Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: whats your bike worth  (Read 11167 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: whats your bike worth
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »

I would bet most of us have spent as much on "minor improvements" over the life of our bike than trade in....lol.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

110Mofo

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »

Silver and Ziggy are worth a lot to me, not as much as my wife or the rest of my family, but they give me a sence of freedom and relaxation.
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

There are two three ways of looking at what it's worth.
# 1. What the book or dealer/ buyer says it is worth. What someone will pay for your bike.
# 2. What the new/ replacement bike will cost you to buy. My bike falls in this category. If I keep         rather than replace it at whatever price . That is what it is worth to me.
# 3. Oh Yeah, whatever the insurance company pays you when it is stolen or totaled.
JMHO

Mike
 :drink:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:09:50 PM by MIKEYTEE »
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 01:37:12 PM »

KBB price's aren't realistic. I have the exact bike as you and KBB says $30,700 retail but I know of 2 HD dealers that have had that bike for sale used and both were right around $24,000 and Patriot HD currently has one for $23,700.

while I agree somewhat, I was really pointing out the huge disparity between what the 'book' says and what ccw's dealer was offering him for trade. 

I don't buy/sell often, but when I have, I usually just go for the trade for the added convenience.  I have always managed to get trade for what I would have sold the bike outright for.  and around here, it doesn't matter if you are financing, paying cash outright, etc. the new bike is going to cost x amount.  very little haggling.  you might get the 1k service thrown in, or a $100 gift card, but unless it is a bike that the dealer just absolutely has to blow out, then you aren't getting a huge deal on it.

but, having said all that.  I didn't buy the bike to trade it in and get all (or most) of my money back.  I bought it cause I liked it, I always wanted a cvo, and I plan on riding it till the wheels fall off.  then i'll buy new wheels.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

J.D.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »

Every bike I've bought was used from a private party and every bike I've sold has been sold outright and not traded-in.  Still lost money overall but maybe not as bad as buying new and trading-in used to the dealer on new.  Downside is I've never owned a brand new bike in the exact color and model I wanted.  But then again every bike I've owned I've done a lot of engine work and customization to make it "mine".  Everything is a compromise.  Bottom line, less deals the better LOL.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »

Maybe I’m strange, but resale value never really crosses my mind. I can’t believe how many people buy motorcycles, hardly touch them, and then want to trade them off in 2-3 seasons for something new. Spending 30k plus, I figured people would buy something they’d be sure to want for a good while. I bought my CVO used 3 years ago and it still feels “new” to me, always giddy as Hell when it’s time to ride it. It’s hard to get across my thoughts through text and I apologize if I wasn’t tactful. I just don’t understand it.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 03:33:31 PM »

Hell, I've spent so much $ on this one "making it my own", I couldn't imagine starting over every few years...but it was a lot of fun! 

J.D.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »

Well life changes and situations come up.  Health issues, divorce, etc all can force a guy to reluctantly sell "the one".

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 07:46:22 PM »

Whats your bike worth. This is a warning to all bikers thinking of upgrading to a CVO. They aren't worth anything. Mine is a 2014 ultra limited with 20000 miles. Trade in value is 22000 and thats from Harley. So I have lost 20000 grand in just 3 years. Harley always bregged about resale value. I was talking to a dealer in Seattle Wa. and he the #1 worst value on trade in right now is a harley CVO.

:nixweiss: For the most part, over the years I have sold (outright) my cars/trucks/bikes............no kinda "trade in".  But with Harleys,  I have indeed gone the (trade in) route a couple of times.  If you can deal (without) the CVO logo and all the fancy paint, etc.  you can get into a new Harley for a lot less......via a trade.

I paid the big time price a few yrs back for a '09 CVO Ultra Classic.  A 110 with all the bells/whistles.......and the hoggish extra weight (high up ) with the tour pack.........which (overall weight wise) I felt was just too much.  I took it to Sturgis and enjoyed the bike for a few yrs.....but wanted something that handled better like my old Road Kings.  Finally opted for a new 2014 Street Glide Special.  Dealer set it up with V&H headers/rinehart duals/tuner/GDO transmitter (like I already had on the Ultra)/ my expensive LED headlite from the Ultra........custom highway pegs plus matching brake/shifter pads and floor pads and the windshield of my choice.  Plus a few other things that I can't remember now...........but I moved from a 2009 bike to a 2014 bike with a full new warranty...........and $2500 plus taxes/plates. :cherry:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 09:04:37 AM »

Maybe I’m strange, but resale value never really crosses my mind. I can’t believe how many people buy motorcycles, hardly touch them, and then want to trade them off in 2-3 seasons for something new. Spending 30k plus, I figured people would buy something they’d be sure to want for a good while. I bought my CVO used 3 years ago and it still feels “new” to me, always giddy as Hell when it’s time to ride it. It’s hard to get across my thoughts through text and I apologize if I wasn’t tactful. I just don’t understand it.

I trade about every two years, right at 45K miles.  Dealers do not want a 4 year old bike with over 90K miles on it.  Found out the hard with with my wife Heritage.  I average right at 24K miles a year, my wife closer to 30K a year. 

I have a second CVO I bought knowing I was keeping it, as its an anniversary bike, and I also wanted a hot rod.  It's both, I have it built to 138 HP and 140 torque.  I will keep this past 45K as I built the motor, and it is not a high milage bike, its my toy.

I have traded lots of bikes after 2~3 years.  I have only ever regretted or missed one bike, the 12 CVO Road Glide Skunk.  My wife even told me to just get the new CVO and keep that one.  I just couldn't justify having 4 bikes.

I love my 17 CVO Street Glide, love the new motor, new suspension and great paint.  It will be traded before 50K miles. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

jaysails

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »

I think HD"s only option is to cut production big time, especially with the CVO's, and try to somewhat back to the days when you had to wait for a bike.  It's a huge problem though.  So many new and fancy dealerships, that need to have inventory turn. Most of them seem to have way too many bikes on the floor.  New dealership's, increased production, and increasing prices yearly, will always catch up to you.  I'm just glad, my relationship with them, is an end user.  I think this will be my last CVO, however, I have said that before.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »

ANYBODY that buys a Harley with an investment in mind is out of touch. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it.........but you ain't gonna make money on it. Harley made sure those days were over with the 2003 market flood.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 06:12:19 PM »

I sold my 2009 FLHTCUSE4 for $16.5. 
It had loads of extras and was as clean as any 2009 available. 
I am completely psychotic with keeping my stuff clean. 
Most money I have ever lost on anything I have ever owned and traded or sold.
Campers, boats, cars, other motorcycles, the CVO is the record holder. 
But you only live once.  It was not bought as an investment.

That being said, I will never put $40k+++++ into another motorcycle.

Learning from others here that the used CVO is the smart buy.  Next one will be used.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »

I sold my 2009 FLHTCUSE4 for $16.5. 
It had loads of extras and was as clean as any 2009 available. 
I am completely psychotic with keeping my stuff clean. 
Most money I have ever lost on anything I have ever owned and traded or sold.
Campers, boats, cars, other motorcycles, the CVO is the record holder. 
But you only live once.  It was not bought as an investment.

That being said, I will never put $40k+++++ into another motorcycle.

Learning from others here that the used CVO is the smart buy.  Next one will be used.
There is no new $40,000 recreational vehicle out there that you wouldn't take a major bath on 8 years later-period. Have to go in "eyes wide open" and spend that money strictly because you want it and will enjoy it in spite of the lousy investment it is.
Jus sayin
Alan

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 01:03:39 AM »

The thing I've come to know is you pay more for the name of Harley Davidson then what the bike is really worth. You then add 10k on that name cost to add CVO to it.
When I was shopping for my Harley l was looking at a new 103 touring at 18k and change (in 2011)and just happened to see outside a row of used bikes waiting to go into the dealer work shop (they where trade in bikes)
I was asking the price of different one's and got to the one l have now (it was a 2007 priced at that time was £29,999) the sales guy said £12,500 and it only had 6k on the clock all recalls and mods 1 and 2 had been done. I thought too myself a 3 year old 30k bike just had it's first service. I said I'll have it and would you put a new tyre on the back the rep said sure and no charge.
So we went in l put 500 down got the finance signed the paperwork and delivery the following week.
Here's where the story gets better. Half way through the delivery week l get a phone call from the dealer saying we're sorry but we've made a mistake, we've gaven you the wrong price for your bike (operative words YOUR BIKE) the price for the bike should have been £18,500 ( there you go right there a 12k loss on a 3 year old CVO) the manager said we have to have another 6k I'm sorry for the misunderstanding,......So am I,.... I said, then he said you do realise it's a CVO and we should have not let it go for £12,500. I replied,...Yes l knew it was a CVO but I was there looking to buy a bike and if your sales rep had said 18,500 l would have kept walking and buy a new 103 touring bike for the same money. I took the price your sales rep gave me if he didn't know it was a CVO l can't cover his mistake and finance another 6k. I did feel bad about it but was not going to do anything about it at the same time.
So my bike is my retirement investment I'll have it till I'm gone and spend what ever it needs to it too keep me rolling.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 21 queries.