Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Rushmore plug wires rubbing thru  (Read 5374 times)

vdubjay

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Rushmore plug wires rubbing thru
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »

Recently I removed my tank on my 2015 FLTRUSE for cleaning and noticed my front plug wire has rubbed thru the insulation, it's rubbing the underside of the fuel tank.  I contacted dealer they are aware of this problem and said they will replace wires and apply a protective sleeve over the wire "applying a band aid to the problem, not fixing it".  So far I've asked about 10 other Rushmore owners and they were shocked to find the same problem.  I know there was a previous post relating to this problem, I'm trying to make sure everybody know this is an issue and of course HD is not interested in fixing it just covering it up.  Is it just me or does it appear HD learned nothing from the AMF days (Greed prevails, make the cheapest possible product the customer will still buy), I wish I liked Indians. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Rushmore plug wires rubbing thru
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »

Recently I removed my tank on my 2015 FLTRUSE for cleaning and noticed my front plug wire has rubbed thru the insulation, it's rubbing the underside of the fuel tank.  I contacted dealer they are aware of this problem and said they will replace wires and apply a protective sleeve over the wire "applying a band aid to the problem, not fixing it".  So far I've asked about 10 other Rushmore owners and they were shocked to find the same problem.  I know there was a previous post relating to this problem, I'm trying to make sure everybody know this is an issue and of course HD is not interested in fixing it just covering it up.  Is it just me or does it appear HD learned nothing from the AMF days (Greed prevails, make the cheapest possible product the customer will still buy), I wish I liked Indians.

A thicker rubber sleeve will take longer to rub through, thus making sure the bike is out of warranty when it fails.  And of course all that rubbing on the paint of the fuel tank will eventually lead to corrosion of the bottom of the tank.  There's another thread that was posted in the past week showing parts of the wiring harness also "chafing" and being worn through where it rubs on the coolant lines to the rear head.  Harley has always made a big deal in their marketing about "tradition", and obviously continuing their history of lousy engineering is part of the tradition.

I'm sure it will all be taken care of when they redesign the frame to make room for all the extra crap they've stuffed in that area.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »

I've read this condition before and checked that plug wire on both my bikes. signs of rubbing. I took a piece of vacuum hose and slipped it over the wire. Good for 100  yrs now

remington007

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:24:11 AM »

The replacement plug wire is fastened to frame different to keep it away from the tank.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »

I also did the vacuum hose/zip-tie trick with mine on day one so never had this problem, both wires still good as new today.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

flhman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »

Glad I read this, mines rubbing also, dealer ordered new plug wire. flhman

rnich56

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »

Both my 2014's have the front plug wiring chafing to the tank.  I covered the area with sprial wrap to prevent further chafing.

Rick

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »

Both my 2014's have the front plug wiring chafing to the tank.  I covered the area with sprial wrap to prevent further chafing.

Rick
Same on my 2017 M8 CVO Limited.  Showing slight chafing on the front plug wire with 9,000 miles.  Used about 4" of split wire loom to cover it.  Hopefully that'll take care of any problems.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

MC16LTD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited (FLHTKSE)
Front Spark Plug Rubbing - Check yours now!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 01:27:55 AM »

If you have a Rushmore 14-16 touring bike (may effect other models as well) check your front spark plug wire.  Was discussing with my friend and a user group on Facebook, seems the Rushmores' have an issue with the front plug wire rubbing the sheath off against the gas tank.  My bike has just over 8000 miles and the sheath is probably worn 1/3 of the way through.  If it wears through you may be sparking of the fuel tank or missing (more so if raining).  Off to the dealer next weekend for some warranty coverage. :nervous:
2016 CVO Limited Palladium Silver & Phantom Blu, Fullsac DX w/2" Power Cores and Sleeves, SERT, Wild1's 10" mini-apes, HogTrough drink holder for those hot or cold days.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Front Spark Plug Rubbing - Check yours now!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:19:50 AM »

I will look at mine today.

Saxton

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »

Every 2015 cvo 110 has this issue. In warranty repair approved but the MO is not notifying owners.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 10:18:38 AM »

Glad I checked this post.  I rode to work today so walked out to the bike and yep, rubbing on mine, too.  A bit of electrical tape, a tie wrap to keep it off the tank and a call to the dealer to investigate for corrective action.

Thanks for the heads up.

flhman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »

Not just the CVO's either, they all do that, isn't that the standard response ? Friends 15 Road Glide is doing it, another's 17 is also. flhman

HDMIKETN64

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Special - Stage IV
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »

My 2015 RGS had similar issues. They route the wires through the gas tank/frame tunnel, which just asks for troubles. I put the 10mm red SE plug wires on it at 15k miles and made sure they were not in any position to rub. With the new M8 114, I have no idea where they run the wires, but I'm guessing it's through the same tunnel.
Michael Noirot
Clarksville, TN

2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
2015 Road Glide Special - Stage IV

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »

I just  take a section of vacuum/fuel hose, slit it and slip over the wire. Done this on my '15SGS and my '17 CVO. Both bikes had same rubbing
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.