Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 113

Author Topic: Harley 117 Kit  (Read 469570 times)

CVORoadKing2013

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Harley 117 Kit
« Reply #1515 on: September 24, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »

I knew I would loose some on the upper end with not going to a 55 or 58mm throttle body.  I wasn't to worried about 5-10Hp in an area I was never going to ride in. Chad did think the exhaust hurt a little on the upper end but it did not do to bad for torque on the low end.

Head work was very minor.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:38:08 AM by CVORoadKing2013 »

MCE

« Reply #1516 on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »

I knew I would loose some on the upper end with not going to a 55 or 58mm throttle body.  I wasn't to worried about 5-10Hp in an area I was never going to ride in. Chad did think the exhaust hurt a little on the upper end but it did not do to bad for torque on the low end.

The head work was supposed to help them flow better. The intake valves were increased to 2.125 and the valve seats re-cut to improve flow.

The bottom line is, if you're happy, that's all that counts. If you don't wind it out past 4 or 5 grand on a regular basis, I'd leave
it alone. A bigger TB and some more cam would get the HP up, but if you don't need it, I wouldn't worry about it. Chad knows wtf
he's doing so you're in good hands.

CVORoadKing2013

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #1517 on: October 15, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »

What exhaust and slip on's are recommended for the 117 with SE 585 cam?  I currently have the Scream'n Eagle High Flow exhaust with Nightsticks and the  thought is there might be to much restriction from the cats in the mufflers for this build.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #1518 on: October 15, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »

I’ve seen great results from both Fullsac header along with stock mufflers w/the Fullsac 2” baffles and D&D Fatcat.

MCE

« Reply #1519 on: October 16, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »

I’ve seen great results from both Fullsac header along with stock mufflers w/the Fullsac 2” baffles and D&D Fatcat.

A FatCat is a little on the small side for big motors.

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #1520 on: October 17, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »

what about a D/D  Boarzilla  on that 117?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #1521 on: October 17, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »

what about a D/D  Boarzilla  on that 117?

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

CVORoadKing2013

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #1522 on: October 17, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »

I am not a big fan of the 2 into 1 exhaust

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #1523 on: October 17, 2018, 09:22:55 PM »

You can get a dummy pipe for the left side to balance it out.

Ohio HD

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #1524 on: October 17, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »

I lot depends on what you want from the bike, and how you ride it. The Fatcat will work on a medium warmed over 117 just fine. You'll have great low and mid power, and better than a stock top end of course. Going to the Boarzille you need some compression and somewhat aggressive cams to run the power to the right. If you really just ride and like to screw the throttle on now and again, the Fatcat will be a good choice. D&D recommends the Fatcat to 113", 4" more isn't going to cause the system to not work as it should. 
2009 Ultra Classic ~ Bone Stock 96 inches
2008 Street Glide ~ Bone Stock 117 inches

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
« Reply #1525 on: June 20, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »

I know since the M8 engines have come about there isn't as much interest in the older Twin Cams but I hope some will respond.

I just acquired a 2015 CVO RGU with 4,600 miles on it. When I was swingin the deal for the bike I had them add the 117" kit in along with a SEPST & Auto tune module. I also got a 60 month ESP to go with all of it, which is part of why I am going with the SE tuner.
Also adding V&H Power Duals head pipes and Khrome Werks mufflers to the mix when it is all being done. Figured why increase the engine size and not allow it to breath some also.

My bike is for touring and carving the corners while just having fun. I am not trying to win any light to light races nor am I concerned with being able to WOW anyone with my impressive dyno numbers.
With that all said and done the 117" kit is BO until mid July so if I am going to add a different cam or lifters now is the time for me to order the parts. As always I know some of this is subjective and some is just a dislike for HD bowing to EPA but what can they do? 

So from what I am reading and know from past experience the SE-259 isn't the go to cam for torque right out of the door. It seems like a TC-24D/TC-25D or Woods or S&S might be a better choice but I'd rather stick with what's in the kit unless there is a VALID reason to change stuff.

Plan for now is to run the stock CVO heads until either next spring or spring 2021. Then I'll pull my heads during the winter and send them out to be ported.
And while we are talking about HEAD.....   :orange: :huepfenjump3: oops heads, since I don't have anyone local who does everyone recommend I send them out to? Fuel Moto? Or buy some S&S heads? Or others?

I'm heading to Shark Week IX in Aug and was hoping to have this engine work done prior to me going but it isn't looking like this will happen at this point. So depending on when they finally get the kit in I may just have them hold it until riding season is just about over with and then take the bike over. I'm not 100% confident with the dealership where I bought the bike. At one time they were a pretty good shop but I am not pleased with the lack of attention they paid to this bike before it was sold as a used bike.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:15:15 PM by WildmanUltra »

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #1526 on: June 20, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »

The HD tuner is not going to work with after market pipes/cams ... and from what I know , your going to be pressed to get bike to run as it should with that tuner and HD parts, I use tts tuner and the Fullsac pipe, baffles and a can map from Steve . Bike works great for touring and carving up the turns .... like your looking to do. Got 32k  on mine and not thinking about changing much at this point. And if plans change the tts will do what is needed at that time my 2 cents
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:21:47 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
« Reply #1527 on: June 20, 2019, 05:18:16 PM »

The HD tuner is not going to work with after market pipes/cams ... and from what I know , your going to be pressed to get bike to run as it should with that tuner and HD parts, I use tts tuner and the Fullsac pipe, baffles and a can map from Steve . Bike works great for touring and caving up the turns .... like your looking to do. Got 32k  on mine and not thinking about changing much at this point. And if plans change the tts will do what is needed at that time my 2 cents

No arguing your statements. This was what the Harley parts guy sold me to go along with the 117" kit. I'll have to investigate it more and hopefully I can change the order if they haven't bought the tuner yet.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #1528 on: June 20, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »

Regardless of what the salesmen are telling you need to be aware that the ESP will not cover the engine when these mods are made. The only time they cover engine mods is if they are done pre-delivery on a new bike. Never on used bikes. If you are unsure of this call the ESP company and ask!  For the tuner I would recommend a TTS or a Power vision, not a watered down SE tuner. There are many cam choices for the 117, the tman 625 is a torque monster in that build.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #1529 on: June 20, 2019, 08:41:47 PM »

I know since the M8 engines have come about there isn't as much interest in the older Twin Cams but I hope some will respond.

I just acquired a 2015 CVO RGU with 4,600 miles on it. When I was swingin the deal for the bike I had them add the 117" kit in along with a SEPST & Auto tune module. I also got a 60 month ESP to go with all of it, which is part of why I am going with the SE tuner.
Also adding V&H Power Duals head pipes and Khrome Werks mufflers to the mix when it is all being done. Figured why increase the engine size and not allow it to breath some also.

My bike is for touring and carving the corners while just having fun. I am not trying to

So from what I am reading and know from past experience the SE-259 isn't the go to cam for torque right out of the door. It seems like a TC-24D/TC-25D or Woods or S&S might be a better choice but I'd rather stick with what's in the kit unless there is a VALID reason to change stuff.

Plan for now is to run the stock CVO heads until either next spring or spring 2021. Then I'll pull my heads during the winter and send them out to be ported.
And while we are talking about HEAD.....   :orange: :huepfenjump3: oops heads, since I don't have anyone local who does everyone recommend I send them out to? Fuel Moto? Or buy some S&S heads? Or others?

Several good cams out there. I am running the 24d and couldn't be happier. The T-man 625 as HD dude suggests would be a good choise also when you do heads. Personally I think the T-man 600 might be a really good choice also with the stock compression. If you are wanting to stay with a SE cam that come with the kit I was ask them the supply the SE 585 over the 259 if you are retaining stock compression.

Several head people out there. I used John Sachs and have been very happy with the results and you can't beat his service. Always there to help. Others will add to that list I am sure.

You might also be well served to grab a set of heads off FleaBay or even the looking to purchase board here and buy an extra set of heads that you can send off to be done without the bike being down. Once bike is finished you can sale your or have a spare set.

As for tuner do yourself a favor and forget the SE tuner. Your warranty is not going to serve you very well anyhow once you touch the bike. I used TTS, but talk to whoever is going to tune your bike.
Most great stores start with a bad decision
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 113

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.