Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: VIN Info needed  (Read 3125 times)

SPIDERMAN

VIN Info needed
« on: February 22, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »

Stoneman's 1985 FXWG is bustin my nuts. Howie thinks I should go with a BDL belt drive and scrap the old clutch. Since He's got a nice hotrod FXWG, that's looking like solid advice and not that hard to envision because there is no old clutch. The yahoo at the shop in Hollywood didn't return it. S'anyway,  Depending on whether or not the bike is early 85  the stock clutch might be as Howie said not worth the time, effort and $$$. If it's a late 85 it'd be a different story. So, I need to know if anyone can track down this VIN and tell me if it's early or late 85

Vin on Frame is 1HD1BEL12FY019996 

Motor # is * BELF019996 *

Thanks
             B B

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: VIN Info needed
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »

B. a buddy has a mid '84 w/ 4 speed belt drive shovelhead kick start. It's real rare! I'll check w/ him on your VIN in the morning.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:31:16 PM »

Stoneman's 1985 FXWG is bustin my nuts. Howie thinks I should go with a BDL belt drive and scrap the old clutch. Since He's got a nice hotrod FXWG, that's looking like solid advice and not that hard to envision because there is no old clutch. The yahoo at the shop in Hollywood didn't return it. S'anyway,  Depending on whether or not the bike is early 85  the stock clutch might be as Howie said not worth the time, effort and $$$. If it's a late 85 it'd be a different story. So, I need to know if anyone can track down this VIN and tell me if it's early or late 85

Thanks
             B B

B B, I never said to go with the open belt drive. I said the to use the stock clutch hub with a Rivera Pro Clutch, which is a wet diapragm clutch, with much more surface than the stock '85HD POS. that way you salvage everything. You need a clutch hub and the Rivera and you should be able to salvage the remaining stuff that way. I think that might be the most economic while getting a great clutch. Rivera P/N PC-1100-CA. I've had mine for over 5 years and needed a hub. They might even come with them now. Rivera is good stuff! Racing chit.  http://www.riveraengineering.com/index.html

The info for the VIN is in the Service Manual, which I lost a couple of years ago. I gotta get another one of those. Anyway, the dealer can give you this. I'd go down there so you don't get jerked around about it.

Hope this helps a little. Hoist! 8) 

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:37:53 PM »

B. a buddy has a mid '84 w/ 4 speed belt drive shovelhead kick start. It's real rare! I'll check w/ him on your VIN in the morning.

AJ, that's a dry clutch. They '85 has a wet diaphragm clutch. The '84 and earlier used that "finger" style clutch, wet or dry. The diaphragm started in '85. From what we gathered on B's buddy's bike, it's an '85 4-speed evo swingarm bike. The VIN will confirm if is a pure '85. Then the parts book will show him everything for that bike. If he identifies the bike's origin, he'll know what goes with what. ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »

Stoneman's 1985 FXWG is bustin my nuts.....Depending on whether or not the bike is early 85  the stock clutch might be as Howie said not worth the time, effort and $$$. If it's a late 85 it'd be a different story. So, I need to know if anyone can track down this VIN and tell me if it's early or late 85

Thanks
             B B

Relative to the clutch, there was no application changes midyear in ’85. There may have been a friction material change to the drive plates in that era; can’t say for sure, and it wouldn't matter now anyway. There was a starter relay and wiring change mid ’85; something else that doesn't matter.

The clutch for belt driven final drive BT's was the same from 85 through 89. ’84 and ’85 were transition years for some wet clutch models. Chain driven final drives had different ring gear spacing than the belt drive models had.

Any of the early wet clutches used on belt driven final drive machines through 1989 should work on your 1985 Wide Glide.

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 08:20:27 PM »

Relative to the clutch, there was no application changes midyear in ’85. There may have been a friction material change to the drive plates in that era; can’t say for sure, and it wouldn't matter now anyway. There was a starter relay and wiring change mid ’85; something else that doesn't matter.

The clutch for belt driven final drive BT's was the same from 85 through 89. ’84 and ’85 were transition years for some wet clutch models. Chain driven final drives had different ring gear spacing than the belt drive models had.

Any of the early wet clutches used on belt driven final drive machines through 1989 should work on your 1985 Wide Glide.

djkak

Hey dj, where've you been? I knew you'd have the model details. The '85-'89 wet clutches are POS. That's why I recommended the Rivera. The belt or chain clutches are the same, but the trans mainshfts are different. I put a tranny from an '84 softail in my '85 FXWG with a new case. It was a chain drive. The shaft is not long enought to accomodate a belt pulley. I converted my bike to a chain.

I hope all's well with you. Nice to hear from you again! Take care.

Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 08:32:42 PM »

Talked to the MoCo today. This bike was built in February of 85. Clutch change was mid year 84. The clutch that belongs in this bike is a good clutch. I have a parts manual now. Moreland Choppers is rebuilding the 4-speed. Ken Moreland told me that excepting missing shafts and bad bushings it's in great shape. He will get me the clutch I need. I sold most of the stuff that wouldn't work to a buddy building a custom so I'm good.

Howie, sorry if I misquoted you. I knew what you meant.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 08:41:59 PM »

Talked to the MoCo today. This bike was built in February of 85. Clutch change was mid year 84. The clutch that belongs in this bike is a good clutch. I have a parts manual now. Moreland Choppers is rebuilding the 4-speed. Ken Moreland told me that excepting missing shafts and bad bushings it's in great shape. He will get me the clutch I need. I sold most of the stuff that wouldn't work to a buddy building a custom so I'm good.

Howie, sorry if I misquoted you. I knew what you meant.

B B

Hey B, just wanted to make sure you knew your options on the wet clutch. All you needed was a good 4-speed guy to look at it and he'd know what you got and what you need. I'm glad you got it worked out. I was kinda looking forward to seeing a late model 5-speed in it, not that I'd ever go that route. The stock gearing on that bike, with the heavy flywheels make that bike pull like a mother, especially if you did headwork and a cam. I always loved Sifton cams. I'm glad I have them in my 2 Evo's. I guess Andrews is about as close as you get now. Good luck with the build and let's see some pics! ;) Hoist! 8)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 09:39:58 PM »

Hey dj, where've you been? I knew you'd have the model details....The belt or chain clutches are the same, but the trans mainshfts are different.

I hope all's well with you. Nice to hear from you again! Take care.

Hoist! 8)

I’ve been digging myself out of a hole….literally; although not the hole pictured since I was the photographer.

For what it’s worth, and it isn’t much anymore, the late 84 and 85 Softail and chain driven Superglides (4 speeds) ran a different clutch shell from the other Big Twin models; including the belt driven 4 speeds from the same era. The difference is the location of the starter ring gear on the shell. It is my sense that this was done in lieu of producing a proprietary starter jackshaft for this limited run of chain driven 4sp machines. 

djkak

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 09:41:22 PM »

More BigFun

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »

Holy crap, you're not riding for months! Talk about a 3 season year (July, August and Winter)! No wonder you're into snowmobiles. I didn't think of the clutch shell. Thanks for bringing it up. I got a new one when I got the Rivera and did the tranny swap and chain drive conversion, all at the same time. ;) Hoist! 8)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 02:19:55 PM »

Holy crap, you're not riding for months! Talk about a 3 season year (July, August and Winter)! No wonder you're into snowmobiles. ......;) Hoist! 8)

The photos aren’t of my back yard; this was a road trip. A three month Mcy riding season would be a serious bummer!!

The first shot (BigFun) was near Jackson, Wyoming. The ridge top (BigFun2) was taken in western Montana near the Montana/Idaho border.

The attached BigFun3.jpg is the same ridge facing northeast instead of northwest.
Attached is a GoogleEarth image of the spot BigFun2 and 3 were taken. The spot was marked with my Garmin Rhino.

On another note, don’t you sometimes wonder how some threads get so far off topic? It seems to me that some folks just don’t have any discipline!! Well I have to go check the VIN on my snowmobile; I’ll catch you later, Hoist.

djkak

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »

More BigFun

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »

The photos aren’t of my back yard; this was a road trip. A three month Mcy riding season would be a serious bummer!!

The first shot (BigFun) was near Jackson, Wyoming. The ridge top (BigFun2) was taken in western Montana near the Montana/Idaho border.

The attached BigFun3.jpg is the same ridge facing northeast instead of northwest.
Attached is a GoogleEarth image of the spot BigFun2 and 3 were taken. The spot was marked with my Garmin Rhino.

On another note, don’t you sometimes wonder how some threads get so far off topic? It seems to me that some folks just don’t have any discipline!! Well I have to go check the VIN on my snowmobile; I’ll catch you later, Hoist.

djkak

And you even found a way to get it back on Topic again too! Great pics of a beautiful location dj! ;) Hoist! 8)

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 06:23:39 PM »

I’ve been digging myself out of a hole….literally; although not the hole pictured since I was the photographer.

For what it’s worth, and it isn’t much anymore, the late 84 and 85 Softail and chain driven Superglides (4 speeds) ran a different clutch shell from the other Big Twin models; including the belt driven 4 speeds from the same era. The difference is the location of the starter ring gear on the shell. It is my sense that this was done in lieu of producing a proprietary starter jackshaft for this limited run of chain driven 4sp machines. 

djkak

Hey dj, if that were a Cat, this wouln't have happened.  :nixweiss:

JD...fellow sled head. Tcat & T660 ;D

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 07:40:23 PM »

Not that it matters, you guys are welcome to wander all over the lot and chat about any topic you choose, but I spoke to dude named Pete in the MoCo's Antiques and restoration section and got everything I needed to know. The parts were ordered yesterday.

OK, back to adventures of Sgt Preston of the Yukon  :vrolijk_11:

B B

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 08:43:42 PM »

Not that it matters, you guys are welcome to wander all over the lot and chat about any topic you choose....got everything I needed to know. The parts were ordered yesterday.

B B

Hey Spiderman thanks, that’s generous of you; we won't let you down.

Hey dj, if that were a Cat, this wouln't have happened.  :nixweiss:

JD...fellow sled head. Tcat & T660 ;D

It is kind of a funny coincidence that the buried machine pictured in BigFun.jpg is a ’07 M800 Cat. You must have been referring to BigFun4; my 05 RT1000 Summit. Every now and then a riders judgment becomes compromised by a little shot if testosterone. Not a hell of a lot that can be done about it; it simply can’t be avoided; that’s why I carry a shovel.

I’m with you on the performance of the late model Cat; they are remarkable. Polaris has done a remarkable job turning things around for ’07 as well.

In order to keep this thread on topic, one of us will have to go back and check our VIN. Since I did it on the last go-around, it would be most appropriate if you ran your VIN for open recalls. It's not absolutely necessary to PM Spiderman with the results of your VIN inquiry; he says that he's good to go.

Good luck, JD…..BTW, are you a Sergeant?? :)

Weedhopper First Class djkak of the Frozen Tundra

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 08:54:25 PM »

Not that it matters, you guys are welcome to wander all over the lot and chat about any topic you choose, but I spoke to dude named Pete in the MoCo's Antiques and restoration section and got everything I needed to know. The parts were ordered yesterday.

B B

Hey B B, what'd you wind up doing for a clutch? Stock '85 diaphragm? Rear chain or belt? Just curious what they recommended for the rebuild. Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »

It's an 84 part # Howie, looks a lot like the one I had that wouldn't work which was basically 03 stuff and up. I bought the geared down Screamin Eagle primary gear and chain and shipped the whole works off with the hydraulics to a buddy in Maine I had been helping with a wishbone frame 110 Rev Tech 6-speed rigid. He didn't have any primary innards. Only thing I've got left from this project is the weird tranny. I need to get $400 for it and I'm good. I'll E-bay it.
      Belt final drive since we have the belt and rear pulley. I learned a lot talking to the MoCo as I stated and this bike is worth some solid money in OEM condition. That's where I'm headed with it.  I told Stoneman if he wants a lot of new technology, I have told him to post this bike for sale on E-Bay and buy what he wants vice where I was orginally headed.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 09:11:51 PM »

It's an 84 part # Howie, looks a lot like the one I had that wouldn't work which was basically 03 stuff and up. I bought the geared down Screamin Eagle primary gear and chain and shipped the whole works off with the hydraulics to a buddy in Maine I had been helping with a wishbone frame 110 Rev Tech 6-speed rigid. He didn't have any primary innards. Only thing I've got left from this project is the weird tranny. I need to get $400 for it and I'm good. I'll E-bay it.
      Belt final drive since we have the belt and rear pulley. I learned a lot talking to the MoCo as I stated and this bike is worth some solid money in OEM condition. That's where I'm headed with it.  I told Stoneman if he wants a lot of new technology, I have told him to post this bike for sale on E-Bay and buy what he wants vice where I was orginally headed.

B B

Good deal, should be nice when you're through. Make sure you get a trans main shaft for a belt drive. There are 2 mainshafts that year. The chain drive mainshaft is a little shorter and will not work with a belt. I know, since mine is now a chain drive. Got a deal on a gearset I couldn't refuse! Not enough threads on the shaft to get a belt pulley on it. Good luck B, wouldn't mind seeing your progress and finished product pics! Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »

Good deal, should be nice when you're through. Make sure you get a trans main shaft for a belt drive. There are 2 mainshafts that year. The chain drive mainshaft is a little shorter and will not work with a belt. I know, since mine is now a chain drive. Got a deal on a gearset I couldn't refuse! Not enough threads on the shaft to get a belt pulley on it. Good luck B, wouldn't mind seeing your progress and finished product pics! Hoist! 8)

Yeah, the MoCo guy gave me the heads up on the mainshaft and since we're replacing both shafts, it wasn't an issue.

I'll take some pics and e-mail em to you, I can manage that  LOL

B B

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 10:29:31 PM »

Hey Spiderman thanks, that’s generous of you; we won't let you down.

It is kind of a funny coincidence that the buried machine pictured in BigFun.jpg is a ’07 M800 Cat. You must have been referring to BigFun4; my 05 RT1000 Summit. Every now and then a riders judgment becomes compromised by a little shot if testosterone. Not a hell of a lot that can be done about it; it simply can’t be avoided; that’s why I carry a shovel.

I’m with you on the performance of the late model Cat; they are remarkable. Polaris has done a remarkable job turning things around for ’07 as well.

In order to keep this thread on topic, one of us will have to go back and check our VIN. Since I did it on the last go-around, it would be most appropriate if you ran your VIN for open recalls. It's not absolutely necessary to PM Spiderman with the results of your VIN inquiry; he says that he's good to go.

Good luck, JD…..BTW, are you a Sergeant?? :)
Weedhopper First Class djkak of the Frozen Tundra

Nope, but I have been a Jr. and Sr. Warden and been in the east.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 21 queries.