Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's Fall so my 2009 CVO Roadglide must be broken again.  (Read 899 times)

smenard415

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black
It's Fall so my 2009 CVO Roadglide must be broken again.
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »

Greetings,

So for the third year in a row just as fall hits my 2009 CVO Roadglide is broken again.  Damn I am tired of this.  The first year I had done the 30th sprocket change and broke a belt.  That one is my fault since I tried to do it the cheap way and used an aftermarket belt.  Fixed that by machining the swing arm and going back to the HD belt.  All good there.  Last year was the biggie.  Ate a lifter and wiped out the cam.  Fixed that and added the 117 kit.  Mostly good there.  Still do not like the Harley tuner and would like my Mastertune back.

Well now it's fall again and  when the wife and I went to take a ride there was oil all over my pretty little HD flooring tiles.  The bottom of the bike was covered in oil.  I just cleaned it before our last big trip so I know it's fresh.  After crawling around on the floor with my trusty can of Zip cleaner I could not find anything.  I thought heating the bike up might help so I did take a brief ride.  Found my leak!  there is oil literally pouring out of the stator  plug in the front of the crankcase.  Dammit all to hell!!  The answer of course is a new stator for God knows how much money.  What a stupid design.  I can't believe you have to go to all that trouble to stop a leak.

This will be the 4th time the primary has been apart as this magnificent piece of HD engineering is on it's 4th compensator.   The one that's in there now rattles like rocks in a tin can.  This one has the plastic oil drip rails in it but obviously they don't work either.  Anyone know if the latest, and twice as expensive, version (40100061) is any good.  The picture in the new S/E catalog looks nothing like the ones from before.

I love this bike however it is seriously testing my patience.  38,000 miles and I have spent a small fortune trying to keep it running.  OK ranting over thanks for letting me vent.

Seriously though is the latest compensator worth the $500 they want for it?  It seems highly suspicious that it looks like a completely different design.

Thank God I have my boxer bike to ride while the weather is still nice.  Now if I can just convince my wife to be seen riding on it.

SteveM

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.