Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS warm up......Anyone???  (Read 1643 times)

Glenncarp

GPS warm up......Anyone???
« on: January 13, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »

Anyone have a reason why it takes the HD Infotainment center GPS so long to warm up? Seems like that is so 90's! Riding buddy has an Indian and as soon as he turns on ignition, GPS is ready to go.

I have found a work around.....sort of, but still annoying.

Workaround is: when you are putting helmet, jacket, etc, etc, turn bike on to "AUX", when you do this, GPS warms up, when you switch to "run" it does not cycle off and you can start route right away. Just wondering if anyone has a reason for the long delay.

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: GPS warm up......Anyone???
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:18 PM »

That's my work around as well. It's not only the nav. The cb and phone take a while as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »

great work around, thanks!
Alan

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:15:06 AM »

Why so long to start?  Another example of HD's cutting edge technical genius that is the I-taint.  Think it takes the hamster a minute to wake up & then get up to I-taint speed on his wheel, dealer will say "they all do that."   ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 05:50:54 AM »

This was my main reason for not purchasing a 18 being the dinosaur infotainment system that is now 5yrs old.  Honda uses Harman as well as their infotainment supplier and I see the new Gold Wing has a new system.  See if HD can finally get a user friendly system that works as one should in this generation.  If not then no sale to me.

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »

Anyone have a reason why it takes the HD Infotainment center GPS so long to warm up? Seems like that is so 90's! Riding buddy has an Indian and as soon as he turns on ignition, GPS is ready to go.

In designing the Ride Command Infotainment system, Indian Motorcycle did make a conscious effort to out-perform H-D in every way. For the most part, they succeeded...but at a cost. A common complaint of Indian owners with the Ride Command feature is that the system drains their battery when parked. Apparently the “quick boot” feature creates a drain on the battery. It appears a firmware fix may be in the works, but most Indian dealers recommend you attach a trickle charger if the bike is going to be parked for more than a week.

Seems every motorcycle manufacturer’s Infotainment system has its quirks.

UPDATE: Several Indian riders have recently diagnosed the battery drain problem as being a result of the tourpak not closing completely, leaving the interior light on.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:15:12 AM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »

In designing the Ride Command Infotainment system, Indian Motorcycle did make a conscious effort to out-perform H-D in every way. For the most part, they succeeded...but at a cost. A common complaint of Indian owners with the Ride Command feature is that the system drains their battery when parked. Apparently the “quick boot” feature creates a drain on the battery. It appears a firmware fix may be in the works, but most Indian dealers recommend you attach a trickle charger if the bike is going to be parked for more than a week.

Apparently the 'quick boot' feature is similar to the 'instant on' feature some TVs had back in the day before everything was solid state.  What made it instant on (or quick boot I guess) is that some power was applied to the system even when turned off.  That way it didn't have to warm up or go through its startup routine.  I can certainly see how this would drain the battery.  Think I prefer the H-D system to that.  i too use the warm up routine by turning the ignition to accessory when I get to the bike and usually by the time I'm geared up and moving it is too.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Glenncarp

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »

Hmm, buddy has never had battery issue. One thing I found is their system was VERY limited at first, you could not import or export routs, Indian was believed to have riders plan routes on the bike....On a 7" screen, yeah, right. But with software updates, they now added that option. Just completed latest HD update.....Found no notable changes found.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »

I hate when I go to take off and the NAV is not ready. I like the idea of the AUX start up.
Bill

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.