Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Engine sounds awful and no power  (Read 19282 times)

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

Engine sounds awful and no power
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »

I was out riding with a friend yesterday.  I was chasing his 2016 BMW with my 2016 SESG.  It was all fun and games until we stopped for lunch after filling up in Marlington, WV.  I guess we were stopped for an hour when I started up my SESG and it sounded awful.  Spitting and sputtering.  I shut it off and started again.  Same thing.  Hardly enough power to even get the bike moving forward without stalling out.  I went a couple miles down the road to see if it cleared-up.  If I rolled the throttle past 1/3 way, it would sound loud but loose all power.  Spit and sputter.  Under 2K RPM and it would spit and sputter.  Turned it around and went back to the gas station.  Looked it over and couldn't see anything obvious, like a wire disconnected.  I re-seated the spark plug wires.  Pulled the main fuse for a few seconds.  No improvement.  I thought it was possible I had some bad gas, do I purchased some fuel additive to remove water and boost the octane.  No improvement.  Decided to try and run it a few miles down the road, to see if it cleared-up.  It would run horrible up to about 3K rpm, then clear up and give me a giant kick in the rear as it took off, and then when I shifted and the RPM fell below 3K again, I couldn't make it up the smallest of hills and it would spit and sputter.  The lurching action made it difficult to ride through curves in rural west virginia.  I had no phone service and the bike was barely rideable.  I wound up limping it home. Stopped several times, hoping it would clear up.  I don't know if something clogged the injector or what.  I'll be taking it to the dealer, as it's only six weeks off the dealer floor and under warranty.  Has about 4K miles on it.  Thinking back, there was one other time I had a rough idle issue at starting.  I was somewhere in the midwest and it did the rough idle pop and lurch thing at starting up after a food/fuel stop.  It cleared up fairly quick, so I didn't think much of it.  No engine light, so I'm thinking no codes were thrown.  Really odd.  It runs like the old school carb cars did when it had a big vacuum leak in the intake.   
I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue happen to them, and what was discovered as the issue?  I'm thinking of draining the remaining gas (about 1/3 tank left of that last fill-up in Marlington) and filling with pure gas, to see if it helps.  The dealer I purchased the bike from is closed on Monday's, so I thought I might futz around with it tonight.  Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome, as I'm stumped. 

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
Re: Engine sounds awful and no power
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »

Have you tried pulling codes using the trip reset switch? That might give a clue.

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »

Diesel fuel by mistake?? :nervous:

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »

Have you tried pulling codes using the trip reset switch? That might give a clue.
Not yet, but I will tonight after work. 

Diesel fuel by mistake?? :nervous:
No, and my friend riding the BMW filled-up at the same station with the same grade gas (93 octane) and had zero issues with his bike. 

bdcpv

• harley owner since 1994
    • MI

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »

look at O2 sensors... it seems you burned or disconnected one and so u went in recovery map or the ecu isn't able to reach the correct target.

let me know

thanks

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »

I had a similar experience with my limited, restart after re-fill ran very bad, shut the engine off for a few seconds as the wife asks what the hell? Restarted and ran great, If I was to guess I would think a MAP sensor out of range issue.
I never tried to pull codes and it only has done it 1 time. Hope you get it figured out  quick.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »

I had a similar issue.

When you filled the tank, did you fill it up to the very top of the neck and then park for lunch?

I ask because that was my issue. I once stopped for gas and filled up with the bike upright between my legs, and not on the side stand. This allowed me to fill it up to the edge of the filler neck. When filled to the neck and then parked, the gas vapors expanded and pushed gasoline into the overflow system. This dumped gas right into the induction unit (throttle body) causing it to gag in an over rich manner while throttling up. I had to let the bike idle a while and "drink" up a sufficient amount of gas to lower the fuel level in the tank. Once this was done it ran fine.

Not sure if this is what happened to you, just sharing my experience.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 04:29:41 PM »

first you can check to see if there are any codes in the bike.   This would be the first thing to try.

2nd
Check to be sure your spark plug wires are set on the sparkplug by that i mean you cant just pull em off with no effort.   Something similiar to what you are seeing might be that the bike is loading down to 1 cylinder and then with enough rpm or such its making enough connectivity to get full spark.

Can also ground the sparkplug to the head and be sure you are getting sufficient spark ... as if you have a spark plug that is cracked, the top screw on metal piece can also come off etc.

you can also easily reset the throttle system by turning the handle bar switch to run / start
Then turn the ignition on/off 6 times on off on off on off -----

Then turn the bike off and let sit for a minute and see if that helps at all.

Hope ya figure it out.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »

tony's bike did that last yr coming to wv gtg after we left paintbank. ended up being  broke valve guide. that looked to be brought on by excessive heat & cam bearings were shot. end of cam was flopping around & wore out the case. ended up with new motor. hope this isn't your case. but it's happened tp Tony twice while in Va. good luck. keep us posted.
ps. his first go round was like yours. bike running fine stopped for gas, hit the hwy & it wasn't running worth a crap & making noise
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

Same thing here water in the gas X2.
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »

If it'sonly 20.00 drain the tank and refill or get some lead free higher octane and see if it makes a difference
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »

Checked error codes.  It's throwing two;
P0151 - low voltage to O2 sensor (rear)
P1356 - rear cyl no combustion
says p/n 001234-01, which I can't find a reference to anywhere.

Sounds like bad O2 sensor. 

Tried the obvious; unplugged the 02 sensor lead connectors and re-seated (under right side cover).  Unplugged the three connectors to the ECU and re-seated.  Checked the wiring condition of the 02 sensor leads and saw no damage or burns or whatnot.  Unplugged the main fuse for 20 seconds.  Said "f@ck me" to no one in particular. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:21:53 PM by NORSEMAN »

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 06:32:36 PM »

When you filled the tank, did you fill it up to the very top of the neck and then park for lunch?
  I have OCD, and my compulsivity means I try to make the fuel reach the filler bung.  I can't help it.

If it'sonly 20.00 drain the tank and refill or get some lead free higher octane and see if it makes a difference
  Only have 1/4 tank of gas left.  I'm going to drain it and re-fill with gas from a station that I use frequently and have had no historical issues with. 

tony's bike did that last yr coming to wv gtg after we left paintbank. ended up being  broke valve guide. that looked to be brought on by excessive heat & cam bearings were shot. end of cam was flopping around & wore out the case. ended up with new motor. hope this isn't your case. but it's happened tp Tony twice while in Va. good luck. keep us posted.
ps. his first go round was like yours. bike running fine stopped for gas, hit the hwy & it wasn't running worth a crap & making noise
I was doing my best to keep up with that BMW.  Did ok, but my stock 110 doesn't have the legs to keep up with the boxer on the straights, and my cornering clearance (SESG) is reduced.  It was pretty darned hot, but it ran great until it rested an hour at our lunch stop.  Hope it's just something simple.  If it wasn't under warranty, I would just change out the 02 sensor and see if it resolves the issue.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 07:27:48 PM »

Tried the obvious; unplugged the 02 sensor lead connectors and re-seated (under right side cover).  Unplugged the three connectors to the ECU and re-seated.  Checked the wiring condition of the 02 sensor leads and saw no damage or burns or whatnot.  Unplugged the main fuse for 20 seconds.  Said "f@ck me" to no one in particular.

I had this symptom not too long ago right before I headed out on my last rode trip, my code was no combustion on front cylinder 1353 I think it was. It was not too far from home so I limped in. I was warming it up for a fluid change so I did that and changed the plugs, cleaned and greased the connectors at the ECM and throttle body. Been running fine for the last 3k er so.  :nixweiss:

Hope it's something simple for you. Good luck and keep us apprised.

TN
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:28:01 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »

Generally this is every bit as effective as bringing your ride to a certified MOCO dealer technician...   :2vrolijk_21:  ;)

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.