Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Impressions of 2017 FLHTKSE (Long post)  (Read 2277 times)

HDMIKETN64

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Special - Stage IV
First Impressions of 2017 FLHTKSE (Long post)
« on: July 10, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »

We have owned our CVO Limited for five days now and I have put nearly 600 miles on it. Here are some of my initial impressions:

1) Being used to a Road Glide Special with a top box, the CVO Limited is a tank. I believe it only weighs about 30 pounds more than a base Ultra Limited, which I am used to, but this bike is damn heavy. I'm getting used to it now, but it is very touchy during low speed maneuvers - and may simply be weight related. It may also be due to the fact that I am used to 14" apes on my Road Glide, the seat height is at least two inches higher and the bars on the CVO seem incredibly low - like my hands are on my knees. I have ordered 12" apes for the CVO, so I will be curious to see if this helps.
2) The 114" Screaming Eagle motor is a stump puller. I'm pretty certain this bike would blow the proverbial doors off my Stage IV equipped 2015 Road Glide. It doesn't have the neck jarring acceleration the Road Glide put out around 3,500 RPMs, but it pulls hard starting at 2,500 RPMs and does not let up to 4,500 RPM, which is the highest I've revved the new motor. That said, around 3,800, at about 5/8 throttle, the CVO did get noticeably stronger. I'm looking forward to having this motor broke in so I can really push the 114 SE M8!
3) The Boom! Audio system in this blows my Stage 2 Boom! audio, on the Road Glide, away. I never have to be over about 1/3 volume, even at 75+ MPH. I'm trying the SiriusXM radio, which I enjoy in my car, but I added weather and traffic, which I think I will really appreciate having.
4) The new suspension on this bike is amazing. While I have ridden mainly on the Road Glide over the past couple years, I have also ridden a 2016 Limited quite a bit. There is no comparison between these two Limiteds. The 2017 is so smooth all the tar-snakes, potholes and bridge expansion joints are hardly noticeable. And, most importantly, my sweetheart really loves the ride. It's way smoother for her - which most definitely benefits me. She is looking forward to using the heated seat, which will probably happen as soon as the temperature drops below 80. LOL
5) The new security system is really quite nice. I like the audible chirp when I walk away from the bike.
6) The new security fob on the CVO is as slick as WD-40. It is so nice to just click one button and lock/un-lock all of side bags and top box. I still need learn how to lock the forks when I walk away. I read the owner's manual last night but haven't tried it yet. I also have to get used to not turning the ignition switch to run - since the new touring bikes do not have one... LOL!
7) Harley-Davidson, like all other manufacturers, still have some quality issues. I had a rattle underneath the motor at all speeds, when I first picked up the bike. One of the heat shield clamps had not been tightened. I torqued it down myself - problem solved. On Saturday, I noticed the throttle was getting stiff. After some riding, it actually started sticking at the mid throttle point. WTF?, I think to myself. I pulled over, and there was absolutely no end play in the throttle grip. I adjusted the throttle grip Sunday morning, and even with proper end play, it still grabbed once the master cylinder and switch housing were properly torqued. I removed the grip and found the inner lip had been burred up by the switch housing. After sanding the burrs down, and reinstalling, it was still the same. Fortunately, I had purchased a new 2017 Touring bike service manual, and it explicitly said to torque the switch housing first, followed by the master cylinder mounting bolts. Following their instructions fixed the issue. I am not complaining, but you would have thought that Harley-Davidson's Q/A department, or the dealer, would have at least noticed the loose heat shield clamp - and maybe the throttle grip adjustment.
8 ) I like buying accessories for my new bikes, but this CVO does not need much. I guess I need to spend some time reviewing the accessory/Screaming Eagle catalog.  ;D
9) The factory windshield is way too low. I have already ordered a smoked Cee Bailey's windshield which will even look better than the clear windshield.
10) My M8 seems to whine at idle and during light acceleration. I doesn't sound like anything is wrong, it just whines. My other bikes may have exhibited this, but with the valve train noise the TCs make, I may not have been able to hear it. This motor is damn quiet on the top end. This may go away after the motor is broke in. While I am sentimental about my big v-twins shaking at idle, I'm not sure I will miss it with the M8. It is definitely smoother at idle.
11) The new transmission is definitely an improvement. Gear shifts are easy and very crisp. The normal clunk going from neutral to 1st gear is no longer there - which, at times, makes me think it is not fully in gear. I have read a lot of posts about M8 owners having difficulty finding neutral. Fortunately, this has not been a problem for me.
12) I have not decided what I'm doing with my exhaust system yet. I had CFR slip ons installed and they are fairly quiet. My friend installed the complete D & D system on his 2017 Street Glide 114 SE, and they are sounding better after they've broke in a bit. If the CFRs don't open up a bit more, I will definitely be doing something with the exhaust, as it is too quiet right now. Any suggestions on exhaust systems for the 114 SE CVO Limited would be appreciated.

Does anyone know for sure if Harley-Davidson will void the engine warranty if you put aftermarket head pipes/exhaust on the new M8? I have heard rumors that they will.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:12:52 PM by HDMIKETN64 »
Michael Noirot
Clarksville, TN

2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
2015 Road Glide Special - Stage IV

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: First Impressions of 2017 FLHTKSE (Long post)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »

I test road the very same color bike on Saturday and I thought it seemed to handle as my 15 limited does, I also notice the difference in Torque from the motor. The shifting seem to be pretty positive but this bike did have a snap type feel that came all the way up through the Hydraulics into the clutch lever. Not sure if I am interested in upgrading from a 15 to 17 may wait until the 18s come out to see what color changes are available but all in all I thought it was a pretty good ride. And also congratulations on your new bike it is a good color out in the sunshine for sure.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 01:50:26 PM »

First, I have to say that I love the color (I am biased of course)!  We have had ours for 3 weeks and have close to 1,300 miles on it already.  Wife can't believe how comfortable it is over our 2012.  The miles just melt away and fade into the background, no more of that "whine" that used to come from somewhere behind me on longer rides (don't tell her I said that).  Like many on here, the bike seems a little too quiet for my taste.  We just picked up a set of Cobra Neighbor Haters and they will be going on soon.  This being the first year with the new motor, I am not inclined to get too crazy with it until I feel better about the reliability, and slip-ons will keep the bike in warranty compliance.

Harley made a settlement with the EPA regarding tuners that are not EPA and/or C.A.R.B. compliant (an EPA compliant tuner is about as pointless as a 4 cylinder Mustang was in the 1980's).  If Harley does a service on a 2017 or newer bike that has been modified and/or tuned outside of compliance with those regulatory bodies, they are "supposed" to void the powertrain warranty.   So doing anything to the emissions system (tuning, replacing head pipes, removing the cat, etc.) will expose you to a possible voided warranty (ultimately it all depends on your relationship with the dealer, and whether you trust them or not).  If you don't care about the powertrain warranty, go with a Fullsac system (that's what I am going to do 101 weeks from now when the warranty is up). 

Finally, I also have a throttle sticking issue.  It will be interesting to see if that becomes a common thing with these end of the model year bikes!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:12:24 PM by NH Bulldog »
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

HDMIKETN64

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Special - Stage IV
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:04:58 PM »

Finally, I also have a throttle sticking issue.  It will be interesting to see if that becomes a common thing with these end of the model year bikes!

Thank you for your comments. Does your throttle ever seem to drag when you're twisting it? That was the first thing I noticed. The sticking came shortly after I noticed the dragging. It was not a big deal to adjust yourself, but I'm sure your dealer will take care of it for you quickly if you take it in.
Michael Noirot
Clarksville, TN

2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
2015 Road Glide Special - Stage IV

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »

So I didn't feel like waiting for the dealer.  I loosened the screws on the switch housing, then the screws on the brake lever housing.  Tightened the switch housing screws, and verified smooth throttle operation.  Then tightened down the brake lever housing screws.  Throttle is still smooth with no binding or sticking!  Amazing how such a simple thing can fix a seemingly major issue.  Thanks for sharing!
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

sail

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Black Garnet/Electric Red Pearl w/ Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »

Just picked up my 2017 FLHTKSE on Friday.  Better suspension, certainly more acceleration than my 2014 Limited and it seems to lean easier.  I'm not liking the clutch position being so far out but expect to get use to it, or it could break in a tad.  I agree the windscreen could be an inch taller.  I put the windsplitter on in hopes the little flip at the top would give me a little higher airflow, but I'll look into the windscreen referenced above.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.