Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Yikes..... Wobble  (Read 3177 times)

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
Yikes..... Wobble
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:37:54 AM »

This scared the chit out of me. We were all loaded up and leaving red lodge and going about 20mpg when I took my hands off the bars to zip up my sleeve cuffs. About the time I was done the front handle bars started to shake. I then tried it at different speeds and after six seconds it would start to wobble. I have heard of the go speed wobble but not this. The bike is fine whole I hold on. I often ride with no hands just to give them a rest but now I am puzzled. I am going to try it with  no luggage and see.

2014 Mount Rushmore Limited

This happen to anyone else?

Bob
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:55:44 PM by bubtrauma »
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Yikes..... Wobble
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:50:21 AM »

::)
Being "all loaded up" as you say..........makes it sound as if you may have a tour model.  I can say and (likely many others) that a tour model loaded up with luggage can often have a low speed wobble.  Maybe you have (cruise control) and if so, you could just take one hand off the bars at a time to rest them.

By the way,  you should be getting closer to 40mpg,  only 20mpg suggests a tuning problem. ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »

Hey Bob, help everyone out and add the year and model to your profile so we will always know the year and model you're talking about.  Many issues have different answers depending on the model and year.

I'd suggest having the tire and wheel lateral runout checked as well as the balance.  If OK, how about the steering head bearing preload and lubrication?  I seem to remember you mentioning a 2014 in the past, if that's what you're talking about have you had the front end serviced?  Starting in 2014 the Touring models call for steering head service at 25k mile intervals.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »

Thanx
I don't have 20k yet but what does the steering service entail. My wobble happens at any speed. I am careful now about riding with hands off and I will try with not being loaded up.

Thanx for the comments

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »

my road glide is a 2013, so the procedure is a bit different.

I would get a wobble on decal around the 40 mph mark.  after I noticed this, I jacked the bike up, levelled it front to rear and did the fallaway check.  I got 3 swings out of it.  while this is 'in spec' for a touring bike, hd had changed the spec for the roadglide specifically.  I tightened up the front end so I would get only 1 swing.  no more wobble, at any speed (though admittedly I haven't tried it at or above 100, not going to either  :huepfenlol2:)

on the rushmore bikes, a full service on the front end entails a complete tear down (that's at the 25k mile mark).  if you aren't there, you could just tighten up the preload and see how that fares.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:01:17 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 07:49:58 PM »

Thanx
I don't have 20k yet but what does the steering service entail. My wobble happens at any speed. I am careful now about riding with hands off and I will try with not being loaded up.

Thanx for the comments

You'll notice that the 2014 and later bikes no longer have a grease zerk for the steering head bearings.  The service now is similar to the Dyna models, and requires removing the entire front end so you can remove, clean, inspect, and repack the bearings.  Then after reinstalling the rest of the parts they have an updated method to check the bearing preload (no longer use the fall-away method).

You can have the swing back (new method) performed now without doing the full service until it's called for.  I'd have it done by someone who actually knows what they're doing and if the result shows the adjustment on the loose side of the spec, have them adjust the bearing preload to the tighter side of the spec.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »

Swing Back - Pg 1

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:52:30 PM »

Swing Back - Pg 2

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »

Swing Back - Specs

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »

Start with keeping it simple by checking the air pressure in that front tire.
I had a very similar condition on a road trip once and found that my front tire was down around 20 pounds filled it up to the 36 to 40 area and no problems after that.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »

Ok I will start with air pressure. Crap the other proceeder must cost a bundle for the dealer to do.

Bob

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 09:43:37 PM »

Ok I will start with air pressure. Crap the other proceeder must cost a bundle for the dealer to do.

Bob

No it will cost you a bundle! ;D
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:24:48 AM »

Lol yuh got me on that one serdvd.. ...

n8schmitz

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:30 AM »

Also check the rear shocks. You might be set too light if you're loaded down.  It happened at a higher speed for me, but also when I was loaded down on a trip.  After a bunch of reading here, I had the front swing:return checked etc.  no issues found. Then I read to tighten up the rear shocks.  That solved the issue.  I tightened them up and made them even more stiff when running with two passengers and all gear.  It's a little tougher ride, obviously, but no wobble anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »

On the 2012 we found that there was a direct issue related to air pressures and ride stability.  We had to find the sweet spot between front tire pressure, rear tire pressure and rear shock air pressure, all combined with the load we were carrying, and where the weight was on the bike (plus our combined weight).  Once we had it dialed in by trial and error, the bike handled great and was very stable. 

When you say "loaded up" make sure you are within the stated capacities of the bike...too much weight on the back (in the tourpak, on the luggage rack, in the saddle bags, plus rear seat passenger, etc.) can shift the balance of the bike to the rear and lighten the front end to the point where there is insufficient down-force to maintain good control.  Shifting the heaviest loads to the lowest points on the bike, and setting rear tire and shocks for the upper max range of weight is about all you can do short of lightening the load.     
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »

MH, those are good comments. We were definitely heavy and I am going to try it empty and what happens. I think you are right.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:58:02 AM by bubtrauma »

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '15 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »

I also experience woobles with my SGSE 2015, and it is frightening.

The bike is properly maintained, fully equiped with front and rear öhlins shocks/springs and with perfectly balanced and inflated new metzeler tires... and some woobles nevertheless occure in certain situations.

It might usually occure in long curves at different speed from as low as 60 mph, most generally from 75 mph, depending the quality of the road asphalt or bumps. But it also occurs in straight line at higher speed and above 100 mph it's, let's say unpredictive.

The phenomenon is amplified when loaded with a mid size HD luggage installed in the passenger seat with a sissy.

After having experienced woobles at different speed, I have almost lost confidence in this motorcycle above 70 mph despite the fact that it can easily reach 125 mph.

Even with $$$ invested in performance suspension the scoot is subject to woobles, so l guess the motorcycle conception is flawed by design. I never experienced that with my Springer, even at high speed. This is a real issue and I am clueless on how it can be solved. That sucks and it is dangerous, specially here in Europe where highway speed is usually 75-80 mph, even not limited on some part in Germany.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »

:-\

Lolo,  maybe you have never seen this write-up regarding the H.D. wobble, but this guy breaks it down somewhat to give you a perspective as to why it happens..........as he sees it.

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '15 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »

Thank you for the very interesting document. So now the 600$ question is does a kind of swing arm and front stabilizer plate will solve the issue? Hard to get a definitive answer on this as I have read different posts on such systems which relate zero to magic effects.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.