Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: On the way to Eureka Springs, or Going down on I-40 W.  (Read 21907 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: On the way to Eureka Springs, or Going down on I-40 W.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 08:18:34 AM »

Hate to hear this but glad you are OK....Be safe on the rest of your trip!

Mike

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 08:23:51 AM »

:-\

"and have always said having a trailer on saved my butt. Now you prove it again".................. :nixweiss:

2K,  I read thru these post entries pretty fast,  but don't believe I saw anyone address the (cause) that Mikey got into a "tank slapper" in the first place.

Personally,  instead of "praising" the trailer as (saving his azz),  I would point directly at the TRAILER as the primary cause for the slapper scenario to occur.

It's been a long time back,  but my return ride from the 100 yr HD anniversary deal in Milwaukee,  we encountered the immediate aftermath of an overturned Harley (with  trailer) in the middle of the interstate.  I chatted with the car driver that was directly behind the bike/trailer rider.  He said that the trailer started fishtailing and caused the rider to loose control and he was thrown from the bike to the pavement and the bike/trailer ended up in the ditch upside down with the trailer tires still spinning when I was there.

BOTTOM LINE...............In that case,  I imagine the trailer load front to back (re: tongue weight) was not as should be and created the problem.   I have no clue as to Mikeys situation other than to say.................My bet would be he would NOT have gotten into a "tank slapper" had he NOT been pulling a trailer in the first place. :soapbox: 

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »

Glad to hear your okay Mikey. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.
Wish I could have made it. I could have helped you with the refreshments.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »

Happy to hear that you're OK Mikey.  The bike doesn't sound that bad, either, if you're still riding it.

Easy to play arm chair quarterback and a lot of people did it after my accident so I'll keep my thoughts regarding how it happened, to myself.  Just be sure to get the neck bearings and the fall away checked ASAP!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 08:54:40 AM »

Mikey so glad you are OK and it wasn't any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »

Glad to hear you're okay Uncle Mikey!!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »

:-\

"and have always said having a trailer on saved my butt. Now you prove it again".................. :nixweiss:

2K,  I read thru these post entries pretty fast,  but don't believe I saw anyone address the (cause) that Mikey got into a "tank slapper" in the first place.

Personally,  instead of "praising" the trailer as (saving his azz),  I would point directly at the TRAILER as the primary cause for the slapper scenario to occur

It's been a long time back,  but my return ride from the 100 yr HD anniversary deal in Milwaukee,  we encountered the immediate aftermath of an overturned Harley (with  trailer) in the middle of the interstate.  I chatted with the car driver that was directly behind the bike/trailer rider.  He said that the trailer started fishtailing and caused the rider to loose control and he was thrown from the bike to the pavement and the bike/trailer ended up in the ditch upside down with the trailer tires still spinning when I was there.

BOTTOM LINE...............In that case,  I imagine the trailer load front to back (re: tongue weight) was not as should be and created the problem.   I have no clue as to Mikeys situation other than to say.................My bet would be he would NOT have gotten into a "tank slapper" had he NOT been pulling a trailer in the first place. :soapbox:

I easily see where an improperly loaded trailer could cause a problem rather than prevent one. I would bet the farm this wasn't the case with Unc. He has pulled that trailer and it precious cargo for several years now behind both Scooters & trucks and knows how to load it. In my case, how many times have you heard of someone hitting a deer at 60mph killing it on impact and not even laying down? I passed 2 emergency vehicles as I was going down the mountain, stopped in Silverton and called 911 and told them I had hit a deer and my scoot was damaged pretty good ($4100). They said thanks for calling cause they were looking to scrape me off the road. A car behind me called 911 and told them a motorcycle had hit a deer......then the azzholes passed me without stopping to see if I needed help, of course they probably couldn't pull a trailer either!!! Ask Grandpadoc if his trailer helped him. :nervous:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 11:09:01 AM »

Brother Mike as you know I can relate to your experience and I am so pleased that God had has arms all around you.  May your bumps and bruises heal quickly and the remainder of your journey be well.

Take it easy and ride safe brother as I know you will.

:2vrolijk_21:

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »

I am glad you made it through this OK.  I was going to ask if you knew what caused the problem. I am not sure what "tank slapping" is but I assume this when you fishtail hard. 

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »

I am glad you made it through this OK.  I was going to ask if you knew what caused the problem. I am not sure what "tank slapping" is but I assume this when you fishtail hard.

Speed wobble, head shake, death wobble and shimmy are different terms used for the same action of a "tank slapper." It's slang which refers to the action of the front forks violently moving side to side and the handlebars almost slapping the tank.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »

Mikey just seeing this, thanks to our God for his mercy. Glad you are here and nothing broken. How is the Bike? If I can help from Greensboro let me know!

BigLew

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »

Mikey just seeing this, thanks to our God for his mercy. Glad you are here and nothing broken. How is the Bike? If I can help from Greensboro let me know!

BigLew

X2, Mikey!  So glad you're ok!  We'll talk about it over a "Bison-Burger" again, sometime!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »

X2, Mikey!  So glad you're ok!  We'll talk about it over a "Bison-Burger" again, sometime! Later--HUBBARD

X3 Mikey. All I can say is HOLY chit!!!!! If you need anything call THE DAWG!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »

Sure is good to still hear from you Mikey.
Hope you have safe travels the rest of the way.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »

Scary stuff!  Glad you're OK and were able to continue on, Mike! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.