Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 117" build  (Read 7212 times)

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: 117" build
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 08:08:54 AM »

The valve springs were changed on this build.

still using beehives here,no reason not too,but many reasons for using them.get rid of the SE springs (if anyone does want the SE springs,ive got box`s of them,PM me)

ultraswede

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »

still using beehives here,no reason not too,but many reasons for using them.get rid of the SE springs (if anyone does want the SE springs,ive got box`s of them,PM me)

What is the benefit replacing the stock 110 springs with beehives?

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »

"They" say that the double stock 110 springs are too stiff.   "They" say to put in AV&V springs.

So I did.  "MY" bike is in the shop with a broken AV&V beehive spring and bent valve.

I wish I could find "They" so "They" could pay for my 113 build.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »

Not necessary but will give more horse power and torque with porting and polishing. We just finished this one up in a 15 SE limited. HD bolt on 117 barrels ans pistons. Stock heads, .040 Head gasket, fullsac DX headpipe, Fullsac 1.75" Cores, Tman 625 cam, S&S camplate, pump, lifters and pushrods, SE 58mm Throttle body with 5.3 injectors. ~125hp & ~130tq

Jim, any guess what that build would have done with the Tman 600 instead of the 625? Really curious as to what difference the earlier intake close would make
Most great stores start with a bad decision

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »

"They" say that the double stock 110 springs are too stiff.   "They" say to put in AV&V springs.

So I did.  "MY" bike is in the shop with a broken AV&V beehive spring and bent valve.

No more here.
I default to my experience and that of others who I respect especially Sachs, 2 bikes broken here. There have been too many telltale signs on others I have had come in with not a lot of miles and the seat pressures 20+ lbs off what they installed at and less than original height and tipped tops. All signs of fatigue.
Not a place to take chances.
Quote from Sachs
"That being, the 1 big problem I find is if a spring breaks, usually the sh*t hits the fan. With dual springs, if a spring breaks, the inner spring will generally prevent the valve from having a mind of its own."
You've heard throwing the baby out with the bath water. Well there is nothing wrong with dual springs and they can survive a break. There are a plethora of them that will work well and have appropriate pressure and spring pack installed height / coil bind.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:00:30 PM by HD Street Performance »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »

Jim, any guess what that build would have done with the Tman 600 instead of the 625? Really curious as to what difference the earlier intake close would make

The 600 and 625 are very close spec wise. I would not expect a huge difference, maybe a few less ponies and torque. Honestly I have not used the 600 but done many successful builds with the 625 so just stuck with it for this one.

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »

the SE springs have too much seat pressure and will accelerate the wear of the lifter rollers,have been using beehive springs for years on 110 as well as stock casting port jobs (100`s if not 1000`s of sets)never had a problem. we used AV&V in the past,using KIBBLEWHITE now,no real reason,but I can get KIBBLEWHITE thru drag specialties.i can only think if they broke,the wrong spring was used for that given application,not shimmed right,ect

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 07:19:09 AM »

instead of blaming "they",ide blame "the" builder who either used the wrong springs or set them up wrong

wfolarry

• Vendor
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »

I agree with Kirby. I like the beehive springs. When Harley first started using them everybody panicked & said they were no good. Thousands of bikes later nobody complains. I've had some failures early on with different manufacturers but now it seems everybody has the process dialed in. I use AV&V or PAC springs. Set up right they're very reliable. Set them up wrong & they can break just like any other spring. And let's not forget how many cars are on the road with these springs. You don't see cars lined up at the dealership for new springs do you? If a spring breaks I'd be looking for the cause instead of just blaming the spring.
As far as double springs go if a spring breaks the other spring will keep the valve in place if the bike is idling. At 6000 rpm there is a total loss of valve control & there will be just as much damage. Maybe more.
All the beehive springs that I've seen break have never lost the valve. I've seen more stock retainers break then springs break.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »

I agree with Kirby. I like the beehive springs. When Harley first started using them everybody panicked & said they were no good. Thousands of bikes later nobody complains. I've had some failures early on with different manufacturers but now it seems everybody has the process dialed in. I use AV&V or PAC springs. Set up right they're very reliable. Set them up wrong & they can break just like any other spring. And let's not forget how many cars are on the road with these springs. You don't see cars lined up at the dealership for new springs do you? If a spring breaks I'd be looking for the cause instead of just blaming the spring.
As far as double springs go if a spring breaks the other spring will keep the valve in place if the bike is idling. At 6000 rpm there is a total loss of valve control & there will be just as much damage. Maybe more.
All the beehive springs that I've seen break have never lost the valve. I've seen more stock retainers break then springs break.

You have my heads right now, or just finished them.  Be gentle!  From Nick.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

wfolarry

• Vendor
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »

You have my heads right now, or just finished them.  Be gentle!  From Nick.

You'll be fine as long as you stay off the internet. 😎

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »

instead of blaming "they",ide blame "the" builder who either used the wrong springs or set them up wrong
I would expect this is where this would go. Setting them up is not rocket science and all that I set up were within the manufacturers specifications when they left my shop. I offer my experience for the help of others but can only control what I do myself.
By the way the stock springs, not recommending these, have less seat pressure than either an AV&V beehive, the 600 or the 650 lift versions. It isn't until about .300 lift that they cross over and then the beehives have less over the nose. I can measure them both if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:52:38 PM by HD Street Performance »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 10:20:24 PM »

The 600 and 625 are very close spec wise. I would not expect a huge difference, maybe a few less ponies and torque. Honestly I have not used the 600 but done many successful builds with the 625 so just stuck with it for this one.
Thank you Jim
Most great stores start with a bad decision

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »

I would expect this is where this would go. Setting them up is not rocket science and all that I set up were within the manufacturers specifications when they left my shop. I offer my experience for the help of others but can only control what I do myself.
By the way the stock springs, not recommending these, have less seat pressure than either an AV&V beehive, the 600 or the 650 lift versions. It isn't until about .300 lift that they cross over and then the beehives have less over the nose. I can measure them both if anyone is interested.

I was in no way referring to you,also had no idea the guys heads with broke springs came from your shop either.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 07:07:12 PM »

I'm wanting my bike back, Its been at the builder for a month now. Waiting on the heads to get done & I'm getting impatient. Hoping its gonna be done in time so i can go to the LSR in Galveston...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.