  The license can be used on any Power Vision.  So if need be, you can take the license to another shop and they can unlock your bike with their Power Vision.  So in essence, anybody with a Power Vision can unlock your bike with the tune license.  Hope this clears up some confusion.
110" - T-man HiComp pistons - RoederRacing Heads - GMR 577 cams - HPI 55 - FatCat - AIM clutch - Vision

Masterblaster

• Hoka Hey #106
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »

Not really that long when you consider time and $ wasted on sub par tunes. Riding in high temps brings out any and all quirks with tunes. I found this guy through one of the original people on this forum and will never go to another tuner. But you are right ,everyone has their favorite, as long as they are happy its all good.

I will post up the before and after this weekends tune, keeping this pretty much stock for now, just a K&N filter and S&S header with my D&D Boss slipons. New to the 110 so I will wait and learn before I go deeper.

That's a long ride for a tune when Doc's Performance is in Clermont Fl.(lol) But everyone has their own favorite tuner.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:55:29 PM by Masterblaster »
2015 CVO Limited

Hoka Hey Finisher 2010
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 21 queries.