Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: -Yep, another how to get it running cooler posting, come on in...  (Read 1252 times)

Steventammy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

So...we picked up our 3rd HD but our 1st CVO about a month ago. 
2011 Road Glide
And it came with a V&H x-pipe WITH Rineharts on the back end.

With that being said, any clue as to whether the Cats have already been removed?
I hear that makes a huge difference...

Also, it does have a tune, although I have no idea what the previous tuner put into it so on another day I'll get it looked at furthher to check the map/afr curves.

But until then, does removing the cats make THAT much of a cooling impact? 
Steve & Tammy
2011 CVO RGU

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
Re: -Yep, another how to get it running cooler posting, come on in...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »

If it has the Vance and Hines Power Duals ("X" style pipe with collector), then it does not have a cat. Those are a nice head pipe.

And yes, in my experience, I can tell a difference on my right leg with no cat.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:17:43 PM »

... does removing the cats make THAT much of a cooling impact?

In general:  The cat is its own heat source.  The heat generated will be the least with a (properly) lean-running engine.  I think folks sometimes try to cool down the engine by running it richer (and that will help with heat coming from the engine) but by doing so, the cat will get even hotter as the extra fuel is burned off inside the converter.

In this case that's a moot point, but just saying...

I'm currently running a 103 Limited with the factory headpipes and tune intact and notice no objectionable heat from it, in Indiana.

Steventammy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:54:56 PM »

Makes sense...thanks !
Steve & Tammy
2011 CVO RGU

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:00:41 AM »

Heat is always the enemy.  I remember back in the day, when I was runnin' with some pretty lawless ol' boys down on the East Coast, the quest for HP was as prevalent then, as it is now, just on a different scale.  And I know, there's a great gulf fixed between the mechanical V-Twins of old, and Hi-Tech, computerized V-Twins of today.  There were certain Engine mods, I learned from my heroes of that time in my life.  Jeez, lookin' back, I sure had some crazy a$$ed heroes.  I don't remember all the build details as to Cam and Heads, but I do remember S&S and SU and Mikuni Carburetors, Belt Primarys, .60 over Piston in front cyl, and .10 over in rear cyl., and 60W Motor Oil.  Ah, the memories.  But I guess the best, and most simple advice I got was from a guy named "Yogi", that I still try to stick to today.  I can hear his voice right now, "eez ol' girls is air-cooled man, so they need air.  Stay outta' town, and keep her in the breeze.  She'll run forever."  Wish it was that simple today.  Later--HUBBARD     
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.