Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: SERTPS  (Read 3280 times)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
Re: SERTPS
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »

Feel free to do whatever you want.  I didn't come here to argue with you or anyone else, I just stated a fact for those who weren't aware.

To some people it is also perfectly acceptable to buy pirated first run movie DVD's out of a guys trunk at the local flea market or shopping center.  Since I'm not in law enforcement I don't worry about it, but that doesn't mean I buy such items or encourage others to do so.  Some people have ethical values, some do not.  I know which category I fall in, everyone else is free to do as they please.  I'm most assuredly not confused when it comes to this.

Jerry

X2
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

CJB2011

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »

AMEN Jerry. You are right on point. As a retired LEO, I find more people are on the right side of the law. LEO have more things to deal with than this. Thanks for the information

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »

Jerry
We occasionally see the owner of a write-off selling the SE tuner with the ecm
No modification to the vci required
Is this illegal ?
It is certainly not the single use you believe is intended.
I guess all of those parts in the bike were intended for single use but they may all be recycled legally

What about the owner of a salvage shop selling parts from a wreck ?
Is he bound by any licence conditions the original owner may have been party too ?
Many of those parts sold may be modified and re-used including vci's

Many of these SE tuners are being used to upgrade the tune and performance in late model bikes in breach of EPA regulations.
Its OK as long as you use a new SE tuner and not a hacked one ?

The MoCo sold SE slip-ons and mufflers 'for off-road use only' for many years knowing they were being used illegally but that was OK because the MoCo was making a dollar out of it ?

Illegal modifications to HD parts ?
How many remove the catalytic converters from mufflers and header pipes to improve performance ?

Is your bike still stock Jerry ?
You still running factory AFR ?

You have any friends who have modified their intake and exhaust and no longer comply with EPA ?
These pages are full of details of those projects.

You better get them all back on the right side of the law so you can sleep at night.

Any kind of modification is OK except for modifying a SE vci for a second use because the MoCo will miss out on a dollar ?
Bikers have been making and modifying their own parts for years rather than buying from the MoCo

Your principles are confused Jerry.

no, i don't see his principles as confused at all.  for one thing, you're comparing apples to grapes.  the tuner is married to that ecm.  if the ecm is sold with the tuner, not a breach of ethics.  if you can't tell the difference between 'hacking' a se tuner and someone buying a used luggage rack, then you've got bigger problems.

as far as seeing it in writing, all one has to do is to look at the se catalog or the instruction sheet for the tuner.  i've included a screen shot for you....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 11:05:19 PM »

Maybe, just maybe, but not likely, looking at the same question from another and more selfish perspective would make a difference.  Yet another reason I won't buy from someone who is obviously (or, worse, trying to be subtle about it) doing something they should not be with a product is that someone who would do that in the front end of a transaction is exactly the type who would lie to, evade warranty with or just outright take the money and run from a customer at the back end of a transaction.  You're just begging to get screwed.

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »

OK
I haven't seen that attachment before
interesting
the notice seems as much a warning about the limited use of the vci and not specifically a legal threat
and it is wrong in fact
the vci locks to the ecm not the vehicle
the vci can be used with another vehicle if the ecm is transplanted to the vehicle

I suspect the threat of legal action is something perpetuated by Dealers to discourage tinkering and protect their sales
and it seems to have its desired effect on the sheep

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.