Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electrical Gremlins?  (Read 2275 times)

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
Electrical Gremlins?
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »

I have a question about my electrical system. It didn't look like it applied to electronic toys and such, so I am putting it in General. I went for a ride 3 weeks ago and put bike away, a 2008 SEUC3, and ignition was turned off. About a week later I put it on battery tender because I wasn't riding it very often. I went out to go for a ride a week later, the battery tender had a green light indicating the battery was charged. Turned on ignition and green neutral light came on with red oil light on dash, no cycling or fuel pump charging the injector, nothing...dead as a hammer. Battery looked good, did not check with meter. Checked fuses etc, and finally after checking everything I could think of, had Harley come and get it to have it fixed. In the shop the battery only had 5 volts and I know that was problem with it not starting. They did a draw test on it running and not running. Everything was in limits. I had them keep it over weekend and a few days after, Total 8 days and it started everytime. Finally brought it home and everything is fine. So Far. I asked if something could have gotten stuck. They tested the siren battery but it was still good and charged. This could drain battery if the siren battery is bad but it tested good also. So my question is: What else could have happened or is going bad to cause this? Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks
DJ

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Electrical Gremlins?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

:-\
I see that they indicated a (draw) test.  I'm guessing that is simillar or same as a load test for a battery.

If I read correctly,  you now have the bike back home but still have the same battery in it. :nixweiss:  You don't say if the battery has ever been replaced.........if not,  and that is the same battery that came with the bike in 2008 then you will soon be going thru the same scenario again.

Even with regular usage of a battery tender,  you are getting at about the outer limits of battery life after 4-5 years.  Can you go longer than that?  Yes,  but you're on borrowed time............

One other thing to check from time to time is the battery tender quick connector.  Try wiggling the connection and sometimes just doing that will cause the green to go back red/   and vice versa. :drink:

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:04:20 PM »

Battery has been replaced and only 2 years old. They tested the battery with load test and charging and drain but it holds the charge just fine. I am thinking something that has a draw on it was left on, the mechanic said something was left on. I know that the ignition was off and is off now. Seems to be fine. Something caused the battery to drain but I cannot nor can Harley figure out what it is or was.
DJ

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »

If you hand it on a tender, and it showed all good with green light.

But the battery only had 5 volts.

I would say that you tender has malfunctioned.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »

When I use the tender I always do a volt check just for my peace of mind that it is changing.

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
Electrical Gremlins?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »

Here is an update. Got bike back last week after was told Nothing wrong. Battery Tender? Left bike alone for a week to see if battery drained. Went out to ride and again battery dead. So as a test plugged in my tender again. Went out next morning and tender showed good and bike started. This leads one to believe battery is kaput. Just in case I bought an Optimate 3 Battery maintainer and put it on the bike. According to this unit battery is good. Still think battery is kaput. Will probably put a new one in very soon.
DJ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »

Here is an update. Got bike back last week after was told Nothing wrong. Battery Tender? Left bike alone for a week to see if battery drained. Went out to ride and again battery dead. So as a test plugged in my tender again. Went out next morning and tender showed good and bike started. This leads one to believe battery is kaput. Just in case I bought an Optimate 3 Battery maintainer and put it on the bike. According to this unit battery is good. Still think battery is kaput. Will probably put a new one in very soon.
DJ

If the dealership didn't do a battery load test AND a current draw test, then they really didn't do anything but blow you off.  Do you have a voltmeter, even a simple cheap VOM will suffice.  If so, select DC volts and attach the leads across the battery terminals.  Note the voltage (normal for a fully charged Harley AGM battery is about 12.8V), then watch the meter as you crank the engine.  If the voltage drops immediately below 9 volts, the battery is toast.  This isn't a real by-the-book load test, but it's close enough to locate an obviously defective battery. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »

Remove and clean the cable to the battery, locate the ground wire to frame and clean it also. This may help getting the battery charged.
At the dealership the bike was in a climate controlled area, what is the temp for the bike when at home?
A weak battery won't hold a chrarge very long in colder temps.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »

So if parked and not on tender the battery is weak. If connected it stays charged....you have a draw on it. Something is on.  Aftermarket what? Lights, Garmin charger (yes they draw even when not plugged in) heated grips or seat hooked straight to battery (disconnect all aftermarket stuff first). Then put amp meter in series with the negative lead of battery. Any reading?
Will

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »

The dealership did a load test,  Current draw with ignition on and off. Nothing showed up as unusual, I thought something was stuck on but nothing I could find, Bike is basically stock when coming to aftermarket. And everything id pure HD. With all I can find it acts like battery is kaput. Leaving new tender on for a week and then going to leave it off for  week, Terminals clean and tight. Gremlins beware, Halloween s over!!!
DJ

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »

When you say no aftermarket only HD makes me think you have some extra electrical stuff.???
If not, then battery is bad. 

If you do have add on electrical items ... could be the extra items or wiring to them.
Will

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »

When I say pure HD that means that all parts are HD and put on or were part of CVO package.I talked to Wayne, the mechanic, about potential troubles and the siren battery is usually the culprit. This battery checked out okay. Again all leads back to the battery. Time for a new one I think.
DJ

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.