Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Where to leave a trailer when you are on a trip  (Read 3113 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Re: Where to leave a trailer when you are on a trip
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:16 PM »

I've had an Iron Horse motorcycle trailer for three years and absolutely love it. After my wife's back fusion, she can't handle the long-distance rides, so we trailer (quickly) to where we want to be and spend the extra time touring distant place on the bike.

I too have been challenged by storage while touring. A friend's house is the best, but often not an option. If they have a large parking area, hotels will sometimes allow you to leave the vehicle and trailer if you will stay at least one night on both ends of the trip. A loyalty club membership (with that hotel brand) helps with that conversation. The downside is both are usually in an unsecured area, though I've never had a problem. A local self-storage lot is another option and they will usually do a weekly rental, perhaps a month rental rate to use an enclosed storage for a week. Leaving at a dealership is sort of like the hotel option - usually an unsecured location. And on my last trip, I used the friend-of-a-friend option. The FOAF owned a fleet maintenance company and allowed me to park on his lot for free. Well, actually, I bought him a bottle of Booker's bourbon as a thank you. I gave him the gift when I dropped off the vehicle/trailer and came back to a freshly washed vehicle/trailer!

FYI, whenever I need to store my Iron Horse trailer in an unsecured lot, I lower the tongue jack as low as it will go, then drop the two stabilizer bars in the rear of the trailer. Then I lock the tongue jack in place using the safety chains. The net effect is a thief can't lift the trailer tongue to mount on a hitch. I also use both a hitch lock and a ball lock. I realize any of these protections can be cut or broken off by a clever thief, but most are not that clever and few have the time to overcome all four levels of security in a grab and go situation.
Thanks That is a big help. Can you tell me if you got any kind of discount on the Trailer?  Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »

Thanks That is a big help. Can you tell me if you got any kind of discount on the Trailer?  Thanks Billy

I recall they offer 2-3 seasonal sales each year - a Christmas holiday sale, bike rally sales, and I think a model year-end sale. But they don't discount much...being a H-D owner, you're probably familiar with that! I will tell you, Julie is one of the most honest and transparent sales people I've ever dealt with.

Since you haven't purchased yet, I'll offer a couple of additional thoughts for your consideration.

First, I have a single bike trailer and have loaded an Ultra Limited and CVO Road Glide Ultra. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the two-bike trailer and mount the chock in the middle. Either bike fit fine in the one-bike trailer, it's my overweight ass that has difficulty moving around them to get everything strapped down! And along those lines, follow their tie-down instructions explicitly and you won't have any problems.

Second, I store the trailer outdoors, so I purchased the protective cover. It has done the job, my trailer still looks brand new with the exception of some weathering on the tongue. It's a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

Lastly, if you opt to buy used, get a 2015 model or later so that you have the aluminum frame - no corrosion and even better fuel mileage. That said, my 2014 model pulls like a dream and only reduces fuel mileage by 3-4 mpg.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:22:43 PM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »

Thanks That was a question that I had  about the cover. I will be buying the wide body trailer as I have 2 road kings to haul. I have visited the company and was very happy with the product. Thanks for the help Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »

We towed out bikes out to CO this summer and found a storage facilty that had outside storage for RVs and such. Many have live-on grounds owners and all are gated and fenced.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »

We towed out bikes out to CO this summer and found a storage facilty that had outside storage for RVs and such. Many have live-on grounds owners and all are gated and fenced.
another great idea. love this site. Thanks Billy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »

Or you find a site member in the area.  At least a half dozen times over the years have had folks' rigs parked here as they've gone on somewhere else.

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 10:22:17 PM »

I personally haven't done this yet ... but have heard of it. You go to an airport parking lot, take the ticket on the way in, park the truck and trailer, take the bike out, and pay for the hour parking when you leave on the bike.  A week later you return on the bike and take a ticket on your way in, load the bike and leave in the truck with bike in tow, and pay the hour parking as you leave. One week of secure parking for around $ 8  :2vrolijk_21:

Marty

This is actually genius.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »

I personally haven't done this yet ... but have heard of it. You go to an airport parking lot, take the ticket on the way in, park the truck and trailer, take the bike out, and pay for the hour parking when you leave on the bike.  A week later you return on the bike and take a ticket on your way in, load the bike and leave in the truck with bike in tow, and pay the hour parking as you leave. One week of secure parking for around $ 8  :2vrolijk_21:

Marty

I know some airports run license plate scanners daily on all cars parked there in addition to scanning upon entering and leaving.

At the Manchester, NH airport, the shuttle driver who was a retired cop, claimed that they knew if a car had change parking spots. A vehicle with a trailer would be more obvious the then other vehicles in the parking lots.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.