Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Validating VIN on 2013 CVO Anniversary Ultra  (Read 3077 times)

GR8-Ride

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

Validating VIN on 2013 CVO Anniversary Ultra
« on: September 22, 2017, 11:10:21 PM »

Folks,

Okay, so I'm a brand new (at least, I hope so) Harley Davidson owner, as I just bought a 2013 CVO 110th Anniversary Ultra Classic.   Or at least that's what all of the badging and the dealership is telling me.

However, I just ran the VIN with HD on the Serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com webpage, and it's telling me that it's simply a 2013 CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic, and NOT one of the 2013 110th Anniversary CVO bikes.   The tank badge lists it as 0037 of 1100.

Now, am I being paranoid, or is the HD VIN checker on the Serviceinfo webpage potentially wrong?

Thanks,

Patrick

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Validating VIN on 2013 CVO Anniversary Ultra
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »

What colors are the bike? More than likely if it's numbered it's an Annie.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

GR8-Ride

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »

It's the Obsidian and Diamond Dust paint colors....I've checked that much (visually, anyway), and it seems to match all of the 2013 CVO Annie models that I've seen online.

It also seems to have all of the correct badging.   The only thing that threw me off was checking my insurance today and with HD that it shows up as a non-annie model.

My big reason for wanting to validate it is 1) the price should be different for an annie vs non-annie CVO, and 2) the resale value will take a hit whenever I go to sell it.

I'd also hate to need to replace parts one day (badging, etc), and have my local dealer refuse to replace badging due to it not being what it was advertised as being.   Call me a stickler for details (and I should have checked earlier, I know).

Here is the link to the bike I just bought today.

https://www.munromotors.com/motorcycle-used/HARLEY-DAVIDSON/2013-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FLHTCUSE3+Screamin+Eagle+Anniversary-f82169430a0e08ba277f25d1762fd20e.htm

Patrick

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:17:36 AM »

Have your dealer try to buy one of the CVO Restricted parts and see what happens?   :nixweiss:
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »

As far as I know there isn't a separate VIN letter or number to distinguish between a regular CVO and an Anniversary CVO.  If this is really bugging you, call H-D Customer Service and ask them to check their records for that VIN and tell you which version it is according to those records.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:27:43 PM »

Nothing in the VIN to designate Anniversary edition. Don't overthink this. Bike is already 5 years old and value is really based on demand in the market. Reality is that it is probably not going to escalate in value while you own it unless you keep it 20+ years. HD kind of killed anniversary model from being worth more than regular bikes when they started making every five years a "anniversary model".
Just ride and enjoy.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »

The MoCo killed the value of an anniv. bike just like they killed the value of a CVO.......by flooding the market with them.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GR8-Ride

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 10:34:42 AM »

Nothing in the VIN to designate Anniversary edition. Don't overthink this. Bike is already 5 years old and value is really based on demand in the market. Reality is that it is probably not going to escalate in value while you own it unless you keep it 20+ years. HD kind of killed anniversary model from being worth more than regular bikes when they started making every five years a "anniversary model".
Just ride and enjoy.

All good points, and I don't disagree.  The bike was fairly valued based upon what I was prepared to spend, so I'm not concerned from that side.

My concern was more about IF I ever had an issue with replacement Anniversary badge items (tank emblems, build # emblems, etc) that HD would refuse because it wasn't "official".

I'm not looking for it to escalate in value...and I bought used specifically because I'm thinking that someone else has already lost the huge initial depreciation over the past 5 years.   It's not an investment...it's the bike I wanted in order to ride it, not to garage it and hope to make money with it.

Mostly I was just curious, as I ran the VIN Friday night and the results didn't match up.   Being my first HD (I've been a sport / sport-touring guy the past 20 years...), and with the issues that iconic brand names like HD have with counterfeiting and fakes, I sought confirmation.

For the record, I grabbed the VIN from another 2013 CVO Ultra Anniversary edition, and it had identical results on Service-Info, and on HD's customer website.   Based on that, and what folks have educated me about in this thread, I'm pretty confident that my fears are unfounded.

And yes, I agree that HD has probably killed the value of Anniversary editions by having them every 5 years.   I'm hoping to keep this bike for 10 years....and then I'll buy myself a 125th Anniversary edition to ride off into the sunset with.    :P

In the meantime, it's a beautiful end to summer and start of fall here in Toronto, and I can't wait to go for a ride.

Patrick

GR8-Ride

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »

Okay, not that anyone likely cares besides me, but I did speak with Harley customer service today.

They confirmed to me both over the phone, as well as documentation (I didn't ask, but they offered) by email stating that the bike was one of the 1100, 2013 CVO Anniversary bikes.

I thought I'd post this, just in case anymore kooks like me run into a similar situation down the road.

Patrick

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.