Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Friend taken too soon.  (Read 6358 times)

2014WtGld

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Friend taken too soon.
« on: November 08, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »

This past Thursday I received the call no one wants to get. My friend and often riding partner had a collision with a car and didn't make it. Just to paint a picture of how it happend my friend was traveling south on a divided 4 lane. Was in the outside lane about to overtake a pickup truck. Was approaching an intersection where a car was at a stop sign about to cross the highway. As they came into the intersection the truck cleared the intersection and the car proceeded to cross. Pulling out right in front of my friend. It was obviously unavoidable because my friend with decades of riding experience never had time to react. I'm having a hard time with it simply because it was dark. I could see the situation being different in the daylight but not a night with the headlight being visible. My friend was 44 and left a wife,12 year old daughter and a 17 year old son behind. It breaks my heart. He truely was a good man and a Great father. Just a prayer for this family is asked please and Guys please be careful when riding on behalf of my friend. I am truely having a hard time with this as we rode often together and I catch myself letting my guard down a little after dark thinking I'm more visible to others than in the day time. Before someone ask He was wearing a helmet and always did even in a state that doesn't require it. This has truely made me question whether or not I want to continue to ride. If nothing else it will probably take a back seat for a while.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Re: Friend taken too soon.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 12:57:01 PM »

It breaks my heart every time I hear about these accidents. Sometimes you can do everything right and still pay the ultimate price. My condolences you and your friend's family and loved ones.

Respect

Cam

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »

I'm sorry to read this about the loss of your good friend. Prayer going out for you and his family. As far as whether you want to continue to ride or not, that is something you have to decide for yourself. I ask this one question. If you had read about this terrible accident, or saw it on the side of the road, not knowing the rider, would you still want to quit riding?
I too have lost some of my best friends over the years and one was a rider and member of this site. I chose to ride in his memory. ( He died of cancer, after a long fight. )
I also used to drive a wrecker for 4 years and had to respond to too many motorcycle verses automobile/truck accidents, some fatal. Even with the first hand exposure to these gory accidents I still choose to ride. Take your time and grieve your  friends passing, then make your decision.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »

My condolences to you and his family. You are all in my prayers.

We had a local rider go down yesterday during an IBA Saddlesore 1000. He has cracked ribs, injured knee and damaged wrist. Unfortunately this happened in an isolated part of Arizona and he was in an urgent care center but the nearest emergency room was in Phoenix. He doesn't have healthcare insurance and refused a helicopter flight because it would have cost $41k. Our support team rode out to pick him up and get him to better healthcare. Hoping he doesn't have more severe injuries upon closer examination.

Simon

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »

My condolences to your friends family and his friends...  God Bless...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »

Sorry to read about your friend. Prayers for you and his family.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »

My condolences.  Drivers are just not lookig for Motorcycles, IMO.  Their minds are trained, for lack of a better word, to look for other vehicles, i.e., cars and trucks.  I, myself, even with all the years of experience I have riding Motorcycles, have pulled out in front of a Motorcycle.  Fortunately, my mistake was not fatal.  It only resulted in a tonque-lashing, which I took like a man, and humbly apologized.  In my mind, I blamed it on the doorpost of my vehicle creating a blind spot, (DuraMax), but the ultimate responsibilty was, and is, mine.  I just wasn't looking.  Prayers for his family.  Later--HUBBARD     
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

CumberlandJB

• TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • Trucking Technology
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »

Hate to hear it - in our prayers

Tibs

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: '15 Limited
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »

Sorry for the loss, never easy.

From the description it sounds like the bike may have been in a blind spot from the driver pulling out (assuming they were on right not left).   If on left side pulling out I'm at a loss how that could happen other than night blindness or pure idiocy on the drivers part.

I assume they are all trying to kill me these days.   

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 06:08:14 AM »

Prayers for your friend and his family so sad to here this.

Dante
DND

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »

I am so very sorry to hear this, I would like to know his name. I can understand you staying off your bike for awhile.

God bless

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »

It breaks my heart for the family and friends.  Sudden loss like that is always so horribly shocking, and I know it terrifies the rest of us. 
My prayers go out for all, but especially for the wife and son and daughter.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »

Sorry for your loss. Lets use this as a reminder. Never assume anything and always ride where you can be seen.

God's speed
BigLew

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »

These kinds of situations are getting way to common for some pretty darn good folks to be taken from their loved ones, and it doesn't get any easier to say something comforting.  I avoid riding at night as much as possible cage or bike, vision isn't what it used to be and I don't want to be the cause.   Words that sound sincere are easy to say but be it know that we have the very best Forum for caring individuals that send prayers and are not afraid to say so.  The media may group us up as leather wearing meatheads that don't care but nothing could be farther that the truth.   

Sorry for the loss, prayers sent. 

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »

My condolences and prayers to your friend's family and you. I know these events makes us reconsider riding. I have had similar experiences and I think I should back off. As I get older this becomes another issue to consider (sight, reaction time, etc.) but I just love to ride so much I still ride. You have to do what makes you feel good and brings value to your life.  As someone above mentioned don't make a decision yet, take the time grieve and then see what your heart says.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.