Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Self Cleaning Litter Boxes --- Anyone Have Any Experience?  (Read 2952 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Self Cleaning Litter Boxes --- Anyone Have Any Experience?
« on: December 31, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »

No, that's not a metaphor.  Though I just realized it could be (  ??? ) .  I'm really asking about cat litter boxes though.

Anyone here have any experience (positive or negative) with a CVO of litter boxes?  Thinking of getting the cats a belated Christmas present (so I don't have to clean after them as much).  The systems and prices vary dramatically though.  Some are obviously a crock.  Others harder to judge without first hand experience.

So, anyone ever put their hand in the self cleaning litter box question?

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: Self Cleaning Litter Boxes --- Anyone Have Any Experience?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 01:19:15 AM »

No experience with one personally, however my neighbor owns one and her cat is scared to death of it so it's just a expensive,non self cleaning litter box now if you get my drift.

Never know how an animal will react to something like that. Are the cats skittish at all?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »

Are the cats skittish at all?

No they're not.  But even if you were a calm soul it's difficult to imagine how one would react if you were squatting there enjoying a morning constitutional, reading the kitty newspaper or playing on your kitty phone and, all the sudden, your toilet suddenly became a Transformer and went all Bumblebee on your ass.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »

My sister-in-law had one. Not sure how much she spent on it but when they would go out of town my wife and I would go by their house every day to check on the cats the the self cleaning one was always jammed or constantly running. Kathy and I have 2 cats and we have never thought about one of those. We do have one cat that would be afraid of it and the other would try and play with it if we got one.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »

Do not have a cat, do not want a cat.  Any litter box I get would be self cleaning because - no cat. 

Also, if I had a cat, I would give it away.  To gypsies, some random guy, a wandering minstrel, a circus clown - anybody. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »

Do not have a cat, do not want a cat.  Any litter box I get would be self cleaning because - no cat. 

Also, if I had a cat, I would give it away.  To gypsies, some random guy, a wandering minstrel, a circus clown - anybody.

I think his dog broke into Iski's CVOHarley account.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:57:43 AM »

Two cats here.  One named Lincoln. Full name Lincoln Garfield McKinley.  Named after assassinated Presidents for whom the fact of their assassination/perceived martyrdom did not artificially raise their historical significance.  The other cat is named Dog.

Dog is actually my niece's cat.  Dog stayed when the niece and my sibling moved out.  Lincoln is 15.  Old f$%*er has never been outside.  Refuses.  Still acts like she's five.  She was the dog's cat.  She's outlived that dog and then another.  She's also an idiopathic barfer.  That barfing, by the way, started a HUGE thread here many years ago with lots of illustrations submitted by myself and others.  Then, after a year or so, that thread was barfed on moderated.

But I digress.  So still no positive reviews of the animatronic animal box.  So far I'm saving a good chunk of change here.  Even more when you consider that after some fancy assed litter box came home you know it would need pipes, better breather, probably a TTS tune....

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:16:49 PM »

Great minds think alike.  :2vrolijk_21:

Toss them out in the barn to keep the mice away from the bikes.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 01:42:48 PM »

I think his dog broke into Iski's CVOHarley account.

My dog does not like cats.  She growls at them - from a safe distance.  ;D

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »

Two cats here.  One named Lincoln. Full name Lincoln Garfield McKinley.  Named after assassinated Presidents for whom the fact of their assassination/perceived martyrdom did not artificially raise their historical significance.  The other cat is named Dog.

Dog is actually my niece's cat.  Dog stayed when the niece and my sibling moved out.  Lincoln is 15.  Old f$%*er has never been outside.  Refuses.  Still acts like she's five.  She was the dog's cat.  She's outlived that dog and then another.  She's also an idiopathic barfer.  That barfing, by the way, started a HUGE thread here many years ago with lots of illustrations submitted by myself and others.  Then, after a year or so, that thread was barfed on moderated.

But I digress.  So still no positive reviews of the animatronic animal box.  So far I'm saving a good chunk of change here.  Even more when you consider that after some fancy assed litter box came home you know it would need pipes, better breather, probably a TTS tune....

If you do end up with an automated, self cleaning, hypoallergenic, organic, sustainable, and GMO free litter box, Sreamin' Eagle litter is the best crap absorber by far.  The MoCo has many, many years of experience in producing massive amounts of crap, and the SE litter absorbs & covers up more crap than any other litter on the market. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:  On the farm they lived outside, ate mice & rodents and whatever scraps we threw to them.  When there were too many of them, some would "mysteriously" disappear.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »

So still no positive reviews of the animatronic animal box.  So far I'm saving a good chunk of change here.  Even more when you consider that after some fancy assed litter box came home you know it would need pipes, better breather, probably a TTS tune....

I've always found the best way to clean a litter box is to make that the wife's job. Of course, you do have to kick the wife every now and then.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »

I figured there'd be a bunch of dog lovers responding to this post. And I have considered the merits of a dog in the past. Then on the way home from a short ride today I spied a neighbor walking her dog. Cute little furry beast. But I also noticed that the owner was stooping over and had a plastic bag wrapped around her free hand that was outreached, digging in a neighbor's yard.

Goes to show, whether your pets crap is in a box of litter or your neighbors' lawn, you still got to deal with a stinky mess.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 12:14:40 AM »

We have a regular litter box for Harley. It does have a dome lid. I usually clean it twice a day as he doesn't like to burry his crap.
Never tried the auto-clean box as it looked like a lot of work to clean the catch all tray. Harley is an indoor only cat although he does go out on the back screened porch.

Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 12:40:39 AM »

We have a regular litter box for Harley. It does have a dome lid. I usually clean it twice a day as he doesn't like to burry his crap.
Never tried the auto-clean box as it looked like a lot of work to clean the catch all tray. Harley is an indoor only cat although he does go out on the back screened porch.

Mike
 :drink:

The cats here have a dome lid too. Have thought about a top loader to avoid even more tracking of litter out on their feet.  The dogs have never shown any interest in cat cookies but I don't want to tempt fate.  Afraid a top entry litter box and dogs tall enough to look down in might invite the interest.  Plus the cats might consider a certain loss of privacy if the dogs could look down on them as they were tending to business.

I'd still like to hook up motion sensitive LEDs in the litter box and maybe a siren too.  Even I know it's a bad idea though....

ultrarider123

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »

My sister-in-law had one. Not sure how much she spent on it but when they would go out of town my wife and I would go by their house every day to check on the cats the the self cleaning one was always jammed or constantly running. Kathy and I have 2 cats and we have never thought about one of those. We do have one cat that would be afraid of it and the other would try and play with it if we got one.

Kevin, I had a good laugh with this drinking the morning coffee....first time I read it I laughed and thought that's a picture I can't get out of my head now.....(yes, I realize you meant spent as in $$$..... :huepfenlol2: )
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:17:13 AM by Haird »

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »

If you do be sure and cover the seat. A friend of mine has a brand new triglide and had it a week when cats got under his cover and clawed his seat pulling the stuffing out. He now has a heavy mat that he straps down on it. If it were mine I would have solved the problem in a little less humane manner.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »

im kind of lucky with this CAT BOX deal, i have a shop cat at work. he showed up about 3 years ago. i have a cat door on back of my office wall and i have no idea where that cat dose his wizzness... unless some one puts floor dry down in the shop   :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 07:15:05 PM »

Consuela.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »

Consuela.

I was gonna ask what you'll do after they deport her back to Mexico and build a wall but then I noticed you're from Canada. You'll have a flood of kitty litter wranglers when they get kicked out of the USA.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »

Kevin, I had a good laugh with this drinking the morning coffee....first time I read it I laughed and thought that's a picture I can't get out of my head now.....(yes, I realize you meant spent as in $$$..... :huepfenlol2: )

Lol, I guess I could have worded it better.  ;D

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »

I must have been asleep when I first saw this.  I thought the post was about CVO self cleaning lifters and I was curious lol
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.