Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Joined the lifter crowd (maybe)  (Read 10473 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Joined the lifter crowd (maybe)
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »

Sorry to hear about the motor.   If they decide to replace the motor maybe the dealer will let you take the credit and put it towards a 120 ST or S&S Low Compression 124.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »

Here is an update. Finally got the approval today for a new long block motor.

It's been a month now that the bike has been down. I am not sure if the problem was with the Cornerstone ESP or just the adjuster.

First the dealer took the cams out and was told to go no farther till the adjuster comes to see it. They ask the dealer to do a detailed estimateto replace everything compared to a new motor. Then they say replace just the cams and lifters and they won't pay to open up the rest of the engine. If I wanted to open it up, I would be responsible for the cost of disassembly and reassembly if nothing was found to be wrong. I told the service manager to go ahead and check it. (I knew that there would be damage)

After opening up the other side, metal shavings were everywhere.  The service manager sent pictures to the adjuster as directed. Never heard back. The adjuster said he never realized the pics were sent. He came to see it again, and agreed the motor should be replaced but needed higher approval. Which finally came today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

J.D.

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »

Only 8,000 miles, that is truly pathetic.

Glad to hear though that you'll get a fresh engine and not just a repair.

Eddie Haskell

• WI

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE Ruby Red & Palladium Silver
Joined the lifter crowd (maybe)
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »

So some of you have gone in and replaced bearings, cams, push rods and the dreaded HD lifters. What happens if a catastrophic failure happens after that has been done?
 I have a 2016 110 CI engine and I have done those changes; bearings, cams, adjustable push rods and installed Woods lifters. I have the HD extended warranty and if something does happen what does the MoCo say? I would think they wouldn't cover anything once these things have been installed but the cam chest area seems to be a weak link in these twin cam engines so do they still cover the damage?

Sent from my iPhone using a keyboard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:08:05 PM by Eddie Haskell »
Don't Initiate-Retaliate!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »

So some of you have gone in and replaced bearings, cams, push rods and the dreaded HD lifters. What happens if a catastrophic failure happens after that has been done?
 I have a 2016 110 CI engine and I have done those changes; bearings, cams, adjustable push rods and installed Woods lifters. I have the HD extended warranty and if something does happen what does the MoCo say? I would think they wouldn't cover anything once these things have been installed but the cam chest area seems to be a weak link in these twin cam engines so do they still cover the damage?

Sent from my iPhone using a keyboard

If you've installed other than stock parts they did not approve you have bought any subsequent repair.  The choices are do what you can to (hopefully) avoid a catastrophic failure but have those and any subsequent costs be on your dime or ride it as God (Harley) intended and let it fail of natural causes knowing you are more ESP friendly this way.

Eddie Haskell

• WI

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE Ruby Red & Palladium Silver
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »

It has 14000 miles on it now and it runs pretty good, I'm sure if it came down to it, an S&S engine would run stronger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't Initiate-Retaliate!

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »

Would it be good practice to have the lifters checked at 10K and have a stock set on hand to replace while in there (good or bad stock lifters)?

Or just wait for the failure, assuming you/I have the extended warranty.

Cheers!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »

Would it be good practice to have the lifters checked at 10K and have a stock set on hand to replace while in there (good or bad stock lifters)?

Or just wait for the failure, assuming you/I have the extended warranty.

Cheers!

I'm not sure you can reliably check a lifter and predict failure unless it's the roller itself, or the needle bearings.  If you are that close (have the old lifters in your hand) just install the new ones.

If you want to maintain warranty, just have the dealer install SE lifters.  Can't cost THAT much.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 05:41:09 PM »

Went for what was supposed to be a nice 200 mile ride. The bike (15 CVO Limited), decided it didn't want to finish. Started making a loud chirping noise, no noticeable loss in power.

Went straight to the nearest Harley dealer. The noise evolved into a more deeper sound, almost clacking. Seemed to be running rougher also.

Got there 10 minutes before they closed. The professional opinion was " that don't sound good".

Worst part, having to call the wife to come rescue me.

Anyone care to guess what they will find?

Roller(S) locked up , cams junk, cuttings all through the oiling system. New Lifters (preferably S&S premium) , Oil pump, cam plate  Cams, Oil Pan, serious flush. May be time for a nice cam upgrade, if it's warranty work, and you have to stay with HD stufff, to keep the warranty..wink..then the SE 585 cam works well, if not, 24D, TMAN 600 and some others . 

. Had the same thing happen to my '11. Chirping sound that got worse, you know the rest of the story. 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »

Roller(S) locked up , cams junk, cuttings all through the oiling system. New Lifters (preferably S&S premium) , Oil pump, cam plate  Cams, Oil Pan, serious flush. May be time for a nice cam upgrade, if it's warranty work, and you have to stay with HD stufff, to keep the warranty..wink..then the SE 585 cam works well, if not, 24D, TMAN 600 and some others . 

. Had the same thing happen to my '11. Chirping sound that got worse, you know the rest of the story.
New motor just got delivered today. Going to keep it stock since I have the ESP and may need another replacement motor in the future. I love the bike, but don't have too much faith on the longevity of the motor. Since they decided to replace the entire motor rather then rebuild, going to another cam was out.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »

Finally got the bike back late today. The new motor is running good.

Was only able to get a out sixty miles on it tonight.  Sounded good, oil pressure good, and just felt good to rode it again after almost 2 months.

Hopefully the weather stays nice for a while so I can get some miles on.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »

New Update.

The bike is back in the shop after I started hearing a lot of noise coming for the front rocker area when starting the engine cold. The noise would disappear after it would warm up.

Just got a call and they said the top end is fine and seems like the noise is because of the lifters.

I guess the new engine was not so good after 650 miles.

They are going to put in S&S premium lifters at my request.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2017, 02:28:44 PM »

You might find that a tapping, or clicking sound from the rocker box cover area is an elusive demon.  I have been chasing it on my 12 CVO since I got the used bike in 2014 with 4 k miles on it. I have read countless posts from HD (and Indian) owners about the valve train noise.  Some bikes are relatively quiet throughout the rpm range.
Many folks blame the rocker shafts moving in their supports, and Rocker Lockers are the cure for some of these.  Other folks shim the rocker shaft ends, or drill the shafts and install locking screws.  Still others pay exorbitant amounts for lifters.
There is some indication that the steepness of the ramps on the cams are the culprit and this might be true. Or the angle of the pushrods, or the diameter of the top of the pushrod tubes, or the adjustable pushrod length if so equipped. It could even be the noise the valve itself makes as it closes sharply against it's seat.
Much like who killed Kennedy, we will never know for sure.  That clicking will drive you crazy if you let it.

I have found the perfect cure for it in my bike:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Infinim-HBS-900-Wireless-Headset/dp/B00NW2JBYO
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »

You might find that a tapping, or clicking sound from the rocker box cover area is an elusive demon.  I have been chasing it on my 12 CVO since I got the used bike in 2014 with 4 k miles on it. I have read countless posts from HD (and Indian) owners about the valve train noise.  Some bikes are relatively quiet throughout the rpm range.
Many folks blame the rocker shafts moving in their supports, and Rocker Lockers are the cure for some of these.  Other folks shim the rocker shaft ends, or drill the shafts and install locking screws.  Still others pay exorbitant amounts for lifters.
There is some indication that the steepness of the ramps on the cams are the culprit and this might be true. Or the angle of the pushrods, or the diameter of the top of the pushrod tubes, or the adjustable pushrod length if so equipped. It could even be the noise the valve itself makes as it closes sharply against it's seat.
Much like who killed Kennedy, we will never know for sure.  That clicking will drive you crazy if you let it.

I have found the perfect cure for it in my bike:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Infinim-HBS-900-Wireless-Headset/dp/B00NW2JBYO
I wish that the noise was the normal load top end racket. This noise was just way too loud. I don't think the headphones would have helped.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 02:36:44 PM by 4fun »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2017, 09:04:32 AM »

This has got to be frustrating!  Months without being able to ride sucks. Maybe the dealer will work with you to get a new 18 model.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.