Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How To Identify Old/New Crank Splines  (Read 1021 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
How To Identify Old/New Crank Splines
« on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »

I don't know if this make any difference, but my questions are in respect to the "B" Softail motor, not the touring "A" motor.

I know that from the get go on Twin Cams, they had a course primary side crank spline with external threads on the end.

Then "around" 2006, they came out with the new full fine splined drive end with internal threads.  At this time they also changed from the traditional 4-bolt primary bolt pattern on the left side case to the new 6-bolt pattern.

All '07 and newer will have the new all spline crank and all '05 and older will have the short course spline with external threads on the end.

My dilemma is this, on eBay I've found "some" '06 motors with the old style spline and 4-bolt pattern, which what I'm looking for, and then other '06s with the new style.

When the motors are shown as motor only, it's a no brainer as they always show pictures of the drive side.  But when I may be able to buy a complete motor/trans still assembled and it's an '06, how do I know which crank it may have?  Do Heritages have a different crank from a Deuce of the same year?

Is there a chart or something that I can refer to on just the '06 "B" motors and what crank they may have?

For my purpose I need to have the old style 4-bolt mounting.  S&S uses this style on their Wedge motors and I'm going to be using a bell housing from an S&S Wedge motor in my reverse trike project this coming winter.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend.  Ride safe my friends...  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:30:13 AM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.