Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fueling lifters  (Read 6265 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Fueling lifters
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 05:47:53 PM »

The Topline-Hylift lifters have features the Delphi / S&S doesn't.  Consistent sizing on the OD, slow bleed, axle oiling.
Price is less than half of the premiums.
Another forum phenomena the perception that if one product is good everything else is junk. No so.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:50:54 PM by HD Street Performance »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 05:54:43 PM »

My favorite part of forums....lack of agreement. One post says they are better than most, another says they are the same as others, then the worst thing ever post.  So then we have to weigh each opinion.  Who knows the most, owns a shop, posts the most, is the tallest?  Lastly we have to decide what to buy/use/install.  Which is usually just the most popular item with two technical posts and a bunch of "yeah I used them with peanut butter and it was much better than jelly."
 dont mean to offend....sorry if I did.

Just like anything else in life,,, gather information, make your own decisions...

What one likes,,, another may not  :nixweiss:

Personally, I've gotten some great info from the Forums, and met some fine folks along the way...

You want to find disagreement (or a the most varied opinions) check out an Oil Thread or a Cam Thread...LMFAO ;D

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:59:27 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 06:03:19 PM »

Been part of motorcycle forums since 2001. I figured out Mobil 1 is best for S&S parts but Amzoil is too slippery and causes bearing flat spots....
Will

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »

Been part of motorcycle forums since 2001. I figured out Mobil 1 is best for S&S parts but Amzoil is too slippery and causes bearing flat spots....
lmfao   :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 06:37:47 PM »

lmfao   :2vrolijk_21:

Both of them will leak too.  Because their molecules are too flat for round seals. 

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »

I forgot about that. Been putting Honda seal all over the primary trying to stop it. Damm ball bearings
Will

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »

I forgot about that. Been putting Honda seal all over the primary trying to stop it. Damm ball bearings

Referencing the Honda seals I would say something about how all those Japanese molecules seal alike. But that would be racist and, therefore, wrong. 

TIMINATOR

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 12:21:48 PM »

Travel limiters are irrelevant if you adjust the lifters UP a half turn from the bottom. That's enough to take up any heat growth in the cylinders and heads, and yet limit the bleed down that ALL hydraulic lifters have. Lifter bleed down saps horsepower. Of course you need to have adjustable pushrods, and you should have those if you are trying to make any reasonable HP anyway. JMHO   TIMINATOR

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »

What if the valves float and there is .170" of plunger pump up. That is a quarter inch + of valve action.

MCE

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »

What if the valves float and there is .170" of plunger pump up. That is a quarter inch + of valve action.

If the pushrods are already adjusted so the plunger is all the way out  (less a slight preload) that's not
really possible. Additionally; the only way a lifter "pumps up" is when the spring can't control the valve train.
The lifter pumps up when the lifter comes off the cam lobe.

So if your lifters are "pumping up" your springs can't handle the rpm/cam profile. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:47:34 PM by MCE Performance »

MCE

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 08:55:35 PM »

Valve "float" (inadequate spring pressure) will destroy the lifter bearings faster than anything else.
Like a missed shift at full rpm

TIMINATOR

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »

Valve float was largely a phenomenon of the 1970s when computer generated fast acting lobes started to appear,  and Spintrons and high speed photography hadn't caught on yet (or been able to be affordable for the small guys). Spring surge, "fuss" points, and harmonics were not much understood yet, by the small cam grinders anyway. Their "solution" to a misunderstood problem was to make the lifters bleed off quicker. Back then when lobe design had eclipsed spring design, float was common. In the last 20+ years we only see evidence of float mebbie once a year, if that, and almost never from the major cam companies products, and usually the end result of a "mix and match" approach to parts purchase, and desire to save a few bucks.
Using the springs and retainers from the same company, of the same set of parts, designed for each other, and employing the correct installed height, in the proper designed for operating range, pretty well guarantees satisfactory  results. Small companies that don't have all of the required bazillion dollar research departments are the ones that have surge, harmonic, and float issues.
The small companies that only grind cams, and buy others ancillary parts from wherever is cheapest, are companies we stay away from. Do you really think that some small company that grinds a small amount of cams, and has claimed to have "re-invented the wheel" has anywhere the amount of resources to investigate all properties of their own, or everyone else's parts?
Why do you think that the large companies are not following the lead of these small guys? Even I have a cam analyzer, an inexpensive one is less than $5 grand, so I can analyze cam profiles. With one of those anyone can analyze every degree (of the 720 degrees in the event) to a 10 thousandth of an inch and tenth of a degree. So there is a reason that the big guys are not copying what the small guys are doing, maybe the profile makes power, but at the expense of valve train stability or longevity. Its the same deal with the header companies that claim to make more power than everybody else, all it takes to find out what is happening there, is a ruler, dial veneer caliper and a dyno.
As far as hydraulic roller cams are concerned, I was the unwitting "guinea Pig" of a then large companies new hydraulic roller cam program in the early 1980s. I figured out their problem in a couple of weeks on my own, and when confronted, they admitted their errors. Search this and other boards for "hydraulic roller lifter issues".
 Trust me. The big guys all know what the small guys are doing, but the reverse can't be said. JMHO    TIMINATOR
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.