Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Ultra shutters on take off  (Read 2137 times)

OldSkull

• 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • OK

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Ultra shutters on take off
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »

Hello!
My 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Ultra shutters on take off. otherwise runs great.
Only thing I did prior to noticing the shuttering is remove the seat and tank to install a simple frame bracket for my love jugs fan thing.
Only involved plugging into the accessory port.

The dealership figured it was clutch plates, as they were fairly well worn. I have a little over 60K miles on it. I thought maybe it was just coincidence, as I have never experienced worn clutch plates, kinda thought they would last a very long time because of their design.

BUT, it still does the same thing now after the new plates.
Any thoughts on it being a broken injector wire inside the wire casing? Just something I found on another site.

Thank you all!

2013 FLHTCUSE8
"Sookie"
Bassani Slant Slip-ons / V&H True Duels / Super Sucker II, HD Tuner/Dyno, Covington Cycles Chrome Inserts, Mustang Duel Heated Seat, D-Gerbing Heated Gear System / Custom Run/Brake/Turn for Rear Lighting, Progressive Shocks / Chrome Primary Case, Ram Camera Mount/Iron Braid Levers-bag Guard

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Ultra shutters on take off
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »

Clutch plates seem like a reasonable diagnosis if the bike is shuddering*. I would also check motor mounts. 

*I assume you mean "shuddering" as in the bike is shaking and not "shuttering" as in shutting or closing down.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

OldSkull

• 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • OK

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »

Aww, good point about the mounts.  I checked with my dealer service dept. before removing the horn bracket that connects both heads at the top. wonder if they serve a function other than holding the horn bell thing up?

2013 FLHTCUSE8
"Sookie"
Bassani Slant Slip-ons / V&H True Duels / Super Sucker II, HD Tuner/Dyno, Covington Cycles Chrome Inserts, Mustang Duel Heated Seat, D-Gerbing Heated Gear System / Custom Run/Brake/Turn for Rear Lighting, Progressive Shocks / Chrome Primary Case, Ram Camera Mount/Iron Braid Levers-bag Guard

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:48:35 PM »

From what you've described it does sound clutch related. As your letting out the clutch lever,..Is it like there's not enough throttle? What happens when you do give more than normal? Do you feel any pulsing on the lever as the bike shutters?
I would think that the clutch springs would have been replaced with the plates. Weak springs could cause shutting.
As mentioned the mount's could also. Do a check on the mount's , hold the front brake have someone​ looking at the motor as you slowly let out the clutch lever just enough were it starts to grab  if it's a mount the motor should lift and drop simulating the shuttering as you pull off, better yet have someone video concentrating on motor and drive if all looks study with the motor as the bike is shuttering i would go back to the clutch.
A car or truck will do the same thing shutter as you let out the clutch. That's do to weak pressure clutch plate

OldSkull

• 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • OK

Re: SOLVED ;;;;; 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Ultra shutters on take off
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »

Resolved!

I did replace the clutch plates, sooner than I expected, bike has 60k miles.

The final resolution ended up being the Love Jugs frame mount bracket was touching the injector bracket just a tiny bit, but enough to pick up the vibration from the heads and amplify it through the bike.

I took it all apart, and re-adjusted everything more maximum clearance, pushing the off center mount between the heads, and nudging the fans back to middle, being very careful not to cause any rub on the fuel line.  There is probably a little rubbing that I will add some rubber hose around it to ensure no abrasion.

Was still able to mount the main fan bracket behind the frame mount to allow the fans to be as close as possible to the heads.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

2013 FLHTCUSE8
"Sookie"

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 22 queries.