Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zumo 660 just not making it for me!  (Read 1577 times)

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3
Zumo 660 just not making it for me!
« on: November 07, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »

On my 2012 convertible it comes with the Zumo 660, it is basically worthless!  My Samsung Galaxy 7 is much better in all regards for GPS and music!  I would like to keep the original speakers and fairing, along with the mount....is there a better mount I could use, and if so, how do you like it?  As far as I can tell, when removing the Zumo and mount, there seems to be a 3 hole triangle piece that remains. Are there any modifications for this application?  I have been looking at this product, but do not know if it would work?

https://www.leadermotorcycle.com/collections/windshield-mounts/products/ecaddy-slide-phone-mount-windshield-chrome

Thanks for any help or insight!
2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Zumo 660 just not making it for me!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »

I liked my Road Tech 660, find it much superior to any phone for daily GPS use. I do have a Samsung as well which I tried using when I first received it as a GPS but the cost of data made this not feasible and it was more difficult to see for my old eyes not counting the lack of water-resistance that the 660 had. To each his own.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »

I liked my Road Tech 660, find it much superior to any phone for daily GPS use. I do have a Samsung as well which I tried using when I first received it as a GPS but the cost of data made this not feasible and it was more difficult to see for my old eyes not counting the lack of water-resistance that the 660 had. To each his own.

I agree.  Being waterproof is a big plus, but another thing to consider is that a cell phone relies on cell service to operate the maps.  Get out into the mountains or in the boonies, and your cell phone GPS is just about worthless.  I would much prefer the Road Tech 660 over a cell phone or even the Boom Nav system built into the new bike.     
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »

Google maps now lets you download map data so it still works when you are offline.  You just need plenty of memory and a high speed connection to download them.  You can pick how big an area and therefore how many meg it stores.

You can for sure load tomorrows maps tonight in the hotel room.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »

Update....  I have kept my Zumo 660, I did purchase a new Ram handlebar mount, and my Galaxy 7 phone works fine on it....so I have the best of both worlds!  Santa also brought me some nice Bluetooth ear buds!
2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »

Update....  I have kept my Zumo 660, I did purchase a new Ram handlebar mount, and my Galaxy 7 phone works fine on it....so I have the best of both worlds!  Santa also brought me some nice Bluetooth ear buds!

Looks like you chose best, and you have Bluetooth.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:40:10 PM »

IMO the Garmin units are the best GPS units anywhere including any vehicle stock GPS system. I actually think most stock GPS systems that come on most cars are terrible, I prefer using my iPhone when in my car with cell service though I still think the Garmin works better than a iPhone. I love being able to put 4 data points on the screen plus the 2 static ones at once.
Alan

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.