Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: The Coming War on Driving  (Read 3294 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
The Coming War on Driving
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

Interesting article about the coming to fruition of autonomous vehicles.  The article is about cars but it certainly has tie ins with motorcycles.  Kind of scary and antithetical to what we enjoy today.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455018/autonomous-vehicles-will-spark-government-efforts-ban-driving

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: The Coming War on Driving
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:31:13 PM »

The article is skewed.

Was there a war on horses and a surrey with a fringe on top? Those modes of transportation are still in use. Was there a war on revolvers when the magazine fed auto loaders came? Was there a war on row boats and sail boats when motorboats came?

Folks need to distinguish the differences. The proliferation of the dvd/dvr was not a war on the vcr. Fuel injection is not a war on carburetors. The existence and practice of non Christian religions is not an attack on Christianity. The leaf blower is not an attack on the rake.

Autonomous cars are the future. However I think there will also be the option to choose not to have it, or as a choice.  You can get in your car and drive it yourself, or if you’re too drunk, you can choose to have a drive you home. I’d like it for senior citizens, who can get in the car and have it drive them to the doctor for their appointments.

Otherwise it’s “They can have my Ford when they pry my cold dead hands off it”,.....lol,

But I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »

Yes it is sad to say that society changes all the time some things good and other things bad. In my opinion, problem is travel has become such a hassle with traffic tie ups and such that people care more about the destination than the experience of the trip. When is the last time you saw a major ad for any car, truck or M/C for that matter that sold itself on the joy of driving and the performance and handling features? It seems now that the average buyer wants to know more about all the electronic bells and whistles and how his smart phone ties in with the transportation and mega entertainment system.
For the sake of convenience and immediate gratification we have already given up much freedom of movement and anonymity by things like smart phone location tracking, E-Z Pass tolling, highway and security cameras everywhere, internet cookies tracking you browser histories, not to mention also credit card tracking etc.
I feel the days of enjoying the "driving experience" is dwindling and getting around is going to be more of a basic transportation thing that people want to get from point a to point b without the "worries" of driving to get there.
I do hate to see this long transition period though since many deaths, injuries and property damage will occur until true accurate and close to 100% safety is reached in the automated system. Now we have many accidents caused by human error from the various forms of distracted driving and when the "machines take over" we will see many deaths ,injuries and damage due to mechanical failures or programing errors etc.
Just hope one of my family members are not one of the victims......

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »

Ironhorse you may be right on somethings as no true war will probably be declared on self driving but I bet there will be a strong movement to get the old cars and other vehicles off the road unless they can be updated with all the electronic sensors and communication gear to "talk" to the newer smart cars. They will use the rational that it would be dangerous for the old motorcycles or cars to be on the road since they wouldn't show up on the new car's sensors and accident avoidance systems.
Same as today, you can own a horse but don't even think of riding one on the Interstate system or most major roads...

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »

Mark, I don't know if the article is skewed or not.  It is the author's opinion I guess and I don't necessarily buy into to it 100%.  I posted the link because I thought it was interesting.  In any case I doubt any of us today will have to worry about it.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »

I can see it now...
"Gov of California mandates all residents to purchase and use only autonomous vehicles over the next five years. Reasons given ,to allow residents to more efficiently use their social media accounts while driving and to allow the government to more actively enforce the weekly limits on miles driven per individual via the cars onboard computer/gps system"

Bet they have already given this thought

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »

I don't think autonomous cars is a conspiracy to control what we drive anymore than when the on board computers for fuel management and safety was installed in cars in the 90's. Back then there were folks who thought that computer driven ABS, fuel injection and electronic ignition meant you had less control of the car. They didn't need some dang fool computer to tell them what to set the mixture and timing at.

If your worried about being tracked, then get rid of your debit and credit cards.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »

Autonomous vehicles have their limitations. Will you see a driverless car on the Alpine Loop outside Silverton, CO in the Rockies? Will you see them on race tracks or drag strips? Will you see them as the primary vehicle to go off-road or on dirt roads in the middle of the desert? So maybe our primary transportation needs will be filled by autonomous vehicles like cars, buses, and trains but I don't think they'll end up replacing our recreation vehicles.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:18:56 PM »

Government controls the roads, the rules, laws, and vehicles allowed on the roads.  Not far fetched to guess that at some point "driverless" vehicles will be the norm.  We are already in the early stages of driverless vehicles.  As to how far this goes & how draconian one's view of this is subjective at this point, but considering what government tends to do - individual liberties vs "collectively better for society" is easy to draw the lines to a driverless age. 

Not advocating this development, not a fan necessarily, but to get from Point A to Point B while taking a nap or otherwise not actually driving will be preferred by many at some point.

Agree with Simon, rec vehicles would be the exception.  Also expect these to be safety enhanced vs what we have today. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 09:28:35 AM »

I am not a smaaht man but I do know there are smaaht people out there that can hack anything computer related.  Folks can hack the car computers now and break into them, cause breaks/steering/etc. to operate opposite of design.  Heck, our government can't keep our security clearance information safe....what happens with some 10 year old hacks into the central brain that's "controlling" all those antonymous cars?  I'll keep driving my own thank-ya-very-much.

Interesting article though.  Progress is a given and things change whether we like it or not but it's good to know that old VCR I have can still play even though the picture/sound is better on my DVD and I can still choose which one I want to view.... :2vrolijk_21:

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »

The other obstacle I've heard that will be faced by autonomous cars is harassment. Yes, harassment. People jumping out in front of cars to test whether or not they will sense and stop the vehicle. Also, simply blocking these cars so they can't move around freely. In a world (or perhaps just country) where everyone is suing everyone else it will be interesting to watch behaviors and technology change over time.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 12:49:37 PM »

The other obstacle I've heard that will be faced by autonomous cars is harassment. Yes, harassment. People jumping out in front of cars to test whether or not they will sense and stop the vehicle. Also, simply blocking these cars so they can't move around freely. In a world (or perhaps just country) where everyone is suing everyone else it will be interesting to watch behaviors and technology change over time.

Maybe new technology will be developed to tell the car to just speed up when that happens.  Would eliminate a segment of the population that would be actually taking the steps (no pun intended) to eliminate itself willingly.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 07:06:02 AM »

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-03/brain-waves-will-make-nissan-s-car-of-the-future-a-better-ride

Drivers wear a skullcap that reads their brain waves.
I wonder what happens when said driver is looking at some hottie in a short skirt walking along side the road?
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 10:17:29 AM »

I wonder what happens when said driver is looking at some hottie in a short skirt walking along side the road?

The car goes straight up into the air?  :nixweiss:

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »

Or the headrest automatically comes forward slapping the driver in the head saving his wife the trouble of doing it herself.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »

People jumping out in front of cars to test whether or not they will sense and stop the vehicle.
One way to drain the shallow end of the gene pool.   ;)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 07:14:15 PM »

I bet there will be a strong movement to get the old cars and other vehicles off the road unless they can be updated with all the electronic sensors and communication gear to "talk" to the newer smart cars. They will use the rational that it would be dangerous for the old motorcycles or cars to be on the road since they wouldn't show up on the new car's sensors and accident avoidance systems.
Same as today, you can own a horse but don't even think of riding one on the Interstate system or most major roads...
Agree.  So how will we transport our fun vehicles to the fun area if we can't drive them on the road?  Or even take our bikes for a ride?

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »

Agree.  So how will we transport our fun vehicles to the fun area if we can't drive them on the road?  Or even take our bikes for a ride?

Very Large UAV

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 01:35:07 AM »

Very Large UAV
LOL.  That would be a fun vehicle too.   :)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.