Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Im thinking about new rear shocks  (Read 7213 times)

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
Re: Im thinking about new rear shocks
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »

I'm trying to decide as well.  Was thinking SS at first, but then added Ohlin 2 Adjustable and #3-3's to the mix.

Prices I've found range from under $600 to $750 for these three shocks, so not a huge difference.

What is the time to re-build milage on average?  Anyone know about approx cost?  Not clear if SS does this at no cost, so I'll have to call them to find out.

Really wondering if the ride will be much different between the three I've listed. 

Here's my understanding of the basic differences: I think the Ohlins 2-ADJ has the most stroke length of the group.  The 3-3 has the separated oil/gas.  The SS also is separated with a 3" stroke, so would be like the 3-3?

Adjustability is also a question.  Looks like the SS requires the saddlebags to be loosened and tilted out to reach the adjuster.   On the Ohlins it looks like you can reach down under the bags and turn the adjuster.  Is that hard to do?  Do the turn easily?

Tough choice..... any input is appreciated.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:29 AM »

A lot to consider.....but also look at SS has a 30 day complete refund to consider as well as a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.  Those are both huge deciding factors IMO.

I have a broken foot so I'm on hold with my decision.....but at this point, I believe I'm going to go with SS.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »

I'm trying to decide as well.  Was thinking SS at first, but then added Ohlin 2 Adjustable and #3-3's to the mix.

Prices I've found range from under $600 to $750 for these three shocks, so not a huge difference.

What is the time to re-build milage on average?  Anyone know about approx cost?  Not clear if SS does this at no cost, so I'll have to call them to find out.

Really wondering if the ride will be much different between the three I've listed. 

Here's my understanding of the basic differences: I think the Ohlins 2-ADJ has the most stroke length of the group.  The 3-3 has the separated oil/gas.  The SS also is separated with a 3" stroke, so would be like the 3-3?

Adjustability is also a question.  Looks like the SS requires the saddlebags to be loosened and tilted out to reach the adjuster.   On the Ohlins it looks like you can reach down under the bags and turn the adjuster.  Is that hard to do?  Do the turn easily?

Tough choice..... any input is appreciated.
I have the 3-3 shocks on mine. You might be able to adjust the rebound without removing the bags but no way to adjust the preload with removing them and using a tool after backing off the nylon set screw

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »

I have the 159 s you can turn the knob on the bottom but cant adjust anything else without taking the bags off first the knob is not that hard to turn

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »

Good info here.  Doing searching for rear shocks now to replace the standard air shocks.  Had a Street Glide that started with air, went to Progressive and the Ohlins.  From what read here seems that can not go wrong with the Ohlins again other than the price.  Is it even worth considering the HD Premium shocks?  The tech that works on the bike raves about these but this might be a biased opinion also!

"The Ball & Chain" and I really like the HD Premium stuff on the '09 SERG,,, properly adjusted, they give a good balance of handling and ride quality for over 51k  miles so far,,, When these wear out I'll probably replace with the same...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »

"The Ball & Chain" and I really like the HD Premium stuff on the '09 SERG,,, properly adjusted, they give a good balance of handling and ride quality for over 51k  miles so far,,, When these wear out I'll probably replace with the same...

Ed, are you running 12" or 13" HD Premium shocks?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »

Leaning toward getting the Ohlins since had them before but this time will install myself.  Is the setup difficult and can it be done with only one person?  Have not searched the Ohlins site yet, is there a preferred model for the Road Glide Ultra?

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 10:19:29 PM »

Leaning toward getting the Ohlins since had them before but this time will install myself.  Is the setup difficult and can it be done with only one person?  Have not searched the Ohlins site yet, is there a preferred model for the Road Glide Ultra?

You will need a helper to measure while your sitting on the back to correctly setting the sag, there are multiple videos on YouTube that should give you the general idea.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 12:10:24 AM »

I used Howard's method with the wire tie on the piston rod.   worked just took a while to get it done
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »

Another thing to consider is your normal rider + passenger + gear weight. If it's 400 lbs or more that is the max setting for the HD premium shocks and they are effectively no longer adjustable. Not sure what the max setting is on the newest version of the HD Premium as far as weight goes.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.