Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Oops, uh oh, and my new bike - trike actually  (Read 7695 times)

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Re: Oops, uh oh, and my new bike - trike actually
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »

Wow, sorry to hear about your tip over and injury to your left foot.  Alison and also have both of our left feet in ortho boots!!  (not from a MC accident but will tell you over a beer).  Anyway, congrats on the new trike, I know you'll enjoy it!!
Dave

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 04:42:08 PM »

Wow, sorry to hear about your tip over and injury to your left foot.  Alison and also have both of our left feet in ortho boots!!  (not from a MC accident but will tell you over a beer).  Anyway, congrats on the new trike, I know you'll enjoy it!!
Dave
Thanks Dave.  Yeah I saw about your ortho boots on FB.  Yikes.  Not fun for sure.

The Queen will ascend her new throne on Saturday.  She wanted me to get a few miles and be comfortable with the trike before she went with.  Always a good idea and we've done that with all our bikes.  Anytime something is new it's best to have the least possible distraction at first.  And I mean that in a good way.  Her safety is paramount and if I'm uncomfortable and worried about that it is definitely a distraction.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »

Really curious.  What has been Herself's reaction to riding on the back of a trike?  Anything good, bad or just unexpected?

The Queen Herself ascended to her new throne and took her first ride yesterday - 180 miles.  She thoroughly enjoyed it and had a blast.  The only issue is her finding the best technique to mount and dismount the beast.  She had knee replacement on her right leg three years ago and while it was very successful she (like me) just cannot bend the knee sufficiently to pass the lower leg over the seat as one stands on the footboard.  She has to swing it over.  And she's heading for a new left knee so that side is a bit problematic.  But she's getting it figured out for sure.

As far as the ride she and I were quite pleased.  It was smoother in fact with her on the back.  I did pump up the stock air shocks as per the manual for two-up vs solo and based on several recommendations (including Lehman trike) I've set the rear tires at 22 psi.  She did say it was a bit more rough riding for the short time we were on a pretty bad section of road - a bit rougher than the two-wheeled cycle but still not bad.

And as for me I will say I was aprehensive about transitioning to three wheels.  The only trikes I'd ridden before were Susan's (Ghostrider / Travis wife) Spyder when she rode it to Ribfest a few years ago and I did ride a Harley Freewheel at BBBBQ last year for a short demo.  My initial impressions were that these things sure are sensitive to slight movement of the handlebars and it felt very strange turning at very low speed like in a parking lot or especially a right turn after a stop at and intersection.

The most unsettling experience on my new trike was my foray out of my garage and into the street for the first time.  Since my left foot is still in an ortho boot I could not ride my 2017 Limited that I traded so the dealer delivered the trike and picked up the Limited.  They showed me the reverse and just backed it into the garage so when I left for the first ride I just rode it out right on my driveway and stopped for a photo then a right turn into the street.  But once I got underway I very quickly adapted.  Now none of this bothers at all and everything about the riding experience just seems natural.  Doesn't lean in the curves - big deal.  There is a different sensation that is nontheless still fun.

All in all a good decision that we are very happy with.

DSCN4547 by , on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:42:25 AM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »

It reminds me of the 95th anniversary bikes Jerry.  That's a paint scheme I always liked.  It's a good looking ride.  So glad its a good riding ride as well.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »

It reminds me of the 95th anniversary bikes Jerry.  That's a paint scheme I always liked.  It's a good looking ride.  So glad its a good riding ride as well.
Don, you're absolutely right it is similar to the 95th anny paint scheme.  For a short while I had a 95th anny Sportster in those colors.  It was my first Harley.  I'd not had a bike for several years during the daughter's teen years and got my feet wet with Harley on the sporty.  Fun bike but the Queen said if you expect me to ride with you you'll have to get something a bit more comfortable, lol.  So a '99 Ultra was our first big touring bike and the Tri-Glide is now my 9th Harley and my 5th 'last new Harley.'   ;D

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »

Don, you're absolutely right it is similar to the 95th anny paint scheme.  For a short while I had a 95th anny Sportster in those colors.  It was my first Harley.  I'd not had a bike for several years during the daughter's teen years and got my feet wet with Harley on the sporty.  Fun bike but the Queen said if you expect me to ride with you you'll have to get something a bit more comfortable, lol.  So a '99 Ultra was our first big touring bike and the Tri-Glide is now my 9th Harley and my 5th 'last new Harley.'   ;D

I remember at least a couple of those "my last" bikes you've had....   It's a good thing when we keep putting any particular grim reaper. 

What's a storage comparison of the ass end and tour pak versus saddlebags?

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »

Jerry, sorry to hear you were injured. Dropping a bike is the easiest thing to do even for the most experienced riders. Getting your foot pinned was very unfortunate.

Regarding the new Queen's Throne, what a great looking bike. I am sure that you'll have many fun years of riding ahead of you.

Simon

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »

I remember at least a couple of those "my last" bikes you've had....   It's a good thing when we keep putting any particular grim reaper. 

What's a storage comparison of the ass end and tour pak versus saddlebags?
Haven't packed anything in there yet but it's pretty big.  From the Harley website:  luggage capacity for CVO Limited is 4.7 cu ft; for trike is 6.8 cu ft.  So it would seem that the trunk holds 2.1 cu ft more than the two saddlebags.  But the top of the inside of the trunk is several inches higher than the door opening so I don't know how easy it will be to completely fill that space - probably not able to utilize 100% of it but it will definitely hold more than the saddlebags.

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »

Jerry, sorry to hear you were injured. Dropping a bike is the easiest thing to do even for the most experienced riders. Getting your foot pinned was very unfortunate.

Regarding the new Queen's Throne, what a great looking bike. I am sure that you'll have many fun years of riding ahead of you.

Simon

Amen to that Simon.  Few months ago I dropped the Road King.  Came to an intersection at a county road.  Freshly paved.  Thickly freshly paved to the tune of an extra three or four inches of height at the intersection.  Stopped at what looked like a normal intersection and put my right foot down only to find that through what appeared to be normal looking turn at the road's edge there was there down there.  Foot finally found terra firma with the bike at about a 60 degree angle and the weight way beyond center with my foot well below pavement level.  No way I was getting it back up. 

Stood there a minute thinking of foreign swear words to add to the exhausted cache of English ones all used up then just had to make sure when I let it go my leg wasn't going to get pinned underneath.  So a hop up and the leg out and over the bike went.  Tilting "downhill" when it was done.  No way I could stand it back up either.  Was well below the bike to even try so walked back to Travis's house and he helped.  That's how quick the crap can happen even with a bike that should be manageable and someone with an ass (like mine) much larger than Jerry's.

I used to think I'd never migrate to a trike.  Now I see "old" on my nearer horizon and see cool rides like Jerry's here and realize I used to think wrong.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »

Glad you enjoyed your first ride Jerry. I think you will find each ride a little easier and way more enjoyable than any of us ever thought about a trike.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »

Simon
Thanks Simon.  It happens but not very often thankfully.  We are enjoying the new bike/trike for sure.  Hope to see you again soon at one of the GTGs.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 10:13:51 PM »

Glad you enjoyed your first ride Jerry. I think you will find each ride a little easier and way more enjoyable than any of us ever thought about a trike.
i am indeed finding it much more enjoyable than I expected.  We commented on Saturday's ride that while we could do the same ride in a car it just would not be the same and we probably would not do it.  I've thought about getting a small sports car just to do that but we keep coming back to the realization that we are just motorcyclists at heart and would not be happy with anything else. 

IBA member # 45520

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:57 PM »

Jerry, glad to hear you are doing well and on the mend! Beautiful trike! Hope to get to test it out next time we see each other! Tell your beautiful bride Annette and I say hello.   :drink:

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »

Jerry, glad to hear you are doing well and on the mend! Beautiful trike! Hope to get to test it out next time we see each other! Tell your beautiful bride Annette and I say hello.   :drink:
Thanks Rob.  Will do and you do the same please.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

ultrarider123

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »

Hey Jerry, looking at your new 2018 Tri-glide and the one that's pictured on the HD website in black, the front headlight and driving lights look way different.  The picture below was snipped from the website this morning.  Look at the headlight and how much higher/wider and different the driving and turn signals sit.  The headlight looks like it's been replaced by a chrome cover.

hmmmmm.....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.