Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Adding Faring ACC Switch  (Read 9846 times)

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

Adding Faring ACC Switch
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »

Guys, I have a 15 CVO Limited with just the passing lamp switch on the left side of the panel. I need to add at least 1 more switch there. My local HD parts dept is somewhat unsure of whats needed so I thought I would ask the pro's. They say I need part #71400106 but I don't know if they are correct. Some posts I've read makes me think I only need the switches cause the harness is already there. Can someone clear this up for me please?

Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Adding Faring ACC Switch
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »

This is the kit Harley sells to add two more switches to the dash to control accessories.  It comes with the electrical connection harness, a relay, and the switches.  Go to the "more information" tab on that page for a link to the installation instructions.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/auxiliary-power-switch-kit---fairing-mount-pa-11-71400106--1

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:02:24 PM »

x2

You need the 71400106 kit. 

Hopefully I can explain this correctly.  The 71400106 kit comes with two new push button switches and a wiring harness that plugs into the auxiliary connector under the left side panel and you run it up under the seat to make your accessory connections there.  The wiring is already in place from the dash panel switch bank to the left side panel auxiliary connector.  The 71400105 kit includes the switch bank (which you already have).

Basically you remove the dash panel, disconnect the plug, remove the left side switch bank attached to the dash panel, pry the switch bank apart at the tabs, remove the existing blank(s) depending on what you are going to add for an accessory (middle position is for under 2 amps and sends power to the bare wire ends of the new wiring harness, right position is for over 2 amps and uses the relay and the Deustch plug on the new wiring harness).  Again, the new wiring harness is only to connect to the auxiliary connector behind the lower left side panel, and you run that new harness up under the seat.  Once you pop the new switches into the switch bank, snap the assembly back together and reassemble everything and you are good to go. 

Personally, I would install both new switches while it is apart, and leave the unused connection under the seat for a later accessory.  For anyone interested, this kit is NOT compatible with the 2017 models.       
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:07:26 PM by NH Bulldog »
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »

Thanks, I feel better hearing what you guys said.

I dont think I will have trouble with any of that except I cant find anything that tells how to remove the dash panel. Can you help there?

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »

Best bet for that is the service manual.  I believe that my 2017 has a different set-up with the center knob (mine is just a fork lock), it may or may not impact dash panel removal.  On mine, I just took out 1 screw on each side of the dash panel on the fork down-tubes, and then turned the handlebars, reached in the gap and unplugged the harness on each side, and then gave the dash panel a twist here and a pull there and slid it out.
Red Knights MAL

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »

Thanks. I didn't see any screws but maybe my bifocals didn't adjust fast enuf.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »

See attached drawing (click to enlarge).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 05:17:54 PM »

x2

You need the 71400106 kit. 

Hopefully I can explain this correctly.  The 71400106 kit comes with two new push button switches and a wiring harness that plugs into the auxiliary connector under the left side panel and you run it up under the seat to make your accessory connections there.  The wiring is already in place from the dash panel switch bank to the left side panel auxiliary connector.  The 71400105 kit includes the switch bank (which you already have).

Basically you remove the dash panel, disconnect the plug, remove the left side switch bank attached to the dash panel, pry the switch bank apart at the tabs, remove the existing blank(s) depending on what you are going to add for an accessory (middle position is for under 2 amps and sends power to the bare wire ends of the new wiring harness, right position is for over 2 amps and uses the relay and the Deustch plug on the new wiring harness).  Again, the new wiring harness is only to connect to the auxiliary connector behind the lower left side panel, and you run that new harness up under the seat.  Once you pop the new switches into the switch bank, snap the assembly back together and reassemble everything and you are good to go. 

Personally, I would install both new switches while it is apart, and leave the unused connection under the seat for a later accessory.  For anyone interested, this kit is NOT compatible with the 2017 models.     
Do you know what changed on the 2017s that make this kit not compatible.   :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:33:23 PM »

Do you know what changed on the 2017s that make this kit not compatible.   :nixweiss:

Yes, from personal experience!  I thought; how different can it be right?  So I bought the kit.  I installed the two new switches in the dash panel to replace the blanks there.  Put it back together.  Popped the side panel off to plug the new harness in, thinking this is so cool.  Then I hit a wall.....the accessory plug on the 2017 is different!  They don't even come close to matching.  Not only that, but the accessory plug is only fed by the middle switch (the one for under 2 amps).  I have no idea where the other swich terminates (sort of like that light switch we all have in our house that doesn't do anything).  The pre-2017 models have an accessory plug that is connected to both the middle and right dash panel switches, so the harness works perfect.  So I went online and found a plug that would mate with the one on the bike, cannibalized the wiring harness that came with the kit and made my own harness with the relay to power my LED light kit, all while keeping it plug and play.  Maybe I should mass produce my own kit....cost me about $8 and I bet I can mark it up like HD and charge at least $89.95
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:37:48 PM by NH Bulldog »
Red Knights MAL

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:50:11 AM »

Thanks Bulldog and GRC !!!!

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 03:42:42 PM »

The install went easy with the info from you guys! Thanks a lot!!

TriDan

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 05:17:58 AM »

See attached drawing (click to enlarge).

Jerry

Am I seeing that right?  There are only two screws to take off to add the "Auxiliary Power Switch Kit - Fairing Mount" to a 2014 CVO Limited?  Have to take off the fork lock knob as well but even then you don't have to take off the front cowling or inside fairing?

DanH

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »

2 screws and it slides off below the fork lock. Just takes a little flexing

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »

So what part number would I use for a 2017 CVO Street Glide? Thanks.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »

So what part number would I use for a 2017 CVO Street Glide? Thanks.
Looks like this one will work>   :2vrolijk_21:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/auxiliary-power-switch-kit---fairing-mount-pa-05-71400129--1

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.