Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: JCZ toy hauler....  (Read 31047 times)

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
Re: JCZ toy hauler....
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »

I have a 2015 F250 SD and it gets about 7mpg when towing our Toy Hauler.

ultrarider123

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »

The truth is, we've been working towards this goal for years.  When I retire later this year we will be living and traveling in the Momentum full time.  We're going to join the growing class of "full timers".  Yep, they even have several forums for full timers.  We're going to live the life, live the dream.....of the life that I used to dream about while on my long rides.

Plan to make it to more GTGs, also!  :2vrolijk_21:

Good for you, JC.  A boss of mine retired August 31, 2015 and that's what they have done.  They actually sold everything about a year prior, bought their fifth wheel and truck and lived "the life" before he retired just to make sure they would enjoy it....they did!  Here's a link to their blog if you are interested.  It's got quite a few "glad we done" and "won't do that again" all through it.  They are fully enjoying that life.  They did recently trade their fifth wheel and F-450 in on a diesel pusher so "phase II" has begun.
http://akerrvtravels.blogspot.com/

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »

Duane, you've got me curious now.  I'll check it mileage vs. gallons used, the old fashioned way.  But I can't imagine that both trucks would be off by that much.

Ace....7 mpg.....I'd have that ruck in auto trader so fast.  I haven't talked to (or read on the forums) anybody in a few years that got that poor of mileage.  I couldn't afford to go anywhere at that rate.   Those 40' class A diesel pushers towing a towed get better mileage than that.  :nixweiss:

Haird.....going to take a look at that blog when I get home tonight.  Thanks for posting it.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »

I don't think you will b throwing YOUR watch away haha. Looks like good times ahead.

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »

Duane, you've got me curious now.  I'll check it mileage vs. gallons used, the old fashioned way.  But I can't imagine that both trucks would be off by that much.

Ace....7 mpg.....I'd have that ruck in auto trader so fast.  I haven't talked to (or read on the forums) anybody in a few years that got that poor of mileage.  I couldn't afford to go anywhere at that rate.   Those 40' class A diesel pushers towing a towed get better mileage than that.  :nixweiss:

Haird.....going to take a look at that blog when I get home tonight.  Thanks for posting it.

My 32' class A gas will get 8.5-9 MPG towing my 2 bike box trailer at 60-65MPH. At 70-80MPH it drops to 7.5 MPG (rig fully loaded). Most folks I have spoken with that have diesel pushers (which will be what we get next to also full time) are only getting in the 6-9 MPG range

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »

My 32' class A gas will get 8.5-9 MPG towing my 2 bike box trailer at 60-65MPH. At 70-80MPH it drops to 7.5 MPG (rig fully loaded). Most folks I have spoken with that have diesel pushers (which will be what we get next to also full time) are only getting in the 6-9 MPG range

Not to get in to a debate about mileage in this thread but I shopped class A diesel vs. gas and once I learned that diesel gets better mileage (comparing the same vehicle (or at least length and weight) I then compated class A dp vs. the diesel truck and 5th wheel.  I quick google search will reflect that a diesel motor will get better mileage.

Yep, there are some of those 45' class A dps out there pulling a towed that are only getting 9 mpg (lower mileage if they're older) but if you were to get a gas motor to pull that same weight and size, the gas mileage would be much worse.  That's one of the many reason people go the expense to get in to a dp.  I think you'll be much happier with that dp than you are with your current little gas rig.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »

I keep telling Babe I'm throwing my watch away.  LOL
I did that 7 years ago and haven't missed it one bit.
That is one sweet rig you got there JC. Will be looking forward to seeing you on our side of the country someday.

Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »

Nice setup JCZ we are looking at the grand design 5th wheel but no garage, the wife likes the fact that she can get a dishwasher and washer & dryer.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

I am a few years behind you JC but that looks like a great retirement plan!
Congrats!  And I will be looking forward to some of the many stories that should be generated with new life style.

We had a 5ver toy hauler when my kids were young and we raced MX nearly every weekend on the east coast. Some of the best times.
Empty nesters starting next year so who knows maybe its time to get another one.

Love the getting rid of "the sticks and bricks"

ENJOY!

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »

Way to go you two, live the life you love.

pcpisano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »

JC, congratulations and well done. We wish the best to you and your spouse in your travels. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »

I keep telling Babe I'm throwing my watch away.  LOL
I did that 7 years ago and haven't missed it one bit.
That is one sweet rig you got there JC. Will be looking forward to seeing you on our side of the country someday.

Mike
 :drink:

I was so used to wearing a watch that right after I turned in my retirement instructions, I took the watch off just to get used to NOT wearing one.  That was almost 3-1/2 years ago and the only time I wear one now is when I travel or go out on the town with Patty.  And even then, it's mostly for looks, as I like the look of the Seiko dive watch but I don't miss the weight.  Heck, if I absolutely gotta know what time it is, I check my cell phone if I'm not in the car!
Heck...everyday is Saturday now for us, so who needs a watch!   :coolblue:   :drink:   :P
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »

I was so used to wearing a watch that right after I turned in my retirement instructions, I took the watch off just to get used to NOT wearing one.  That was almost 3-1/2 years ago and the only time I wear one now is when I travel or go out on the town with Patty.  And even then, it's mostly for looks, as I like the look of the Seiko dive watch but I don't miss the weight.  Heck, if I absolutely gotta know what time it is, I check my cell phone if I'm not in the car!
Heck...everyday is Saturday now for us, so who needs a watch!   :coolblue:   :drink:   :P

That's what I'm a talkin bout! :P

West Coast GTG   

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »

JC, will you be bringing the unit to Eureka Springs?   Sure would like to get a look at it.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »

JC, will you be bringing the unit to Eureka Springs?   Sure would like to get a look at it.

No, I'll not be making it to ES.  This project just listed for sale this week and I get a nice little "stay on bonus" if I'm here until the last day close of escrow.  Can't afford to pass that up but I'll be heading out immediately there after.  Still hope to make it to the GTG in Cody, Wy. and if I do, I'll have it there.

You can go see this model, Momentum 376TH at a Grand Design dealership near you.  It's the ultimate toy hauler, that's for sure.  Looking on the owner's forum, people are selling their other brands that are only a couple of years old to get in to this model.  And a lot of people that ride (some have other brands of motorcycles) have this model.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.