Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Scary wobble  (Read 6542 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Scary wobble
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »

07 Ultra Classic, The other day I doing about 65 mph on the motor way I pulled in to the outer lane and got up to about 80 then out of no were came a front end wobble. I backed off and it cleared just under 70. I've hit 90 with no problem before this is something new. The only thing that has been done is the rear wheel has been off. Can the rear wheel cause a front end wobble?   I know that there are cams for setting the belt tension as they rotate together these also should keep the wheel inline if I'm not mistaken.

Any input on what maybe the cause, what I should look for, would be appreciated, I'm some what nervous on going back up there that it comes on harder :nixweiss:     

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Re: Scary wobble
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 08:14:11 AM »

Can rear cause front end wobble....YES...

pull wheel and reinstall. Something is wrong. Hint was only thing changed was rear was off.

Loose spokes anywhere will shake whole bike
bad tire same thing
loose installed  same thing

Tail wags the dog and front has to hold it together
Will

RGKen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE Skunk
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »

Any grinding sound when turning the wheel?   Bad wheel bearings can do this. 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »

Can rear cause front end wobble....YES...

pull wheel and reinstall. Something is wrong. Hint was only thing changed was rear was off.

Loose spokes anywhere will shake whole bike
bad tire same thing
loose installed  same thing

Tail wags the dog and front has to hold it together

Wheel was removed in a tire shop I'll go back and have them check it over. Have solid spoke, new tire, loose install?
Thanks for info,
Any grinding sound when turning the wheel?   Bad wheel bearings can do this. 

Bearings good far as I know , haven't heard any strange noise or bearing rumble. Will have them checked all the same.  Thanks

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »

Sounds like worn rear swingarm bushings to me.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »

The rear wheel is the most common problem that causes what you are describing. Some as simple as low tire pressure can do just what you are talking about. Your bike has an automatic alignment feature, if you didn't mess with that there are a couple of other things you should check.
1. Air pressure
2. Tread wear (hopefully you are using matched tires)
3. If you have a lift, put the rear wheel off the ground and spin the wheel, if it is oscillating at all you may have a bent rim, assuming your alignment cams are in the right place.
4. Finally check your belt tension. (While this should not be the issue, a loose belt is a sure sign you have had shift of the wheel)
If all is fine at the rear wheel, and your bike has some kind of wind screen on it, you should give it a good check. Usually if there is a problem with this part it is because it is cracked or fatigued. The flexing at higher speed causes a high speed wind wobble. If this is your problem stop riding the bike, because it my opinion this is one of the hardest things to get out of. Many times on a wind wobble it can get more erratic as you try to slow down, and can reach such a violent nature as to jackknife the bike. I had this happen on an old, original 1969 FLH. They had a bead around the upper edge of the windshield that would fatigue after many years and when it happened to me I was doing 70mph as I slowed down it literally was getting so bad the bike was try to hop. Luckily I was able to keep everything right side up, but it could have gone south pretty fast.
Hope this helps you find it.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 08:15:25 AM »

loose install on tire, wouldn't hold air but tire could be misformed and off balance.
or rim could be cocked or bent
or axle could be loose
or...
Will

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »

loose install on tire, wouldn't hold air but tire could be misformed and off balance.
or rim could be cocked or bent
or axle could be loose
or...
I've had two Dunlop tires that were defective from the get go.  Did not cause anything like this wobble but I could definitely feel that something was wrong.  I would suspect a bad tire since the problem happened just after the install.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 07:12:52 PM »

You might want to check your tire pressure and look for evidence of cupping.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 05:29:56 PM »

UP DATE!!

Well I got part of the wobble solved  Front tire down by 2psi, 34psi should be 36psi, rear was at 35psi should also be 36psi so with correct pressure out for a test run I go. I took it up to 80 mpr with no front end wobble but the bike didn't feel smooth so I kept on pushing a it up slowly I hit 85mpr and here we go again. Now it was not a front end wobble, this time I've got the hole bike in (not like a wobble) but more like a wiggle as if the bike wanted to go in another direction other then straight (it was like being hit by gust of wind from both sides in rapid concession) I didn't take it up any more I backed off. 
It has been suggested to me to put these wheel balance beads in the tire :nixweiss:thinking the wheel maybe out of balance,
Has any one used them?  or think it maybe a cure? Should I or not try these beads? is there a down side to them?

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »

I use dyna beads! 25K on 3 rears & 2 fronts.

The only way to go! I'll never use wheel weights again!

Good Luck!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »

First of, A Thanks for all the input :2vrolijk_21:

I found this shop that supplies Dyna beeds   

I met Colin the owner a hell of a nice fella. Colin went the extra mile to help me out. He installed the Beeds it cost less then a score. I left the shop and went onto the motorway I pulled it up to 90mi all problems gone. It was like riding on a newly paved road.

This is his shop he has other products for protecting your bike from the elements rust, corrosion etc.
I saw a bike he did before and after (I didn't get a pic ) but it didn't look like the same bike. If I hadn't seen it my self I wouldn't have believed it was the same bike. It looked like it had just come off the showroom floor.

Colin will give a discount to HD riders. He will also do free install of Dyna Beeds to HD riders. So if you want to get rid of those lumpy looking weights off your wheels take a ride over to Colins shop.
Call him on 02085027034

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:38:06 PM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »

The weights Colin took off,  on the left are from the rear wheel the other the front

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »

Will never go back to weights
                                                                Beeds are also transferable too new tires 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:40:48 PM by longlast »

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »

WAY to much weight to balance the tires. Bad tires or wheels. Tires have a chalk arrow when new which needs to be opposite of the valve stem. I or two weights s all it ever takes. Dyna beads will not solve that weight issue.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 09:14:07 PM »

WAY to much weight to balance the tires. Bad tires or wheels. Tires have a chalk arrow when new which needs to be opposite of the valve stem. I or two weights s all it ever takes. Dyna beads will not solve that weight issue.

Well all I can say is I can do 70 to 90mph in complete control zero wobble 90 was the test speed it's rare I go over 80mph so if I'm running smooth in the 65 to 90 mph range I'm a happy roller  :bananarock:

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »

What chalk arrow?  I have never seen a one, maybe I'm missing something.  I do know the tire companies put a painted dot that indicates the lightest section of the tire therefore it should be near the valve stem.  I agree on the weights being to much, however I have seen 5 to 6 on a regular basis and have seen up to 8 on a front wheel.  It's not right but it gets done on a regular basis. 

I balance my own wheels and rotate the tire so it will be at a point requiring the least amount of weight.  I also have had excellent results with Dyna beads. 

It doesn't take much for these bikes to go into the dreaded wobble. 

Glad you solved yours

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »

What chalk arrow?  I have never seen a one, maybe I'm missing something.  I do know the tire companies put a painted dot that indicates the lightest section of the tire therefore it should be near the valve stem.  I agree on the weights being to much, however I have seen 5 to 6 on a regular basis and have seen up to 8 on a front wheel.  It's not right but it gets done on a regular basis. 

I balance my own wheels and rotate the tire so it will be at a point requiring the least amount of weight.  I also have had excellent results with Dyna beads. 

It doesn't take much for these bikes to go into the dreaded wobble. 

Glad you solved yours

Thanks RayG  and yes that was a lot of weight couldn't believe it my self.

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »

A new 15 CVO, no weights on the front wheel, two on the rear wheel, they are actually a chrome finish.

Bike is smooth.

Those were a lot of weights to balance the wheel/tire.

Glad you smoothed out, shouldn't take too much wt to balance unless there are/is another issue.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »

I've had two Dunlop tires that were defective from the get go.  Did not cause anything like this wobble but I could definitely feel that something was wrong.  I would suspect a bad tire since the problem happened just after the install.

I agree, a brand new tire can be "bad", I'm on my 4th set of front/rear tires and I've had the first and third rear tire and the 4th front tire that were "defunct" (service managers term) brand new .
The first hint was 3 ounces of weights, the second was an uneasy "wandering" feeling.
Manually spinning the rim/tire on a balancer showed that tires "balanced", but weren't "round" and would wobble side to side.

I've never had any issues with any other tires, just these "CVO" Dunlop tires.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:46:12 PM by xsdbs »

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »

had a similar occurrence on Sunday...accelerated to change lanes to around 75 - 80 and go into a curve and suddenly a very bad nearly uncontrollable wobble, nearly sideswiped the car I was passing before I regained control.  it lasted several seconds but it seemed like an eternity...all i can say is i was lucky that day.  do not know what was wrong, but i am looking for it
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »

The weights Colin took off,  on the left are from the rear wheel the other the front

From the looks of the weights and your report Dyna Beads fixed it an idiot balanced your tire first go around.  I would ask for a refund on the balance part.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »

This may or may not be of use, But i had a problem with my 03 Lowrider it did the same as your bike, i spent $ on new tyres, had it at the Dealer no good still there.
One day after a wash i took it around the block and noticed that the horn was shaking around more than usual.

Once at home after checking i found that one of the bolts that holds the bracket between the heads had fallen out, this allowed the engine to move across the frame and as the swing arm is bolted to the trans the whole drive train moves around.
Fitted two new bolts now it perfect.  :2vrolijk_21:
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.