Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley Re-Introduces the Sport Glide  (Read 2764 times)

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
Harley Re-Introduces the Sport Glide
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »

Harley released a "new" softail today called the Sport Glide.

https://motorcycles.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/2018/softail/sport-glide.html
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

ultrarider123

Re: Harley Re-Introduces the Sport Glide
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »

Not bad.  With the inverted front fork, that front fender mount is you-gly.  Interesting approach to the "mini" bat wing removable faring.  Without seeing it in person and just with the pictures/video, to me it seems a better option and design than the Dyna Switchback that didn't sell. 

I'm over the flat paint options.  Motorscooters are supposed to be shiny under your heinie.  That's just my opinion, by the way.

Opinion disclaimer:  In no way am I disparaging anyone that approves or has a better idea of the design, engineering or application of the flat, denim style paint.  I'm not promoting shiny paint in my comment nor am I stating that flat, denim style paint is inferior or otherwise worse looking than any other paint.  I understand that there are those with different opinions than mine on this paint subject and (while you are wrong) I accept that you may consider me wrong, too (but you're wrong...). 

Please just consider the fact that there are differences between the shiny and flat, denim style paint and we can agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder (but that flat paint is still yu-gly)..... ;D :P :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :huepfenjump3:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:25:56 PM by Haird »

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

This ought to be the standard disclaimer for every member......

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »

Not bad.  With the inverted front fork, that front fender mount is you-gly.  Interesting approach to the "mini" bat wing removable faring.  Without seeing it in person and just with the pictures/video, to me it seems a better option and design than the Dyna Switchback that didn't sell. 

I'm over the flat paint options.  Motorscooters are supposed to be shiny under your heinie.  That's just my opinion, by the way.

Opinion disclaimer:  In no way am I disparaging anyone that approves or has a better idea of the design, engineering or application of the flat, denim style paint.  I'm not promoting shiny paint in my comment nor am I stating that flat, denim style paint is inferior or otherwise worse looking than any other paint.  I understand that there are those with different opinions than mine on this paint subject and (while you are wrong), I accept that you may consider me wrong, too (but you're wrong...). 

Please just consider the fact that there are differences between the shiny and flat, denim style paint and we can agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder (but that flat paint is still yu-gly)..... ;D :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :huepfenjump3:
"beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

Fixed that for ya.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »

"beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

Fixed that for ya.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

And the more beers I have the prettier she gets.  Especially toward closing time.
 :oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:33:27 PM »

If Harley wanted my opinion, and they obviously don't, I would tell them to re-introduce the Electra Glide Sport from the very early 80's. This bike was a stripped down Electra Glide with forward controls in the place of foot pegs. Take a friggin Road King Special and put a detachable fairing without a radio or anything on it, upgrade the forks and shocks like they did on this Softail, and they would sell a bunch. Stick a 114 or 117 in it and they might sell me one, after they get the sumping and transmission oil transfer fixed.
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »

Looks like it could be a fun bike.  I like the twisted cherry on it. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:15:21 AM »

If Harley wanted my opinion, and they obviously don't, I would tell them to re-introduce the Electra Glide Sport from the very early 80's. This bike was a stripped down Electra Glide with forward controls in the place of foot pegs. Take a friggin Road King Special and put a detachable fairing without a radio or anything on it, upgrade the forks and shocks like they did on this Softail, and they would sell a bunch. Stick a 114 or 117 in it and they might sell me one, after they get the sumping and transmission oil transfer fixed.

or

If every year they would select a couple of models and trick them out with a hand custom paint job.  Lots of custom chrome components that are only available on these bikes. Modified motor that developes best in class TQ/HP and reliability.  Industry leading sound system with cutting edge integrated Infotainment/GPS/BT system. World class suspension and custom odd sized wheels so that the tires can only be purchased from one vender. Custom leather seat that complements the curves of the bike like a greek god and goddess spooning each other while on their honeymoon. An exhaust system that is loping, ground shaking, “DFWM” rumble at idle.  Then with a twist of the throttle, awakens the big bore Vtwin like a Screamin Eagle, producing a thunderous roaring rumble that every man, woman and child within ear shot can’t help but stop and take notice....Dog will bark and nearby car alarms will sound in applause.

Those that would buy these bikes would gather in the mountains and stare aimlessly at each other machine while lovingly detailing their chariots.  Laughter will echo throughout the Valley as we share our wounderous adventures while consuming many gallons of specially prepared assortment of perfectly distilled beverages.

Goats will come down from the mountain top and observe this spectacle from their perch. The near by Elk will begin beguiling because once again these glorious machines have gathered.  Though it’s never be confirmed, folklore claims that during this gathering, Big Foot is alway near and roams the parking lot at night, providing security for these machines.

This would be awesome and I’d buy one

Cat

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »

or

If every year they would select a couple of models and trick them out with a hand custom paint job.  Lots of custom chrome components that are only available on these bikes. Modified motor that developes best in class TQ/HP and reliability.  Industry leading sound system with cutting edge integrated Infotainment/GPS/BT system. World class suspension and custom odd sized wheels so that the tires can only be purchased from one vender. Custom leather seat that complements the curves of the bike like a greek god and goddess spooning each other while on their honeymoon. An exhaust system that is loping, ground shaking, “DFWM” rumble at idle.  Then with a twist of the throttle, awakens the big bore Vtwin like a Screamin Eagle, producing a thunderous roaring rumble that every man, woman and child within ear shot can’t help but stop and take notice....Dog will bark and nearby car alarms will sound in applause.

Those that would buy these bikes would gather in the mountains and stare aimlessly at each other machine while lovingly detailing their chariots.  Laughter will echo throughout the Valley as we share our wounderous adventures while consuming many gallons of specially prepared assortment of perfectly distilled beverages.

Goats will come down from the mountain top and observe this spectacle from their perch. The near by Elk will begin beguiling because once again these glorious machines have gathered.  Though it’s never be confirmed, folklore claims that during this gathering, Big Foot is alway near and roams the parking lot at night, providing security for these machines.

This would be awesome and I’d buy one

Cat

Didn't they used to do that in York PA?  I remember those bikes.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

mark

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »

With the mini fairing and bags, reminds me of the Dyna Road Queen.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »

Can't know for sure from just the pics but the bars look a little low/shallow for that wrist angle.  Bet something somewhere would end up aching.  Don't hate it for a Softail though.

Powergod

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2016 Breakout
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »

Saw one in my local dealer yesterday, sat on it but with sub 40 temps don’t take it around the block.  Not bad looking felt well balance, the fairing is obviously for show, or it looks that way to me.  The bags are side load and single lever release. Thought it interesting the release lever is bright red like a mail box flag, wonder how many bags will depart the bikes during riding?
If you can read this thank a teacher, if it's in English thank a soldier.

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 05:41:40 PM »

Our two local dealers each received a black one in the last week and I agree with the earlier comments about the bike. Harley did say that they were coming out with new models and I guess this is one of them.

I also got to see the new low rider and I thought that it looked pretty good with the retro AMF style logo on the tank.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 11:22:25 PM »

I have never unstood the the idea of a “sport” glide with forward controls. Why not mid controls? That is my reason for lack of interest.

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 22 queries.