Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: CVO 110'' ENGINE  (Read 11326 times)

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
CVO 110'' ENGINE
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:51:32 PM »

So question is what do you guys think about 110'' engine? Do you like it , does it have enough power... etc. Nothing is wrong with my bike it runs nice and smooth... but?
I have cvo rk '14 and in beginning I was happy, than I did upgrade domes pistons, GMR 577cam, TH exhaust heavy breather..it made nice 116hp and 132 tq. But lately I am feeling itch for more I am missing that moment when you twist throttle and your back tire smokes and goes left or right.... (don't tell me buy sport bike, I have seen bunch of baggars do what I described), does anyone wants more power or is just me. Tnx

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Re: CVO 110'' ENGINE
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »

I'm cool with what I have once I got it breathing right and tuned. It's a touring bike for me, not something I'm looking to race or trash at a tire smoking contest. But if you want more power, go for it! I just paid too much for this thing, if I wanted a kickass bagger I'd buy an older Road King with a bad motor and just build it.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »

I'm very happy with the air cooled 110 motor. :2vrolijk_21:  It runs much cooler than my 103 did (same turner).  Mine has plenty of power for a 900lb bike, running one up or two up.  I might swap the cam out to the SE585, when I change out the 'C' lifters, but I'm really happy how it runs now with the stock 255's.

Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »

I'm satisfied with the dual cooled motor on my bike. It has plenty of power for me and is smooth running and runs much cooler than my previous CVO.  My 2012 SESG ran way hotter than this one. All I did was put Vance & Hines Monster Ovals on and the FP3 tuner. Good enough for me !
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:16:55 PM »

I'm cool with what I have once I got it breathing right and tuned. It's a touring bike for me, not something I'm looking to race or trash at a tire smoking contest. But if you want more power, go for it! I just paid too much for this thing, if I wanted a kickass bagger I'd buy an older Road King with a bad motor and just build it.
I got you, it cost a lot and I am also happy with power that makes ... but some bug on my back is saying you need more haha, and I don't do racing or wheelies , to much to loose. But once in while would like to have that option.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:27:48 PM »

I totally get it! I did the same thing as you and I wanted more as well. I went and test drove a BMW after having the bike for about 6 months and I loved the power and suspension of the bike but hated the rest of it for what I want a bike for. When I told my brother in law he told me I couldn't have 1 bike that did everything (he has many bikes) and I told him I was going to try.. I put Ohlin suspension on the rear and a 120r motor in. Though I did end up blowing up the 120r (replaced it with a S&S 124) I do think my bike does "it all" and love every minute riding it and never regret spending the money. I get your "sport  bike" comment and I regularly will "run with them" when I am out riding and always get a kick out of their reaction when we end up stopping together.
My vote, go for it!
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:46:34 AM »

The problem is that the "always want more" syndrome leads to wasting tons of money and further reduces reliability.  If you have tons of money and don't mind constantly spending it, do what makes you happy.  But you're never going to take a half ton motorcycle and turn it into a tire shredding dragster without giving up most of what you bought the bike for originally.  Bigger and bigger engines, turbo or supercharging, NOS injection, there are many options for someone who always wants more.  Since you indicate you just want added oomph occasionally, why not look at NOS?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:18:44 AM »

A larger T/B will allow the engine to produce more HP , porting the heads would gain you some as well along with better guides is always a upgrade there as well.  Maybe swap to the 600 cam and 58E at the same time ??  I know many say go 124 .. but the facts are when you start over laying the graphs you see where the 113 builds out there vs say the 124 HC engines you get a much better picture. 

I have a 124 in my own bike that runs extremely well however it does not make as much tq down low as the 113 builds do. So from roll on comparing the two builds the 113 make more down low on avg than the 124 does. However there is a point where the 124 pulls flat out and away..  Now compare the two bikes from a dig then yes the 124 being spun up to 6200 on the shifts will be the winner..

Then in gets into the custom building or modding of the crate 124 and now that only increase's the cost and most still never make more power down low..  Not talking about some one spewing random numbers lets see the dyno sheet, post it.. as the shape of the curve is everything..

I can over lay many 113 builds along with 124 lc and hc builds , then I can add in 124 hc modded builds and all in all for every day riding roll on power the smaller engine with smaller cam wins if you look at the 2200-3500 range for roll on power, spool it up over 4500 and the larger cam bigger CI makes more HP.. 

The 124 LC engines as a pure crate bolt in 125/135    the 124 HC engine 136-140 hp tq 133-138   modded 124  ??? but increase comp ratio, 2.02 intake some porting should go 140-145 tq 135-140 .

in the end where do you want the power, do not forget about fuel, heat .. in the end you can lean on it and build a very impressive dyno sheet but in the real world that engine is going to be less friendly than the lower compression build.

How much do you want to spend is the real question..  :)

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »

The problem is that the "always want more" syndrome leads to wasting tons of money and further reduces reliability.  If you have tons of money and don't mind constantly spending it, do what makes you happy.  But you're never going to take a half ton motorcycle and turn it into a tire shredding dragster without giving up most of what you bought the bike for originally.

That's it in a nutshell for me, I want to be reasonably sure that I can pull my bike out of the garage at any time and ride it across the Mojave Desert and over the Rockies without any issues to wreck my trip. Do I want more power that the average bear? Sure I do, that's why I bought a CVO... but I guess for me I'm just planning on drawing the line at exhaust and tuning. Can you build a massive HP machine and have it reliable? I don't know the answer to that question, but my experience is (and I don't think I'm alone) is that if you make the motor stronger and run it hard then the trans breaks... beef up the trans and the next thing down the line breaks... and on it goes. I just don't want to play that game with THIS bike. I'm not opposed to playing the game, just for me personally I'd find another canvas to paint on.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »

one liner= find that happy medium  :2vrolijk_21:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »

So question is what do you guys think about 110'' engine? Do you like it , does it have enough power... etc. Nothing is wrong with my bike it runs nice and smooth... but?
I have cvo rk '14 and in beginning I was happy, than I did upgrade domes pistons, GMR 577cam, TH exhaust heavy breather..it made nice 116hp and 132 tq. But lately I am feeling itch for more I am missing that moment when you twist throttle and your back tire smokes and goes left or right.... (don't tell me buy sport bike, I have seen bunch of baggars do what I described), does anyone wants more power or is just me. Tnx

Hand-built specific-purpose 124" usually ends the want/need for more.
124"
Headwork
Wood 9F
66mm S&S T/Hog
Borezilla.........point it straight and let it go.
Seen 150 ft/lbs many times.
Rob Dyno Service, Gardner, Mass., just saw another one. :)
Scott

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »

Have you done a throttle body ?

113 is more of an upgrade than most think....SHOULD do a crank while its apart
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »

A larger T/B will allow the engine to produce more HP , porting the heads would gain you some as well along with better guides is always a upgrade there as well.  Maybe swap to the 600 cam and 58E at the same time ??  I know many say go 124 .. but the facts are when you start over laying the graphs you see where the 113 builds out there vs say the 124 HC engines you get a much better picture. 

I have a 124 in my own bike that runs extremely well however it does not make as much tq down low as the 113 builds do. So from roll on comparing the two builds the 113 make more down low on avg than the 124 does. However there is a point where the 124 pulls flat out and away..  Now compare the two bikes from a dig then yes the 124 being spun up to 6200 on the shifts will be the winner..

Then in gets into the custom building or modding of the crate 124 and now that only increase's the cost and most still never make more power down low..  Not talking about some one spewing random numbers lets see the dyno sheet, post it.. as the shape of the curve is everything..

I can over lay many 113 builds along with 124 lc and hc builds , then I can add in 124 hc modded builds and all in all for every day riding roll on power the smaller engine with smaller cam wins if you look at the 2200-3500 range for roll on power, spool it up over 4500 and the larger cam bigger CI makes more HP.. 

The 124 LC engines as a pure crate bolt in 125/135    the 124 HC engine 136-140 hp tq 133-138   modded 124  ??? but increase comp ratio, 2.02 intake some porting should go 140-145 tq 135-140 .

in the end where do you want the power, do not forget about fuel, heat .. in the end you can lean on it and build a very impressive dyno sheet but in the real world that engine is going to be less friendly than the lower compression build.

How much do you want to spend is the real question..  :)
Steve you explained it real well, and just looking on numbers you posted , my 110''cvo makes 116hp/132tq and looking on this numbers from 124'' crate ,there is no big difference. It is very confusing and hard to decide what to do, If I do a upgrade to 113'' it will cost me still 3,5k-4.K ( I assume) and will this upgrade be the thing that makes me happy. Or would it be better go with 124'' and than like you said if you lay carts over is it worth spending extra couple grand..... hella confused now. can you put couple carts for me so I can see difference . tnx Steve   

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »

Simple look at the 4000 mark .. where do you ride its that simple.. Now yes you can mod the 124 sure I can over lay that but first off some are talking about a pre 6 speed trans sorry but you cannot compare those .. Second if there is no sheet to show the curve, why bother as its all about the shape of the curve.

Now if Scott will post the bike making 150Tq I can copy it and over lay on these graphs ( within reason)  or at least give a dot profile.

124 CRATE HC 66 FBW WITH 2-1 PIPE

124 CRATE HC 66 FBW 2-1-2 CRUSHER EX

113 GMR 600 CAM 58E FBW PORTED HEADS FULSAC EX

113 GMR 600 CAM STOCK HEADS 58E FBW VH PWR DUAL CRUSHER MUFFLERS

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:22:18 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »

Good comparison

nuthin wrong with a 113....would be nice if there were more slightly used 120R cylinders

Seems I see quite a few 124's configured that might make 150 TQ......but combined with less horsepower than they came with

HUGE bummer
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 3.894 seconds with 23 queries.