Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Allowing to have GPS input while riding  (Read 2769 times)

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
Allowing to have GPS input while riding
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »

Has anybody figured out a way to trick the Harley system to allow some of the functions it locks out while riding? I've seen the lockpick (https://www.coastaletech.com/) for American cars but nothing for the Harley.

Thanks.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
Re: Allowing to have GPS input while riding
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »

What year/model and software/map version?  What functions are locked out?
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »

I have a 2017 CVO Street Glide running current software from August. I would like to receive text and enter destinations when moving but system locks me out until I stop.

Thanks

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »

my '15 does the same thing

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »

It's a common safety feature that's used by many/most manufacturers these days, for a very good reason.  I don't know about anyone else, but I get very tired of dodging fools who drive down the road playing with their phones or vehicle touch screens.

See if your phone has the option to read those text messages to you so you don't have to look at them while moving.  Voice commands are also available on other navigation systems, perhaps you need to use a better system than the one Harley provided.

If you are determined to bypass the safety features, I'd suggest you contact those same folks who sell hacks for the auto systems.  They seem to already have the expertise, perhaps they would like to add Harley's system to their lineup.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »

I dodged someone this morning.  Looked to be tapping on an in dash display intently paying attention to something inside rather than outside.  Gal slowly and methodically wandered from the middle line to and through the outside lane (where I was).  Had to slow to almost nothing.  She noticed the gravitational constant of the universe had shifted and the world moved beneath her (because it couldn't have been her fault) about a foot shy of climbing the curb.  I so wish people would just f*^%g drive.

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

Nothing is locked out if you use voice commands.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »

I have a 2017 CVO Street Glide running current software from August. I would like to receive text and enter destinations when moving but system locks me out until I stop.

Thanks
Only way you can enter a destination while the vehicle is moving is using voice commands. I can read texts on my 17 CVO Street Glide.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 10:42:12 PM »

Use voice commands.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 08:30:13 AM »

My 15, and my 17 you can use voice commands while riding.  That can be difficult sometimes to get it to recognize what you are saying.  You must say it in the format the nav unit wants.

It will also read texts back to you that are received while riding.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »

My 15, and my 17 you can use voice commands while riding.  That can be difficult sometimes to get it to recognize what you are saying.  You must say it in the format the nav unit wants.

It will also read texts back to you that are received while riding.

....but why would you want it too....  :nixweiss:  ;D

Ain't the entire point of ridin' to get away from all the other....as JC would put it....justsayinzall.... ;)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

....but why would you want it too....  :nixweiss:  ;D

Ain't the entire point of ridin' to get away from all the other....as JC would put it....justsayinzall.... ;)

Exactly! Never even paired my phone with the radio on the bike.....

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »

The real problem I have with the Boom Box Is that I can ride down the road and look up Harley shops or POI  and have to scroll thru 300 of them 5 at a time. But I can not enter an address.
 So does Harley think they will not get sued when someone crashes scrolling thru 300 POI But will get sued if they crash inputting an address. Maybe one of you real smart Guys or Gals can explain there logic to me. I look at it like this I paid for GPS on the bike that I would like to use when and if I need it not Half of a GPS. I don't need a Dam Baby sitter telling me when and how to use the GPS. Individual responsibility Individual responsibility Individual responsibility Individual responsibility.
 BITCH MODE OFF
 I have gone so far as to HACK the file that controls the 3MPH speed lock out But not smart enough to get the file to work after changes. I am not much of a software guy all we need is a software GURU.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 12:38:54 PM »

The simple fact is that tests have been run on drivers who were talking on phone, texting on phone, or otherwise distracted and they have the reaction times of a drunk driver. Do you really want to be another "impaired" rider on the road? Look at all the close calls bikers already face each day and can we really say say we could have swerved or stopped in time if we were in the middle of reading texts or scrolling through a GPS?
I have no idea what H-D was thinking in allowing riders to scroll through POIs while in motion, maybe it was an error they didn't catch and will try to eliminate in the future? All it would take is some lawsuits saying a death or injury was caused by that error. Individual responsibility is a good concept in general if people would accept it but many now tend it try and say "it's not my fault" also saying"oops, my bad!" doesn't take away the trauma and problems your passenger, a pedestrian or other motorist may face due to your oops. Not to mention the cost to society for responding to your accident. Just because people get away with it many times and nothing happened in the past doesn't mean it was the smart thing to do.
As someone once said "when you know better, you do better."
 I grew up in an era where we didn't have such immediate gratification and could pull over to read a map or make a phone call. We all survived and seemed to be less stressed out due to not being plugged in all the time. I wish people would accept the fact that operating any motor vehicle is being in control of deadly force and needs everyone's full attention.
As stated by others above, I agree that the reason I ride is to unplug and enjoy the environment around me  not just some transportation pod that I can stay plugged into the communication/ internet etc.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »

I dodged someone this morning.  Looked to be tapping on an in dash display intently paying attention to something inside rather than outside.  Gal slowly and methodically wandered from the middle line to and through the outside lane (where I was).  Had to slow to almost nothing.  She noticed the gravitational constant of the universe had shifted and the world moved beneath her (because it couldn't have been her fault) about a foot shy of climbing the curb.  I so wish people would just f*^%g drive.

Exactly! Never even paired my phone with the radio on the bike.....

Yeah, I ride to get away from stuff, not to bring it along with me as a constant reminder.  Have even quit using the CB and the wife desn't notice the intercom is not hooked up.  If I want to listen to something, I have tunes on the USB or radio.

Car ran off the road in front of me on the bike a couple of days ago.  Punching their screen & did not notice until they were in the ditch.  They recovered ok but almost threw dirt on me, dammit.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:57:25 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.