Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dark Infotainment Screen Question  (Read 5591 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Dark Infotainment Screen Question
« on: July 14, 2017, 09:29:24 PM »

Infotainment Screen went to black.  Button pushed, nothing would turn it on.  Tried turning the bike off/on a few times - nothing but a black screen. Dealer reflash and it began working again.  No idea why this happened.  Screen has frozen before, this was different.  Local Service Mgr. is checking with Harley to see if there is a fix or what the cause is.

Had not updated unit lately.  Was done a couple of months ago - no issues then.  Dealer got me back on the road quick.  Wife & I had a Dairy Queen lunch (next door) and bike was ready to go after.  Bike turned on/off several times since - all working perfectly now.

Would like to figure out what is causing this.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Black screen, no sound, unit will not turn on. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Dark Infotainment Screen Question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:13:36 PM »

My 15 limited radio would turn on and I would not be able to use any controls, than it did the blank screan no sound a couple times. I was always able to shut down wait 15 seconds and re start the bike and it worked.
Went to the dealer and they did the update. They said some of the update was for these problems.
We will see if it works or not.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »

Infotainment Screen went to black.

You poor bastard.  I'm sorry!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 02:29:12 AM »

You poor bastard.  I'm sorry!

Thanks.  The horn still worked.  If you see the pool boy, let him know, could be a ph problem.   :nixweiss:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 02:34:24 AM »

My 15 limited radio would turn on and I would not be able to use any controls, than it did the blank screan no sound a couple times. I was always able to shut down wait 15 seconds and re start the bike and it worked.
Went to the dealer and they did the update. They said some of the update was for these problems.
We will see if it works or not.

Has happened before a couple of times, and would work after 15 to 30 seconds or so - wait, turn bike off, then restart.  Today - nothing.  My guess is the I-taint behaves like a computer.  Sometimes it just needs to be reset, and sometimes that needs to be a hard reset. Utilizing the power button as a reset button might have been a good idea.  So far is the only piece of equipment on this bike that is unreliable.  Have had similar experiences on cars with GPS screen radios, to be fair. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »

Has happened before a couple of times, and would work after 15 to 30 seconds or so - wait, turn bike off, then restart.  Today - nothing.  My guess is the I-taint behaves like a computer.  Sometimes it just needs to be reset, and sometimes that needs to be a hard reset. Utilizing the power button as a reset button might have been a good idea.  So far is the only piece of equipment on this bike that is unreliable.  Have had similar experiences on cars with GPS screen radios, to be fair.

In the old days a "hard reset" entailed a whack with a hand or mallet.  Now they went and took all the fun and violence out of fixin' stuff.

Btw, real Harley riders don't need no stinkin' info-tainment.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »

In the old days a "hard reset" entailed a whack with a hand or mallet.  Now they went and took all the fun and violence out of fixin' stuff.

Btw, real Harley riders don't need no stinkin' info-tainment.

Jerry ;)

When it works, it's great. Favorite tunes & sometimes a map to tell ya where ya are is where ya are.  When it doesn't work it's just a useless hole in the dashboard filled with a boat anchor wannabe and your old method of fixing it comes to mind.   :o

Guess another way of looking at it from your comment is when it doesn't work, all those thousands of 2014 and later fairing I-taint bikes have real Harley riders.   ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »

Thanks.  The horn still worked.  If you see the pool boy, let him know, could be a ph problem.   :nixweiss:

Definitely.  Low PH causes Illuminile Dysfunction.  Science.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »

Definitely.  Low PH causes Illuminile Dysfunction.  Science.

Science - it's settled! Maybe it needs some See-Al-Its? 

Yelling at it and calling it a $%^&* #**%$# helped a little.  Screen didn't work from that, but it made me feel better.   :cherry:

strych9

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »

Resurrecting this thread, as my 2017 RGS just did this for the first time this morning. I was backing out of the garage and the screen went blank during boot-up. Turned the ignition off, then on. No-go. Rode to work, ignition off, unplugged iPod. Key on, booted to bar and shield screen, but no further. Ignition off and on, now works fine. Must be a software glitch.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »

What I have found is this happens with a low battery. Yes, low battery. Even with a new bike it seems these batteries will go down if even only sitting for 2 or 3 weeks if not on a battery tender. Once you drive for a while (not immediately) the battery will get back up to where the infotainment will come back on *on a restart of the bike*. Of course I can't attest to everyone else's bike but this is exactly what happens to mine.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 03:22:45 PM »

What I have found is this happens with a low battery. Yes, low battery. Even with a new bike it seems these batteries will go down if even only sitting for 2 or 3 weeks if not on a battery tender. Once you drive for a while (not immediately) the battery will get back up to where the infotainment will come back on *on a restart of the bike*. Of course I can't attest to everyone else's bike but this is exactly what happens to mine.

There are a lot of electronics on this bike, and courtesy lights stay on, etc after turned off.  Have ALWAYS had the bike on a battery tender when sitting for more than a day, from Day 1.  Good to know on the low battery issue, but was not the case with my issue here.  Has not happened since. 

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »

This happened to me once. :nervous:

But the freaky thing is that I kept looking at it!!!!

flhman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »

This happened to me once. :nervous:

But the freaky thing is that I kept looking at it!!!!
Mine just did it this morning on the way to work, 15 CVO Roadglide, was pressing all the buttons, then the cb came up , then nothing. After work, fire it up, and all is good, what the hell !! And yes I kept staring at mine also ! flhman

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:13:46 PM »

Mine has been trouble free since the update was installed put on a little over a thousand miles since that day not a problem with the infotainment system at all.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.