Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Hot Springs, Heber Springs and Eureka Springs...the Ozarks of Arkansas Oct 2017  (Read 5958 times)

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
Re: Hot Springs, Ark.....10/1/17
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »

When you're in Heber Springs be sure to ride Push Mountain road, AR341 between Norfolk and Big Flat.  Blanchard Springs Cavern, just north of Mountain View is a worthwhile stop in the area.  Smoke House gets my vote for breakfast/lunch in Heber.

Heber is in a dry county so planning ahead is a priority for some.   :nervous: :drink:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »

When you're in Heber Springs be sure to ride Push Mountain road, AR341 between Norfolk and Big Flat.  Blanchard Springs Cavern, just north of Mountain View is a worthwhile stop in the area.  Smoke House gets my vote for breakfast/lunch in Heber.

Heber is in a dry county so planning ahead is a priority for some.   :nervous: :drink:

I really appreciate this kind of information....especially coming from riders.  Other RVers tell us "you need to go see this or go see that" but they don't know it from a rider's perspective, so I really appreciate this feedback!  Thanks a bunch!!!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 11:36:54 PM »

I think about you on some of these rides.  I know you and Miguel would really enjoy these rides.  Miss you guys Alan but I'm really enjoying this new venture in my life.  :2vrolijk_21:
thats awesome JC, really happy for you guys! Not sure the state of CA happy about missing out on all the traffic ticket revenue now that your gone though..
Alan

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

I really appreciate this kind of information....especially coming from riders.  Other RVers tell us "you need to go see this or go see that" but they don't know it from a rider's perspective, so I really appreciate this feedback!  Thanks a bunch!!!  :2vrolijk_21:

We ride to Heber a couple of times a year, typically stay at the Red Apple Inn, so I know the area pretty well.  Another good day ride is AR16 to AR9 to Mountain View.  Spend some time on the square in Mountain View, keep in mind the no  :drink: rule.  Take AR 5 to AR25 to get back to Heber.

For a longer ride, may need to overnight somewhere else, AR16 to AR7 is a great route.  If you are up for more adventure go North on AR7 toward Jasper and stop at the Cliff House Inn for lunch.

If you haven't already found an AR MC Road Guide go here: https://www.arkansas.com/motorcycling/guide/.  It's full of information about roads to ride and I've found the info to be very accurate.

Ride safe and enjoy the Ozarks.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

I'm going to add all the "Springs"....which means all of the Arkansas Ozarks to this thread.

Early last week, I took Babe to Hot Springs and we visited Bath House Row which is now a national park.  Those that follow baseball or the history of the gangsters are probably aware of the history here....

And the bath houses.....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Babe and I spent a part of a day just riding around Little Rock to see if we could find anything of interest.....

and what the locals refer to as "the trailer house on stilts".....the Clinton Presidential Library...

I stopped and took several photos of this building before a gentleman came walking up the sidewalk in a dark blue blazer with some kind of badge and I asked what the building was.  "It's the Pulaski (I thought that was a tool we used to fight forest fires years ago....a pulaski) County Courthouse....both civil and criminal".  Yes sir....thank you, I've got to go now...

and Babe waits impatiently, from across the street...  :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

the Arkansas state capital.....

As I exited the drive through tunnel under the capital steps, I was going to park in the first parking spot and it was open.  Babe quickly pointed out to me "do you realize that you're parked in the Governor's parking spot....she might not like that".  Well, nice to know the Lt. Gov. is working today.....I better go to the bottom of the ladder and park...

Arkansas has a lot of bronze statues in all the towns and cities but one of the most impressive that I saw was on the back side of the capital....the fire fighters memorial...

Little Rock has some interesting bridges and several are lit up in colored lights at night.  This is their newest bridge...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

and Little Rock has many, many interesting and beautiful old homes....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Last Friday we packed up and headed north to Heber Springs, Ark. and we've been rolling every since we got here.  A very nice campground on a very large, beautiful lake.  It doesn't compare to Lake Tahoe but I did see an article that said this is one of the 10 clearest lakes in America......I'd swim in it.  They also have a huge marina with boat and wave runner rentals, etc.  There are a number of marinas around this lake, I'm just talking about here at the Dam Site Campground.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

And look at this hot Babe!

A view of the dam and one of the swimming beaches, from the lake side....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

We swung by the Heber Springs Historical Museum.  They built this town because of the springs (there are six springs in the block that is now the town park).....from three directions they had to cross a river to get here.  From the fourth direction they had to come over a "mountain" (really a hill!).

This is a photo of the last bust the local sherriff made on a bootlegger here in town.  It was back in the mid 80s.....

In the mid to upper 80s, they're still swimming here....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Yesterday our new friends, Steve and Chris rode up from North Little Rock RV park.  They used to keep there boat on this lake so they know the area well....they gave us the $1.98 tour of the area.  Out in the middle of nowhere is Drasco Trading Post and it's all motorcycle related.  Actually was surprised at the variety and quantity they had for a place that's so far from anywhere.....

Rut-rohhh....they got some of Steve's money....

We rode up to Mountain View, Ark.  An interesting little town.  Then we rode through Shirley, Ark. where I hear the moonshine is their number one cash crop....like something out of a movie...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Tomorrow morning we get up and ride to Eureka Springs.  Going to hook up with a couple other friends of ours, members of this forum.....Don & Carol.  Lookin forward to it. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?

Why am I envisioning the photo in my mind regarding your current status?    ;)   :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 22 queries.