Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tires availability  (Read 3963 times)

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
Tires availability
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »

So who all makes tires to fit the CVO touring models these days?  I found since I last looke there are Commander ll's. Anybody run them care to comment.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: Tires availability
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »

So who all makes tires to fit the CVO touring models these days?  I found since I last looke there are Commander ll's. Anybody run them care to comment.
I installed the commander ll's about 3000 miles ago, just got home from Maggie Valley tonight, handled very well in the corners, I just hope they don't cup like the  original Dunlap's so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »

Just put Dunlop Elites on this summer. So far so good.  I like the smooth sidewall. They look cleaner and you can put a little tire shine on them to make them stand out...

jmanderson6

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra CVO
    • CVO2: 2014 Softail Deluxe NON-CVO
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »

I have the commander II on my bike and love them other than traction in the wet weather.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »

I have read a bunch of reviews and have heard they do not cup.  As far as wet weather traction, I generally try to plan around the rain storms but do occasionally get stuck in one. So it should not be a problem for me. I just ordered the Commanders off Amazon and should have them next week.  It is a good thing cause my tire is a fingernail thin having some 20000+ miles on them.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 10:24:44 PM »

I installed the commander ll's about 3000 miles ago, just got home from Maggie Valley tonight, handled very well in the corners, I just hope they don't cup like the  original Dunlap's so far so good

They are starting to cup on my 11.5 CUSE6 but I've got almost 10k mile on them so they are better than the Dunlops in that regard. I maintain 36 PSI front and 42 PSI  rear diligently.

IMHO I think that any multiple compound tire we put on these heavy bikes will cup due to the hard center compound for long wear and the softer side compound for the cornering grip. It comes down to how long they will last before the cupping starts and riding style has a lot to do with that, along with load on the bike - passenger, gear,  ect...

The old single compound tires I had on an '06 ultra in the past, Dunlop 402 I think, didn't cup, they just wore out  :nixweiss:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »

I never got much past 7500 miles on Any rear tire, including the Comander 2 tires. They do the best at about 7500 miles on a FXR4 CVO with S&S V111. I don't wheelie or burn out, but bigger motors always eat up tires more than stock.
 Because;  bikes are driven by the rear wheel and bumps in the road makes the rear wheel  slip when pushing and hopping at the same time. Front tires outlast rear tires 3 to 1 ratio.
 My new 98 Road King has a V124LC custom by S&S special order.
probably will do as bad or worse on mileage than my FXR4.
Oh Well,  I don't Ride because it's Cheap. I Ride because it's FUN!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »

I have the commander II on my bike and love them other than traction in the wet weather.

That seems to be a reply I see pretty often and is what has kept me from trying them. I am not smart enough to get out of the rain. So far with the Elites all has been good, in the 12,000 range on the rear and close to 20,000 on the front. Looking at a tire change shortly
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 10:58:49 PM »

Just a note:  I bought a front Commander II online, and it was defective; it squirmed so bad it felt like it was going flat.  Just the luck of the draw on that one.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 09:04:27 AM »

Just a note:  I bought a front Commander II online, and it was defective; it squirmed so bad it felt like it was going flat.  Just the luck of the draw on that one.

Was there anything you could see physically on the tire that made it like this?

SouthSide

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 10:26:31 PM »

I just turned 18,800 miles on my '16 FLTRUSE still on original Dunlop rubber!  First time ever and I don't know why...I'm a big guy and do a lot of two-up riding.  I'm going to need to replace and intended on trying out the Commander IIs, but wondering about it after reading some comments about rain, etc.  Anybody else have this luck, or did Dunlop get their act together?  Getting ready for last road trip of the season in a little over a week so I will probably make a move before then. Any recommendations welcome.  Thanks
MGS True Duals w/high flow baffles
PowerVision tuner

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 02:25:53 AM »

Was there anything you could see physically on the tire that made it like this?
No, nothing visible.  Thinking it was an internal defect.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »

I just turned 18,800 miles on my '16 FLTRUSE still on original Dunlop rubber!  First time ever and I don't know why...I'm a big guy and do a lot of two-up riding.  I'm going to need to replace and intended on trying out the Commander IIs, but wondering about it after reading some comments about rain, etc.  Anybody else have this luck, or did Dunlop get their act together?  Getting ready for last road trip of the season in a little over a week so I will probably make a move before then. Any recommendations welcome.  Thanks
i got same bike and went commander 2s didnt notice any difference in the wet but been lucky and no heavy rain yet. 7.5 on them so far no cupping, will say i think the dunlops feel better in the tight twistys and will probly put the OEs on come next replacement...wish i could get the milage your getting with the OE tires tho   
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »

No, nothing visible.  Thinking it was an internal defect.

So I got them on the bike this past Monday and got about a 100miles on them.  I would like to hear more about the defect and how did you handle it?  I noticed at fairly high speed I get squirminess, I regularly ride around 90 around 85is where I noticed it. 

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:00:14 AM »

So I got them on the bike this past Monday and got about a 100miles on them.  I would like to hear more about the defect and how did you handle it?  I noticed at fairly high speed I get squirminess, I regularly ride around 90 around 85is where I noticed it.
I rode them about 4000 miles, decided I couldn't take any more, and went back to stock tires.  I had bought them online, and didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of trying to get refunded/prorated, so I just took the loss.  Not much I help, I know.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.