Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge is at 0  (Read 1237 times)

Kern

• Junior CVO Member
Oil Pressure Gauge is at 0
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:04:08 PM »

I haven't posted here in a long time. I'm not sure which board is best to answer this.

On my way home tonight I noticed my oil pressure gauge was at 0. No movement at all. The bike is running fine after I noticed it was at 0. I'm not super familiar with this, but I assume it is either the sending unit or the gauge itself. No check engine lights etc are on so I'm assuming the the pressure is above 3 psi. I'm going to check the pressure in the morning after I get it up to temp. Is there anything else it could be or anything else I can check?

2011 FLHXSE2 Street Glide
TTS with stock air, aftermarket headers and slip ons

Any help is greatly appreciated.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge is at 0
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »

I haven't posted here in a long time. I'm not sure which board is best to answer this.

On my way home tonight I noticed my oil pressure gauge was at 0. No movement at all. The bike is running fine after I noticed it was at 0. I'm not super familiar with this, but I assume it is either the sending unit or the gauge itself. No check engine lights etc are on so I'm assuming the the pressure is above 3 psi. I'm going to check the pressure in the morning after I get it up to temp. Is there anything else it could be or anything else I can check?

2011 FLHXSE2 Street Glide
TTS with stock air, aftermarket headers and slip ons

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's most likely the sending unit, but I would put the pressure gauge on before you start it up. If you have no pressure reading with in a second or two of starting it up 5 sec max shut it down.
If you do have a reading let it run and see how fast the pressure drops as it worms up, if it falls steadily as the oil gets hotter  the pump will not maintain the pressure if it's the pump.
 A grounded oil signal switch wire.

When was your last oil and filter change? A plugged oil filter could also be the problem.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:15:42 AM by longlast »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:07:01 AM »

Sending unit should leave the gauge at zero and the idiot light on were it (the sending unit) the failed part.  So likely the gauge. 

Zero pressure showing on an oil pressure gauge is a high-pucker-factor-moment.  Soil anything?

Kern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »

I hooked up the oil pressure gauge and started it up. Pressure immediately went to 42 psi. (49 degrees out)

After letting it idle for a few minutes it dropped down to 37-38 psi. At 2000 rpms its at 41 and 3000 rpm its at 42. I did it again this afternoon. When I started it it was at 40 and dropped down to 38 after a few minutes. I'm assuming pressure is ok and it is either the gauge or sending unit. I'm putting the new sending unit in in the morning and we'll go from there.

Kern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »

Zero pressure showing on an oil pressure gauge is a high-pucker-factor-moment.  Soil anything?

The pucker factor was very high.  ;D 
I was shifting at about 5000 rpms when I noticed the gauge was at 0.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »

The pucker factor was very high.  ;D 
I was shifting at about 5000 rpms when I noticed the gauge was at 0.

Zero pressure noticed at 5k?  Oh gawd, you're lucky your briefs weren't hanging out your ears they got sucked up so hard.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.