Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Right rear shock leaking...rebuild or does someone have one?  (Read 2536 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Right rear shock leaking...rebuild or does someone have one?
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »

Hey all,

I went out to look the bike over today and there was a puddle under the rear tire, on the right side of the bike (opposite side as the drive belt).  There was about a quarter cup of clear oil on the floor.  I haven't driven the bike for a while.

I first checked the rear brake system even tho the oil wasn't pink.  There is no loss of compression, and the level is perfect in the master cylinder.  The leaking is very localized to the right hub, and it appears the oil dripped from the bottom of the shock to the rear axle then down onto the brake rotor and then onto the rear tire.  This was a huge tell that I wasn't leaking tranny or engine oil, even though I checked that thoroughly as well.
I checked the air pressure in the rear shock system.  It's at 20 pounds, but I'm assuming that's separate from the oil damping section so that tells me nothing.
I've cleaned everything up with lacquer thinner and have a witness cloth wrapped on the bottom of the shock, but am also assuming most of the oil is gone by now.  I'll go out tonight and check for more oil on the cloth.

Questions:
1)  Is the bike unsafe to ride, or just mostly only in turns? 
2)  How difficult is a rebuild and does it require any special tools?  If it's something a shade-tree mechanic can do with basic tools, who would you recommend I buy the kit from?
3)  OR, Does anyone out there have a rear right shock for a 2015 Road Glide Ultra that you took off in favor of aftermarket shocks, and would you be willing to sell it?

Please advise soonest by PM or below, as we plan to leave for Maggie Valley on 9/10!!!

Thanks in advance!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

J.D.

Re: Right rear shock leaking...rebuild or does someone have one?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »

There's very little oil in the shock.  Once gone you can still safely ride as the spring is still the same to support the weight but dampening will be significantly diminished.  Might hold air pressure, might not.  If one blew the other might not be far behind.  These can be serviced by Honda but you are likely much better off to buy a good takeoff set (eBay).

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »

Is it a stock air shock, 13"? If it is I have two sets that I would part with.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »

Is it a stock air shock, 13"? If it is I have two sets that I would part with.

Yes, these are stock shocks!
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »

Did you recently have your bike in the shop? I ask, because while on a road trip Greg Khougaz had his bike in the shop for repair. Later he discovered that the unscrupulous shop swapped out his good one, for a leaking one off another bike.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »

Yes, these are stock shocks!

Dang it Harry.  If you had posted this a week ago I would have the take off set off my '15 I would give you.  I guess I could still find 'em if they haven't emptied the dumpster but the dumpster diving charge may not be cost effective for you.... ;D

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »

Did you recently have your bike in the shop? I ask, because while on a road trip Greg Khougaz had his bike in the shop for repair. Later he discovered that the unscrupulous shop swapped out his good one, for a leaking one off another bike.

I'll never be able to prove it, but yes, it was in the shop briefly back in June.
Harry

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »

Dang it Harry.  If you had posted this a week ago I would have the take off set off my '15 I would give you.  I guess I could still find 'em if they haven't emptied the dumpster but the dumpster diving charge may not be cost effective for you.... ;D

My luck, Howard.  Thanks for teasing me, though!   :P     

If, if, if only...
Harry

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

I'll never be able to prove it, but yes, it was in the shop briefly back in June.

Hopefully not the same shop Greg used.... ::)

Why not go ahead and use this opportunity to upgrade to the Premium HD shocks, Harry?  I've gone with the 12" premium and love 'em.  The ride is much better planted in all aspects and it's a simple swap getting away from the, in my opinion, really bad air shocks.  They were poor shocks in 1989 and on every HD I've had with them since.

By the way, you asked about rebuilding them.  Unless something has changed, they either can't be (no shop I have ever asked would touch them) or they aren't worth the cost of rebuilding.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:07:28 PM by Haird »

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »

Why not go ahead and use this opportunity to upgrade to the Premium HD shocks, Harry?  I've gone with the 12" premium and love 'em.  The ride is much better planted in all aspects and it's a simple swap getting away from the, in my opinion, really bad air shocks.  They were poor shocks in 1989 and on every HD I've had with them since.

By the way, you asked about rebuilding them.  Unless something has changed, they either can't be (no shop I have ever asked would touch them) or they aren't worth the cost of rebuilding.

I'll look into the premium HD's, but the money hit aint welcome right now before a big trip, if you know what I mean!
I understand they can be rebuilt, but the parts are Showa, and sold by Honda?  I also understand HD says they can't be rebuilt because they would rather have you buy new ones from them, and didn't want to stock the non-HD parts.  I don't know that for a fact, just read it today.
Harry

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »

Are these what you're talking about Howard?
Harry

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »

Are these what you're talking about Howard?

Yes sir. 

However, you can find them online and sometimes here on the site for much less than that.  I purchased from a member here for $300 shipped.  They were used but not much from the looks of the shocks when I received them and worked great.  I did go with the 12" shocks giving me another inch lower.  I could have gone with the 13" premiums (stock height on our bikes) and still been fine short-leg wise.  That extra inch gave me the clearance for wearing shoes with less heal if I choose and still be flat footed.  I can't tell any difference or bad results in handling/clearance with the 12" shocks either.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »

Yes sir. 

However, you can find them online and sometimes here on the site for much less than that.  I purchased from a member here for $300 shipped.  They were used but not much from the looks of the shocks when I received them and worked great.  I did go with the 12" shocks giving me another inch lower.  I could have gone with the 13" premiums (stock height on our bikes) and still been fine short-leg wise.  That extra inch gave me the clearance for wearing shoes with less heal if I choose and still be flat footed.  I can't tell any difference or bad results in handling/clearance with the 12" shocks either.

Thanks, Howard.  I've found them new for as low as $453 delivered from Boardtracker HD, or $466 from New Castle HD.  Gotta find out which one would get them here quicker.
Harry

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 04:24:15 PM »

Pm'ed you Harry.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »

Problem's been solved folks.  My thanks to all who wrote me on this thread!

Cheers!
Harry

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.