Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Big news. More competition. BMW / Milwaukee watch out.  (Read 13791 times)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Big news. More competition. BMW / Milwaukee watch out.
« on: October 24, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »

I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Big news. More competition. BMW / Milwaukee watch out.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:52:48 PM »

Damn, that is nice!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »

Damn, that is nice!

I thought so too.  I know, yes; they're plastic.  All the other common Wing complaints will still apply.  Honda can be so far ahead of the game, however, getting to leverage what they learn applying the automotive business's tech and its multi-millions of units to applications in bikes.  If even most of the things suggested there are applied to the Goldwing platform they will, once again, be doing things regualary with motorcycles that top line Harleys won't see for 15 years.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »

they will, once again, be doing things regualary with motorcycles that top line Harleys won't see for 15 years.

Yup,....agreed!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:01:38 AM »

Gold Wing lovers will all be racing to the dealer to embrace this latest and greatest La-Z-Boy on two wheels. Finally some big changes that the GW crowd has been longing for all these years and that's great. For me however, that is waaaay too much hi-tech bs not needed on a bike when my main objective is to get away from it all when I go for a ride. I still can't believe when you get on all the HD sites/forums how many cry about ... My gps/nav doesn't work right ... My Boom audio is screwed up ... I can't answer my phone when my radio is on ... I can't text and ride ... blah, blah, blah. Who cares? Get on your damn bike and just RIDE! I have never turned my nav on since I bought my bike and the so-called Boom radio is so worthless sometimes I don't bother to turn it on either.

Lane departure on a bike????? C'mon, get real! If you are so wrapped up in this now "connected" world, at least DIS-connect yourself long enough to enjoy what riding is all about ... the sights, smells, the journey,getting lost, the pit-stops and food along the way, get your hair in the breeze, etc.... OR just stay at home and play on your laptop and phone ... OR better yet, just jump in your car and do the same so you can endanger others on the road like everybody else does nowadays.

I saw this somewhere before and like the front suspension improvement and the better look of the bike. The electronic nightmare this thing has become and a DCT transmission is a big turn-off for me. If you can get one with a manual 6 spd. that's controlled by MY hand and left foot without all the electronic bs I don't need, I MIGHT think about taking one for a demo ride, but that's about it. I'm guessing all that hi-tech puts you in the price league of a new CVO which is too rich for my blood.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »

The 2018 Goldwing is now up on Honda's website.  It was introduced yesterday in Tokyo.  Rumors no more.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »

The 2018 Goldwing is now up on Honda's website.  It was introduced yesterday in Tokyo.  Rumors no more.

Good eye and looks like I can choke on what I was thinking about the price! Base MSRP for a Gold wing Tour with 6spd. manual (finally) is 26,700 ... not too hard to swallow after all. Actually looks pretty sharp ... I like! I will definitely check one out when they hit the floor. Then if i get one, I'll most likely be back here bitching about my new HD after I get bored with the GW in a couple years, lol.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:37:47 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:46:53 AM »

Now I just have to see if they have blue one in my favorite shade.

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 07:54:56 AM »

They are priced right too. $25-32k. A lot of bike for the money.   Harley is so sad for what we get. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

Wow, you sure get a lot.  Ten years of map updates for free on either model, yet 3 updates in five years is all you get with a 40K CVO, and no free updates with non CVO bikes.  Sure like the ride modes and electronically adjustable suspension, and windshield you can raise and lower.  All for less than an Ultra...
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:19 AM »

They are priced right too. $25-32k. A lot of bike for the money.   Harley is so sad for what we get.

Yes ... you are right, but we all knew that before we set foot in the door to pay for that look, sound and name. By the looks of this new Wing, Honda will put a serious hurting on the new Venture too. I personally no longer have any interest in the the Venture after hearing about the Honda. I like my HD, but I'm afraid it might go bye bye after riding one of these. I have ridden quite a few different bikes in my life and can honestly say Honda always did make the best touring bikes. I just wish I could afford both! 
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

New motor and a 90lb diet. Whoop whoop! While still a big bike, they did improve the styling.

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »

Truth is a good chunk of the aging Harley demographic wants this.  At this price point they're going to sell.

Between this and what Polaris/Indian is doing, HD better wake up.

mark

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »

Gold Wing lovers will all be racing to the dealer to embrace this latest and greatest La-Z-Boy on two wheels. Finally some big changes that the GW crowd has been longing for all these years and that's great. For me however, that is waaaay too much hi-tech bs not needed on a bike when my main objective is to get away from it all when I go for a ride. I still can't believe when you get on all the HD sites/forums how many cry about ... My gps/nav doesn't work right ... My Boom audio is screwed up ... I can't answer my phone when my radio is on ... I can't text and ride ... blah, blah, blah. Who cares? Get on your damn bike and just RIDE! I have never turned my nav on since I bought my bike and the so-called Boom radio is so worthless sometimes I don't bother to turn it on either.

Lane departure on a bike????? C'mon, get real! If you are so wrapped up in this now "connected" world, at least DIS-connect yourself long enough to enjoy what riding is all about ... the sights, smells, the journey,getting lost, the pit-stops and food along the way, get your hair in the breeze, etc.... OR just stay at home and play on your laptop and phone ... OR better yet, just jump in your car and do the same so you can endanger others on the road like everybody else does nowadays.

I saw this somewhere before and like the front suspension improvement and the better look of the bike. The electronic nightmare this thing has become and a DCT transmission is a big turn-off for me. If you can get one with a manual 6 spd. that's controlled by MY hand and left foot without all the electronic bs I don't need, I MIGHT think about taking one for a demo ride, but that's about it. I'm guessing all that hi-tech puts you in the price league of a new CVO which is too rich for my blood.

I'm guessing you're like me, a Baby Boomer.  When I ride, it's an escape - so I don't want to answer the phone, read text, etc.  However, I'm speculating they didn't make this for us...they're trying to draw the next generation of riders - millennials, who grew up with technology and expect it to be incorporated in their products.  Having a bike without a manual tranny might seem foreign to us, but how many millennials learned to drive a stick shift?  I imagine when the first cars were introduced, the horse and buggy riders said the same thing...lol.       

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »

I'm guessing you're like me, a Baby Boomer.  When I ride, it's an escape - so I don't want to answer the phone, read text, etc.  However, I'm speculating they didn't make this for us...they're trying to draw the next generation of riders - millennials, who grew up with technology and expect it to be incorporated in their products.  Having a bike without a manual tranny might seem foreign to us, but how many millennials learned to drive a stick shift?  I imagine when the first cars were introduced, the horse and buggy riders said the same thing...lol.       

Exactly! ... I guess I'm just too old-school to take advantage of all the latest hi-tech, just not me. While some of it is nice and convenient, I don't really need or have a use for some of it. I will seriously consider replacing my bike with a new wing in the spring, I really like the improvements. Just because it has the latest and greatest doesn't mean I have to use it ... same way I don't use use half the crap on my bike now. At least with the Honda I won't have to worry about being somewhere in the boonies and my afterthought of an electric water pump chits and leaves me stranded, or my wheel bearings bouncing down the road beside me, or my shifter linkage falling apart etc. LOL. I just want a reliable, comfortable and relaxing ride no matter what I'm on with no worries and some good tunes to listen to every now and then. Life is too short and you might as well be happy while you're here.

Here's another reason why I hate all this latest, greatest hi-tech ... I have a 2014 Charger SXT loaded to the hilt, love the car. Recently the touchscreen isn't working half the time which means no radio and no way to control most of the hvac functions .... VERY irritating to say the least. I'm not alone with this problem and after reading some horror stories others have had I'm afraid to even take it in to a dealer ... same deal as HD. It's all great when it works, but I hate all this new electronic bs, but it seems you can't escape it today unless you buy something older. Just give me a radio and hvac with real buttons that won't let me down. I'm now car shopping because I'm afraid what this nightmare could turn into after my warranty is up in February. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:56:39 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 09:50:15 AM »

Truth is a good chunk of the aging Harley demographic wants this.  At this price point they're going to sell.

Between this and what Polaris/Indian is doing, HD better wake up.

You are so right. Me and two buds will test ride these Hondas. If they kick ass in person, will trade in the CVOs Probably be close to a straight trade to.

mark

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 10:52:44 AM »

Very nice bike.  Apple Car Play included...

YouTube video link with more info:

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 10:54:52 AM »

Riding impression already. 

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 11:06:28 AM »

Hahahahahaa, that new wing has you soooo excited, you posted in the wrong thread! Don't worry, I can't wait to ride one either! I might even try it out in Feb. when they arrive cause I won't be able to wait til spring. What I want to know is WTF did he get that wiper on the old one???? I never saw one on a wing before that vid.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »

Sorry posted this on the wrong thread.  :'( :'( :'(

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 11:09:35 AM »

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »

I saw that vid right before you posted it and I'm dying to try one out soon as they get here, but will be a little chilly in February. I'd like to know WTF he got that wiper on the old one they rode???? My first time I ever saw one on a bike period!
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »

Thanks for the video link, it looks to be an awesome motorcycle. Might be in my future.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »

Thanks for the video link, it looks to be an awesome motorcycle. Might be in my future.

Will you change your login name to Plastic Horse?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 12:55:31 PM »

Thought I'd wait for Indian to come out with a frame mounted fairing and wet motor, but now this !  Can't wait to demo the wing although the video probably says it all.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »

Does this ones body panels rub and squeak when it's hot?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:48:26 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 01:12:53 PM »

Will you change your login name to Plastic Horse?

Only if you change your name to German HOG,...LOL!!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »

Thought I'd wait for Indian to come out with a frame mounted fairing and wet motor, but now this !  Can't wait to demo the wing although the video probably says it all.

I agree Lou, I love the look of the Indians too, but that new Goldwing has it all. And it all makes sense, not just stuff, for the sake of stuff. Like someone posted earlier, the nice thing about Honda is that they get to field test their stuff in the automotive division. Harley uses us as their field test. Think about it, more HP, more room, more comfortable, more usable items, and 90 pounds lighter.

mark

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »

Does this ones ody panels rub and squeak when it's hot?

I bet the oil pumps hold up.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 01:49:35 PM »

Damn.....resistance........eventually....may be futile!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »

In three years that Goldwing will be selling used for $17k. That’s the time to buy it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 03:05:47 PM »

Or if they don't, Honda will quickly issue a recall to correctly correct the issue.  No "Product Program" nonsense or fix 1,2,3/a,b,c on the part number board.... >:(

As for the new GW or GW Tour, to me it looks like an all-grown-up ST.  Losing 90 lbs, stronger motor, interesting double wishbone front suspension, cleaned up instrument panel, losing 90 lbs (yes I know I said that twice but dang, that's a LOT of weight to skim with all the changes even with a plastic covered bike)....what's not to like?  I would be interested in riding one but not owning one.  I had an 1800 when they first came out in 2001...kept it for less than a year.  It was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever ridden long distance but that is me and my experience. 

I'm betting it's another winner for Honda.... :2vrolijk_21:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »

I agree Lou, I love the look of the Indians too, but that new Goldwing has it all. And it all makes sense, not just stuff, for the sake of stuff. Like someone posted earlier, the nice thing about Honda is that they get to field test their stuff in the automotive division. Harley uses us as their field test. Think about it, more HP, more room, more comfortable, more usable items, and 90 pounds lighter.

We are the Beta Testers for the MOCO. Small group, fewer recalls/repairs. Other industries pay their Beta Testers for their feedback and inconveniences.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »

But....won't the Honda look funny with ape hangers and stretched bags?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »

But....won't the Honda look funny with ape hangers and stretched bags?

And slammed so low to the ground no side stand is needed,...LOL!

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 04:23:13 PM »

I'm sure they have one in RED with your name on it.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

Only if you change your name to German HOG,...LOL!!!

I'm guessing you haven't seen my latest acquisition.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »

NICE!!!!!!!!    The 114 engine?

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »

NICE!!!!!!!!    The 114 engine?

Yeah, I worked a deal to include a Stage III upgrade. Pick it up this Friday.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »

I'm sure they have one in RED with your name on it.

...and no need to repaint the Bushtec !

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »

...and no need to repaint the Bushtec !

Looks like a match to me!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 05:07:58 PM »

Now that is a great looking ride Simon!   :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 05:39:46 PM »

Now that is a great looking ride Simon!   :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks, just wait and it after a few mods  8)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »

More info. And the "air bag" Wing colours. 

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »

one mere

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »

Now that’s stunning!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »

If Mother Harley actually could jump a generation and effectively integrate all the systems on a Wing she would try to sell the Ultra for $60k and the CVO touring rigs would push $85 grand.  Oh gawd that's both painful and funny to think about....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »

Does this ones body panels rub and squeak when it's hot?

Not sure which would annoy me more.  A little plastic squeak that went on for the duration of ownership or the noises associated with failing lifters or bad oil pumps that only last a short time...

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »

So true. ^^^  But, the prices of the ‘18s have already surpassed my ceiling for what I’m willing to pay for a motorcycle by a wide enough margin that I find myself completely disinterested in any of the new CVOs, even if we didn’t have the Indian and Honda options we have today.  Thank goodness we do.  One of those two are likely what will be in the cards when the time/desire comes for me. 

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »

Even if we didn’t have the Indian and Honda options we have today.  Thank goodness we do.  One of those two are likely what will be in the cards when the time/desire comes for me.

My sentiments exactly. Oh I'll keep my '06 CVO Ultra, but my next bike will probably be an Indian or that gorgeous two tone red/black GoldWing. And if that GW sells for $28K now, in three or four years I can pick it up for $17K-$18K. Even if it has 50K on the clock, it will be bullet proof. It's a Honda.

We can make fun of plastic panels, and spaceship looks, but it's nice to know you can leave on a cross country trip and not worry about lifters, gaskets, compensators, rockers,....you know the drill.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »

Guys........I just can't help it.  Those are just butt-ugly.  Harley may not be reliable to some of y'all, but it still looks like a Motorsickle!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2017, 09:12:08 PM »

If Mother HD bought the Goldwing department from Honda tomorrow and they started selling those with Harley Davidson badges on the tanks...

95% of the "thats to much plastic, it's ugly, too much electronics" crowd would be lined up drooling to buy one. 

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2017, 10:01:41 PM »

If Mother HD bought the Goldwing department from Honda tomorrow and they started selling those with Harley Davidson badges on the tanks...

95% of the "thats to much plastic, it's ugly, too much electronics" crowd would be lined up drooling to buy one.

Now that's funny!! :)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »

Guys........I just can't help it.  Those are just butt-ugly.  Harley may not be reliable to some of y'all, but it still looks like a Motorsickle!  Later--HUBBARD
I agree completely. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »

I'm a baby boomer, but at the end of the generation, 1963.  I ride to escape also, yet I want all the latest and greatest technology.  I work repairing machine automation, PLC's, robots and so on, so I like tech.   I have my phone paired on my bike.  I only answer it if it a call I want, like from a riding buddy or such.  What I really like it for is when my wife and I are traveling on our bikes and we start thinking about stoping for the night.  I find a hotel in our chain we like on the GPS, then it will call them for me.  I find out if they have a room, have them hold it and then the GPS routes us to it. 

All my children can drive a stick, they learned in a Manual pick up, all three girls.  They always begging to drive my manual trans Stingray.

I can not see me ever owning a auto bike or sports car.  With my car, I know its slower in the quarter mile with the stick, but its much more fun to drive on a twisty mountain road.

I love what the wing has to offer.  Just wish it was on a Road Glide

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »

Where in the wild world of sports have you been?

BigLew

mark

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »

I agree completely.

It's not ugly, it just doesn't look like a Harley. 

J.D.

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »

Honda doesn't explicitly list engine power numbers, but the design details would suggest it has ample power:

https://powersports.honda.com/2018/gl1800bj/GetSpecifications.aspx

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »

Exactly.

ultrarider123

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »

Honda doesn't explicitly list engine power numbers, but the design details would suggest it has ample power:

3 years unlimited warranty, too, along with available up to 8 years through the Honda protection plan.  Yes I know it's probably a third party insurance warranty but at least Honda puts their name on it.  You don't see the "Harley Davidson ESP"..... :2vrolijk_21:

J.D.

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »

I love my stupid, old, carbureted TC88 Harley, but if I wanted to rack up tons of reliable cross-country miles, I think I would look at this option pretty closely.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »

My BMW K1600GT with an inline 6 cylinder and capacity of 1649cc puts out 160hp and 129ft-lbs max torque. Undoubtedly this new Honda Gold Wing will numbers around this neighborhood with it's 1833cc.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »

My BMW K1600GT with an inline 6 cylinder and capacity of 1649cc puts out 160hp and 129ft-lbs max torque. Undoubtedly this new Honda Gold Wing will numbers around this neighborhood with it's 1833cc.

Another great motorcycle!  Those things are holy sheet fast and smooth as glass.  Phenomenal suspension.
I'm guessing the new Honda Goldwing will be right there with it.
Nice to have so many good options!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »

Two or three years from now when any new model kinks have been dealt with (in the way Honda deals with such things) and good used examples are in the middle to high teens I could be tempted.  Unless of course an Indian has already scratched that itch.  I think I'm more intrigued by the significant systems integration and deployment in the Honda than I am by the styling of the Indian though.  Touch choice.  Bet the Honda is faster and handles better.  That could help make the choice too.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »

Some nice accessories to buy. Check

mark

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »

And I bet the accessories are reasonable priced.

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2017, 07:52:57 PM »

we harley riders ain't riding that dame thing , we want noice , and vibs, and smoke , plus we d have to where helmets on that , we ain't gonna look cool on that , ain't know other harley riders  gonna wave at us either :nixweiss:

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »

and another thing , we trailer our bikes , we ain't use to riding something thats gonna make it home , with out pushing :2vrolijk_21:

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »

Any other Shark riders happen to notice the glare on the radio screen in the video? I'd think They would have heard all us RG riders bitching about it the last 3  years and would have done better.

Other than that... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Time to go see what kinds of prices adding all the "CVO included" accessories add up to. Liners, cb, stereo and such to see what a comparable model really adds up to.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »

:vrolijk_11:   :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »

Wonder which oil is best to use in one of these fancy Honda?   :-\

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2017, 10:56:33 PM »

You use the nicest oil, made for the nicest bikes, ridden by the nicest people you meet.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2017, 11:46:41 PM »

You use the nicest oil, made for the nicest bikes, ridden by the nicest people you meet.

That's nice.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 12:45:23 AM »

17 1800 GW has 118 HP. doubt they will increase that much
Alan

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2017, 05:44:26 AM »

This could be you!

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2017, 05:59:48 AM »

I see Harman developed the GPS and Infotainment system. Same company HD used for present system on our bikes.  Would be nice to see updated system for the 2019 touring lineup.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2017, 06:18:52 AM »

This could be you!

Cute pix but that only applies when both sitting at a light. As much as I love my bike, I know better than to try to run against a GW.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »

This could be you!

Cute pix but that only applies when both sitting at a light. As much as I love my bike, I know better than to try to run against a GW.
I would run my CVO King against that bike.  I'm pretty sure I would take it in the Quarter mile.  The twisties, no as it has much better lean angle.

J.D.

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2017, 08:57:21 AM »

Since when is it important to have the fastest bagger?

Truth is to make a stock Harley as fast as a stock GW you have to throw thousands of dollars at it and you just end up with an even more unreliable bike.

Here's where Harley's latest direction confuses the hell out of me.  They tried to make a high tech / low tech hybrid and arguably ended up with overpriced bikes with the worst traits of both.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »

Truth is to make a stock Harley as fast as a stock GW you have to throw thousands of dollars at it and you just end up with an even more unreliable bike.

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »

I was looking forward to see the new wing but so far I'm feeling disappointed. I'd thought the bagger version might be a replacement for my 2015 CVO SG. 

I'm getting tired of the heat output from a big air cooled motor and I'm getting fed up of struggling to find tyres that'll cope with the weight of a HD tourer and have good performance in bad weather.  The M8 Tourers ain't much different in weight to my 2015 and the new Yamaha is aircooled and heavy so I was waiting to see what Honda came up with. 

I was hoping that they'd reduce the weight drastically and get it down to near K1600GT/K1600B levels (unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 336kg/740lbs) but instead I've seen the base Goldwing model quoted as 365kg/787lbs although this is an improvement on a Street Glide (weight in running order = 398kg/877lbs).

Then I look at the slimmed down fairing of the new wingand wonder how protective it will be and then read that the fuel tank size has been reduced to 21.5 litres and I'm wondering what the design brief was...

This is no technological tour-de-force, which was what I was hoping for.  Looking at the rest of the machine and it seems Honda have just been platying a bit of catch-up on BMWs K1600 launched in 2010/2011   

Double Wishbone front suspension - not exactly radical as it looks just like the design BMW borrowed from Hossack in which has been used since 2005 on BMW K1200,K1300 and K1600   

DCT - not an option I would want but whilst the wing has this option the K1600 has the option of "gear shift assist" which is basically a quickshifter that works on up and down changes (no need to use the clutch whilst you're moving) 

Reverse gear - also available on the K1600, only available on the wing if you have the DCT option

Apple Carplay - good idea if you use an iPhone but no interest to me as I loathe Apple products in general and use an Android phone.

Electronic Suspension - also on the K1600

Driving modes - also on the K1600

Linked ABS - also on the K1600.

So the K1600 is lighter, has pretty much all the bells and whistles, more power (160bhp/120lbft  vs  126bhp/125lbft ) and better power to weight plus you can get decent sport-touring tyres to fit it.

I'm left feeling that if BMW had never built the K1600 maybe the Golding would be some kind of awesome, but as it stands it looks to be a major disappointment. 

Shame.   

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »

The new Wing is 125 horsepower.
Regarding the fuel tank size, it has the same range as the 17 (better fuel mileage).
If I were buying new, I would buy one over a Harley.  $28K vs over $42K for a cvo..  Just one guys opinion.    :(

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »

The new Wing is 125 horsepower.
Regarding the fuel tank size, it has the same range as the 17 (better fuel mileage).
If I were buying new, I would buy one over a Harley.  $28K vs over $42K for a cvo..  Just one guys opinion.    :(
Interesting option, just not doing a lot of 700 mile days anymore, maybe a stripped down version?

BigLew

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »

The Wing, or Honda has the biggest ace up its sleeve. BMW can't even touch this ace. and thats reliability, inexpensive parts and service when it does need to be fixed. Go and take you Beemer for electrical work or some oil leak some place. Sorry about your luck. That relay or module is $600 and $600 to install and guess what, we can't get it, and we don't have the tools to take the thing apart.  Honda? go to you power sport store and order. And every tech can fix them, not to many specialty tools required. BMW all specialty tools.   From that perspective I would avoid BMW like the plague. And did you know BMW is recalling 150,000 bikes for major front end failures?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »

The Wing, or Honda has the biggest ace up its sleeve. BMW can't even touch this ace. and thats reliability, inexpensive parts and service when it does need to be fixed. Go and take you Beemer for electrical work or some oil leak some place. Sorry about your luck. That relay or module is $600 and $600 to install and guess what, we can't get it, and we don't have the tools to take the thing apart.  Honda? go to you power sport store and order. And every tech can fix them, not to many specialty tools required. BMW all specialty tools.   From that perspective I would avoid BMW like the plague. And did you know BMW is recalling 150,000 bikes for major front end failures?

Of the several bikes around here I occasionally or semi-occasionally see in my garage one I don't see anymore is a Beemer one friend bought.  Saw it, fell in love it, drove it 4800 miles.  Then one Saturday brought it over to check over and tinker with a bit.  He had a few ideas for service and upgrades.  Nearly universally across the bike we couldn't work on it.  At least not beyond the superficial.  Needed expensive tools all over the place.  That experience by itself was enough to let me know I'm never driving/riding BMW.  If there was any doubt beyond the costs of parts were as extreme as suggested.  Their prices would make Harley blush.

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »

Yep I'm aware that according to the internet forums I should have had several major failures on the various BMWs I've ridden over 20 odd years - surely I'd have had at least one final drive failure or switchgear failure!  But alas no - nothing, nada, zip, zilch - fuel 'em and ride 'em, drop 'em in for tyres and servicing.  I don't dispute there are problems and recalls but I've only had one new or nearly new bike let me down recently; my CVO Street Glide (switchgear - wouldn't start).

As far as speciality tools are concerned you're surely aware that the rest of the world has moved to metric - so I had to buy a bunch of new tools to work on my HD....  I probably have the essentials in my garage for any routine servicing of a BMW, add a GS-911 diagnostic tool and I could do a bunch more including fluid change on the linked ABS.

Dealer servicing costs have not been vastly different between my BMWs and my Harleys.

As I said, I'm still disappointed, I was hoping for more and think the new wing (on paper) doesn't stack up well to the K1600. They are so very similar in spec but the K1600 trounces the Wing everywhere it matters.

I will take one out for a spin when they're available for demo - but I doubt it will result in a sale for Honda unless the riding position is superb and the engine sublime and the price competitive - so still a possibility...

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »

The only touring bike Honda has to compare itself with, is Honda. It doesn't have to compete with BMW, Harley,or Yamaha, just the last generation of Goldwing.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

The only touring bike Honda has to compare itself with, is Honda. It doesn't have to compete with BMW, Harley,or Yamaha, just the last generation of Goldwing.
[/qute]
Oh so true!
The "TAZMUN"

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »

Good point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »

That insular view is probably not the best approach to increasing market share - and I doubt that Honda's goal was that limited. That's not really a wise path for any motorcycle manufacturer to follow unless their USP and their sales volumes are unassailably strong. In the UK at least there does seem to be a good selection of unsold 2017 Goldwings kicking around

Honda do look at the competition and sometimes they go all out to beat them just to prove a point, that's what I was hoping for this time but it's not quite there. If I ride it and change my mind I'll happily eat humble pie. But seriously - a 21.5 litre fuel tank on a tourer..

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »

That insular view is probably not the best approach to increasing market share - and I doubt that Honda's goal was that limited. That's not really a wise path for any motorcycle manufacturer to follow unless their USP and their sales volumes are unassailably strong. In the UK at least there does seem to be a good selection of unsold 2017 Goldwings kicking around

Honda do look at the competition and sometimes they go all out to beat them just to prove a point, that's what I was hoping for this time but it's not quite there. If I ride it and change my mind I'll happily eat humble pie. But seriously - a 21.5 litre fuel tank on a tourer..

You may be right. However while Honda may "compete" with other makers, my belief is that they are doing so to learn more about what the touring rider or buyer wants than to replace a specific bike. Unlike an Ultra a GoldWing is not likely to be slammed, have apes installed, modified with a Big Wheel front end, get a boom-boom stereo installed, or have the engine diamond cut. What Honda delivers is what folks have been asking for.

As for "Beating" any other brand, that usually comes over time, and not in one specific bike. As we know next year the competition will only release "something better". The best any good company can do when they have a good product is to keep refining it and improving it. Honda seems to have done that.

Let's be brutally honest. Harley does what it does because it's limited to buyer expectation. By that I mean, to the untrained eye, a 2017 Ultra looks like a 2007 Ultra, which looks like a 1997 Ultra which looks like a,.....you get the point. If you took all those bikes and lined them up, then let someone who knows nothing about motorcycles glance at them, all they would see is roughly the same bike in different colors. They would not see the refinements. Honda does not have that issue. If they want to install a different type of fork they can. If they want to change the overall shape of the fairing and windshield they can. The most Harley has done to the shape of Batwing in over 50 years is add a mail slot. And that drew anger too.

But I could be wrong.

Powergod

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2016 Breakout
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »

Pretty nice, may look at a GW when I get much older!
If you can read this thank a teacher, if it's in English thank a soldier.

groupw

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: Silver/Silver '16 SERGU
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2017, 10:47:18 PM »

By that I mean, to the untrained eye, a 2017 Ultra looks like a 2007 Ultra, which looks like a 1997 Ultra which looks like a,.....you get the point.

..... that, is why we have Road Glides    :2vrolijk_21:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2017, 11:18:17 PM »

that's like saying rosie odonnel isn't ugly, she just doesn't look like a woman....

it looks like a motorcycle.  and it's ugly.

went to their website and checked out the 'reasonably' priced accessories, they don't seem any more reasonable than any hd accessories, some even higher priced.  course, they don't have things like exhaust, etc.  they do have stuff like armrests, saddlebag liners, speakers/amps, etc.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:31:19 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2017, 12:28:16 AM »

And to the untrained eye,… A 2017 road glide looks similar to a 2007 road glide which looks similar to a 1997 road glide,…

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »

Uhm, the 2011 and 2015 CVO road glide shared the same paint colors and design.  Almost impossible to tell them apart unless looking and the front of the fairing for the vent in the 15.

So most people could never tell them apart.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »

Uhm, the 2011 and 2015 CVO road glide shared the same paint colors and design.  Almost impossible to tell them apart unless looking and the front of the fairing for the vent in the 15.

That is why the 2009 SERG is so special.   :orange: :mango:

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »

What are those people smoking?
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 21 queries.