Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non CVO owner looking for advice, opinions  (Read 1956 times)

joe98

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO
Non CVO owner looking for advice, opinions
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »

Good day fellas;  I wasn't sure where to post this question(s) so I guess I'll try here.  I've been riding my 2008 Street Glide since new, hopped up the motor to a107 HQ kit.  Makes decent power, I've added 10" Wild 1 apes.  A great bike, but I'm really starting to like these newer touring models.  I've come across two really clean super low mileage bikes :  2017 Ultra Ltd M8 with barely 2,000 miles. It's a completely stock bike black quartz paint.  Second bike is a 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Orange & Black big city graphics , very clean and only 3,500 miles.  I don't know much about CVO models, only that they are loaded with options, have a killer paint job, and the lager SE 110 motor.  This is where I need your help.  My Street Glide makes about 98 hp 117 tq with no head work.  It took a very long time to get dialled in due to the lack of quality Dino tuners in my area Toronto, Canada.  What can I expect out of the SE 110 in this Ultra (2012) ?   
I've read about lifter issues, valve guides and compensators.  I'm on the third one in my 08 Flhx .
Just wanted to ask your opinions on the two bikes, advantages/disadvantages of the M8 bike vs the SE CVO Ultra .
Forgot to ask:  do the CVO bikes come with the Screaming Super Pro Tuner from the factory ?
FYI:  the CVO bike was imported into Canada in April 2013 from Indiana, US and the Ultra Ltd is an original Canadian bike .
Sorry for the long post and many questions....

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Non CVO owner looking for advice, opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:28:18 AM »

First, the question with a definite answer:  No, CVOs do not come with any tuner from the factory.

The 110" engine with good header, mufflers, air cleaner and a good dyno tune will make peak numbers similar to your 107, but might make higher torque at lower RPM.  Can't say for sure without seeing a dyno sheet for your bike, and not knowing which cam it has or what else was done, like heads and compression.  OTOH, the SG is much lighter, so it will probably outrun the SEUC.

The M8 will have less vibration than the Twin Cam engines, and I find them much better in stop n go traffic b/c of water cooling and b/c M8 delivers power at low RPM, making takeoff easier.  I prefer the TC level of vibes, but wife likes smoothness of the M8.

If resale value and how quickly it sells down the road matters, the TC pre-Rushmore versions are already two generations behind the M8 in engine technology, and one big generation behind in fairing/saddle bag/tour pak tech.  Then again, many buyers are swayed by the paint, chrome, and accessories on the CVO.  It only took 3 months for my 2011 SERGU w/ 48,000 miles to sell from the dealer's floor--in December, when bike sales in Oregon are slow b/c of rain.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

joe98

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  My 107 doesn't have any modifications to the heads, completely stock except for manual comp releases.  Yes the M8 is a very smooth running motor.  I noticed this when on Harley demo days, just didn't like clutch feel & release point/engagement.  It's very snowy & cold here , dealer can't take bike out for test ride.  Gonna go check it out today.. thanks for your help..

Joe

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »

Clutch on the 2017 will take some getting used to.  A friend with a 2017 had a new clutch handle installed to decrease clutch lever travel, he hated the clutch, I got used to mine after a week or so.

Had 2 bikes with 110 motors - 2007 & 2010 both CVO Ultras.  Fun to ride, good power.  No comparison to my 2017 CVO Limited.  Much prefer the 2017, would buy it again in a heartbeat.  Handling, suspension, comfort, torque/power band, quieter motor, bag & tour pak releases & lighting all great improvements.  Wife says 2017 much more comfortable than the previous 2.  Downside is the Infotainment screen.  Works ok as a radio & MP3 & can be made to work as a GPS (clunky) but is not as user friendly as it could have been if it had been designed by humans who use stuff they design.

Buy the bike you like best  - that's the key.  Other folks know what they like best, what's important is what you prefer.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:48:51 AM »

My motor has had a couple changes since then, but my stage 1, 110" (fullsac DX, Kuryakyn Crushers) did 98HP/114TQ, making 100TQ at 2300rpm.

I wish you luck with either bike. It's amazing how many people buy these bikes, deck them out, and then use them to check their mail twice a year. You get an almost new bike with a big discount. That's what I did!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 02:04:51 AM »

Good day fellas;  I wasn't sure where to post this question(s) so I guess I'll try here.  I've been riding my 2008 Street Glide since new, hopped up the motor to a107 HQ kit.  Makes decent power, I've added 10" Wild 1 apes.  A great bike, but I'm really starting to like these newer touring models.  I've come across two really clean super low mileage bikes :  2017 Ultra Ltd M8 with barely 2,000 miles. It's a completely stock bike black quartz paint.  Second bike is a 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Orange & Black big city graphics , very clean and only 3,500 miles.  I don't know much about CVO models, only that they are loaded with options, have a killer paint job, and the lager SE 110 motor.  This is where I need your help.  My Street Glide makes about 98 hp 117 tq with no head work.  It took a very long time to get dialled in due to the lack of quality Dino tuners in my area Toronto, Canada.  What can I expect out of the SE 110 in this Ultra (2012) ?   
I've read about lifter issues, valve guides and compensators.  I'm on the third one in my 08 Flhx .
Just wanted to ask your opinions on the two bikes, advantages/disadvantages of the M8 bike vs the SE CVO Ultra .
Forgot to ask:  do the CVO bikes come with the Screaming Super Pro Tuner from the factory ?
FYI:  the CVO bike was imported into Canada in April 2013 from Indiana, US and the Ultra Ltd is an original Canadian bike .
Sorry for the long post and many questions....
My 2015 CVO Streetglide made 100h.p/116.7 torque with a SE 585 cam installed at my local Harley dealer and MGS pipes.   I switched pipes to a Fullsach and 1.75 Power cores and added a 58mm t.b.  My torque hit 100 sooner, and I gained 10 h.p but lost 3 ft lbs of torque.  Now my numbers are at 110/114. The bike is still under extended warranty through ESP and if something happens then I will send my heads out to Don at HDSP in Washington to 0 deck them and perform his Streetpro Magic...and I will throw a MLS head gasket and look for 10.3:1 compression since I ride alot all over the country...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:08:31 PM »

the 12 is an up grade from where your at with the 07, the 17 is what "i" would want. you can add the chrome to the 17 but you cant add the tec to the 12
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 01:20:11 PM »

Well Joe this is just my input....I have a 2013 CVO Ultra. The last year of the "old style" inner fairings. I am not a fan of the Rushmore fairings. It just isn't Harley looking. I like the gauges and the layout. I could care less about a touchscreen and the stereo on the new bikes. I rarely use my stereo I have. I like the sound of my bike and the peacefulness of the wind going down the road. The feel of the old V-twins is like no other. Now I am not knocking mother H/D for improvements or "keeping up with the Jones". That is progress. My pick between your 2 would be the 2012. This is the only year the tour pack came with the chrome accent around the lights and the first year of the LED lights. The orange paint is one of the best paint jobs I have seen. I like being different than everyone else. You won't see many bikes like that one riding around compared to the other. That 110 will be fine with some good maint. This winter I put rocker lockers and S&S lifters in at 20,000 miles. This quieted the motor big time and I also took out a possible failure point (lifters). Both cheep fixes and done in 1 day by myself. That 2012 pumkin is what I call a needle in a haystack with only 3,500 miles on it.
Good luck with your pick.....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:46:22 PM by ultra13 »

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.